Satellite images experiment

Post your own tools and resources, as well as your cars and tracks.
javildesign
Discord: javildesign#5647

Satellite images experiment

Unread post by javildesign » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi all!

Sometimes I need to distance myself from a current project to gain more creativity and then I like to experiment with some nice ideas I have in stock. This time I wanted to use a satellite image to create a track.

The whole idea is to create a track from real existing roads. Or gritty and dirty forest roads. And I don't want to spent too much time on modeling and texturing. One day track building I wanted to call it. I think a day is maybe too ambitious, but maybe only modeling in a day could be done. I did some tests and I'm very happy with the result. Modeling only took one hour. Then I baked the ambient lighting, positioned the skybox to match the sunlight and voilà.

I did not use any elevation map data, which could help to determine how high certain area's are. But I don't want that for this project because the satellite images that I found interesting to build on, are completely flat by terrain. So I had to find a way to create my own random elevation terrain.

This video below shows my progress so far. This is a completely non-optimized texture. I think I can make progress in precise image-editing.

Video from this on Youtube:

Some images from RVGL and Blender:

Re: Satellite images experiment

Unread post by 607 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:15 am

Hey, that's interesting! I don't think it looks great, but if possible, it could be cool to race through places you know (but with a huge car :P).
javildesign

Unread post by javildesign » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:29 pm

Thanks 607!

I have an update on this "experiment" track.
This week I tried to add some elements to the track. Like tires, billboards, fences and guardrails etc.

Further I'm looking for a good name for this track.
I searched the surroundings of this area on google-maps for a good name but find it difficult to choose.
Here are some options, which one do you like the most? Or does anyone have another idea?
  • Topsey
  • Pidcoke
  • Antelope
  • Antelope crossing
  • Table Rock
  • Shell Mountain Road
  • Turkey Run
On the discord channel I ask if people like to send in a flag design, so I will ask it here also.
I have some room left for custom designs, so if anyone like to contribute..?
You can pm me any question related to that, or send the design to my email or discord.
Durtvan Ludwig

Unread post by Durtvan Ludwig » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:26 pm

Antelope crossing, perhaps?

Unread post by 607 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:48 pm

None of the names seem very good, to be honest. At the same time, I think any would be okay, although I think 'Topsy' and 'Turkey Run' would give rise to ideas about the track that are untrue.
javildesign

Unread post by javildesign » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:05 pm

Yeah, I don't like them so much either.. These names are in the surrounding area of that map. I like the idea to stick to the original or close to the original area. But maybe that's not a good idea. I will try to think of some new names.