Spa-Volt Diary

Post about the progress of your projects.
Instant
Discord: Instant#4105

Re: Spa-Volt Diary

Unread post by Instant » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:59 am

yusufcihan wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:55 am
I can't wait to play this map. :)
Hi.
Last edited by Instant on Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiwi

Unread post by Kiwi » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:34 am

Instant wrote: It might be a good idea to use the spoiler tag for the images next time you do a similar topic, because it takes up a lot of space and you can only start reading the text after all images loaded.
Thx for the hint. I did this for the whole topic now, so it should be much better to read.
yusufcihan wrote: Also, when your map is finished, can you make Battle tag version of this map?
Yes Yusufcihan, I'm planning to do a Battle-Tag version of Spa-Volt, as well a Stunt-Arena version. :)
But different to my first plans, I will release them after Spa-Volt 2 is released.
Pyves

Unread post by Pyves » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:17 am

I have been following your diary for quite a while, I was excited to try this out. Nice work, I enjoy racing Spa-Volt a lot! It's challenging and there's a great overall atmosphere and attention to details. Somehow, it reminds me on the classic "Quake!" track by Gabor. ;)

My only negative observation would be regarding the main sound track, I would have maybe expected something closer to the lounge genre, which would have possibly been a better fit here. But it's only a minor point, you've done a great job altogether!
Last edited by Pyves on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiwi

Unread post by Kiwi » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks Pyves, glad you like it :) It's such a big honor to me, that it reminds you of Quake!, because this is one of my favorite track since the beginning of the 2000s, and it was a big influence for Spa-Volt.

Regarding the soundtrack, it's interesting to hear your opinion, so I want to tell you a little bit more about the process:

I had 5 to 6 songs in the end selection. I had a very detailed idea of the song i wanted. It shouldn't be lounge-like. Yes, at a first look such a song would fit the Spa-theme best. BUT I think it doesn't fit the overall Re-Volt style, and this was also very important for me. Also, it's strange to race with a lounge style track, because it doesn't push you enough, when it has to low bpm (I tried this also). Instead, I wanted a fast song, which has some melancholic/gloomy atmosphere, fitting the rain, wind and darkness. I think it took me 3-4 hours, to decide which song it should be, so I really put some time into this, it was not an overhasty decision.

For Spa-Volt 2, I also have chosen the song already, it's a little bit different. :)
Pyves

Unread post by Pyves » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:44 pm

Fair enough, I get your point about the music. Looking forward to your next creations. ;)
Kiwi

Unread post by Kiwi » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:27 pm

I've released an Update for Spa-Volt 1 today. (Version 1.1)

You can download it at RVZ.

Thanks to Wichilie for this awesome new AI-nodes! Singleplayer is now fun at Spa-Volt. :)

Also, the performance on older PC's should be better now, especially at the outdoor pool area.

Here the complete changelog:
- Corrected the zap spark bug (steam instead of electricity)
- Corrected the bomb spark bug (steam instead of sparks)
- Corrected the invisible wall issue at the technic room
- Corrected the startpostion bug (Y-axis)
- Corrected several clipping errors (ramps, obstacles)
- Corrected several mapping errors
- Corrected some pureblack issues (clocks, doors)
- Adjusted some trackzones to avoid unintended shortcuts
- Adjusted starfire.wav sound
- Adjusted time trial times to beat
- Adjusted indoor whirlpool spark effects
- Changed slippery signs to moveable objects (also in multiplayer)
- Changed some pickup positions
- Optimized outdoor pool spark effects (better performance)
- Optimized camera nodes
- Completly new AI-nodes
- Added pipe shaft coverages in technic room
- Added indoor pool spark effects
- Added some more camera shorteners
- Added some wine bottles in the restaurant area