Why the hell am I so into batch files nowdays?

Talk about general topics regarding Re-Volt and the community.
ElectricBee

Why the hell am I so into batch files nowdays?

Unread post by ElectricBee » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:45 pm

Some of you may had noticed; I've been posting things with batch files, and doing much of nothing else. Well, me using Windows has a lot to do with it (otherwise I would probably be doing shell scripts on Linux), but also with how many unique operations are required to apply (and undo) certain items, it gets real tedious, real fast to do a lot of what I enjoy by hand.

I like options, I like choices, but most of all I like them to be relatively easy. That's where the batch scripts really come in; it's easier for the end user to have a script where they can wax on, wax off in seconds rather than minutes, and the way I prefer to do things; with links, links and more links makes it so there aren't duplicate files taking up your system's free space (a matter of contention with the popularity of lower-capacity SSD boot media not paired with larger media for storage).

For some larger projects, like the Tsunami Visual arcade skins for stock cars the batch script comes in real handy because 215 individual files, five per across twenty-three different directories have to be managed. And if you don't like it? Then what? So being able to apply them (and later, remove them) with a batch script makes using them dead-easy.

...Too easy. Even though my scripts are 100% safe and don't download anything for the end-user, and I drone on about what my stuff does to imply some degree of confidence my work is safe for everyone to use, I still encourage moderators to put into serious regard the safety of scripts by anyone, including myself. The same script I use which coaches the user into pushing buttons and automating things can also be used for evil, and I encourage vigilance for everyone when dealing with any kind of automation routine. Read the code. If it isn't easy to understand and it appears to download things from the Internet using unfamiliar addresses, don't execute it, rather report it.

Aside from that, everything I've been submitting puts the end-user first, so long they understand it and are willing to put a touch of work into... making it work. Which is a good thing because then they can read the code and see how it works. If they don't like it, they don't have to use it. But I provide the option for you because I know how people are. If it's the least bit inconvenient, a lot of you will just ignore it and I try to exert as little inconvenience to the end-user at the best of my ability.
I do, not for God or country, because dead men profess no faith, neither do they have a home.
Previously-active member of Re-Volt Live. Contributor of silly things. Smart enough to be dangerous.
svito

Re: Why the hell am I so into batch files nowdays?

Unread post by svito » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:17 am

There is proper solution like package manager or store. While this is harmless by itself, it sets a bad example for creators.

It is developer's role to create systems to install, update, upload and review user-made content. User made content that is not executable should not require trust or specific additional software made by each and every creator.

Everything is currently dumped into single archive file, as there is no concept of what files are development files (which should be version controlled and stored somewhere), what is metadata (like fields you fill out when submitting content on RVZ) and what is release content (actual files used by the game).
ElectricBee

Re: Why the hell am I so into batch files nowdays?

Unread post by ElectricBee » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:54 pm

Well here is the thing about that. I create my scripts specfically so they can be re-executed to remove content. I know it's not the best example to set, but really what the hell else can I do?

If somebody drops in over two-hundred files for something they didn't want, they'd have to waste their sweet time looking through their cars directory removing skins they didn't want. No noob who hardly knows what they're doing wants to bother with that.

I already explained all of this, my use cases where batch makes sense and such in my OP. I would never, ever, ever provide a car better off submitted to RVZ with a batch file unless it's expressly to adapt a car for RVGL using multiple skins, which came as a pack of multiple cars with the same exact stats originally. With RVGL skin selection this opens more possibilities by not hitting the 256 car wall heavy modders encounter by "Compressing" their car library so they have all of their different skins for cars they want to keep, but not have multiple of for the sake of appearance.
I do, not for God or country, because dead men profess no faith, neither do they have a home.
Previously-active member of Re-Volt Live. Contributor of silly things. Smart enough to be dangerous.