RV Soundtrack Project

Post about the progress of your projects.
Marv
Developer

Re-Volt RV Soundtrack Project

Unread post by Marv » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:29 pm

RV Soundtrack Project

Tracks: Download all available files for in-game use

Tracks without candidates:
We're done! Feel free to submit more candidates. We'll put candidates up to a vote and then decide which one stays in redbook and which one will be put in the 'music' folder for use with arenas and custom levels.

Note: We're explicitly looking for more tracks than the original soundtrack has! Your music can be also used for custom tracks in the online pack, battle tag modes, stunt arenas, etc.

The goal is to create a replacement of Re-Volt's original soundtrack and have it ready by the end of the year 2018.

Your music track should be recognizable as one of the following genres:
- (acid) trance
- house
- some elements of downtempo
- (electronic)

and it should resemble the style of the Re-Volt soundtrack as closely as possible while not using samples of it. That means you also cannot use the samples from the N64 version of the game.
No remixes - completely new tracks that follow the style of the OST.

Here are some clues:
Acid-y synths, guitar samples, cheesy vocal samples, ...

The tracks should be 3 minutes in length or more. We're also looking for a credits tune and jingles for championship won/lost, those can be shorter!

The final music tracks can be handed over to me in the FLAC format (or .wav/any other common lossless format).

When the project is done, we're going to distribute it through our website and package it with the game releases.

Tools
You're free to use whatever program you'd like. My favorite free (or open-sourced) are:
- SunVox (music tracker)
- Audacity (audio editor)
- Ardour (DAW)
- LMMS (DAW)
- ...do you know more?

You don't need to be a pro at making music. I don't have much experience myself but I'm going to work on a track using SunVox.

Who's up for it?
Wichilie

Re: RV Soundtrack Project

Unread post by Wichilie » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:22 pm

I don't have much experience in creating music, but I can definitely give it a shot ^^
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:58 pm

Sounds like a good idea, and fun project.

I have some experience in doing music (I loved to use Magix Music Maker two decades ago (guess it must be 1997, or 1998), and made some really cheesy Re-Volt style tracks with it), but sadly I have to much other projects at the moment. :? But I will keep it in mind, maybe I find some time in between my other projects to work on one track or two.

Ciao, Kiwi

Unread post by 607 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:43 am

Ah, this again. :P Last time it didn't get any entries, did it? Or did it get one?
I won't be participating. I don't have experience with this type of music. I've heard a bit of the Re-Volt soundtrack, but not even that much, as I don't particularly enjoy it. I also haven't composed in a similar style, ever.
Kirioso

Unread post by Kirioso » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:09 pm

I'll gladly participate in this! Essentially having made an account here just to say this.

I've been lurking around the forums for ages, even joining the discord server a little while back. Always wanted to help and contribute to the game and the community, but never quite knowing where to start and what to do. This finally seems like the perfect time for me to do just that, *while* also doing the thing I love to do the most!

Having been feverishly making music for atleast 3 years now I'd gladly take a shot at creating several tracks for the game.

I've got a few questions though: How do i participate? Just make stuff and send it in? If so, then where and when? in the discord server or somehwere else?

Thanks in advance!
Marv
Developer

Unread post by Marv » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:31 pm

@Kiwi and Wichilie: Can't wait to hear what you guys come up with :)

I also used Magix Music Maker yeaaars ago...
Kirioso wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:09 pm I've got a few questions though: How do i participate? Just make stuff and send it in? If so, then where and when? in the discord server or somehwere else?
I'm really glad to hear you're interested!

You can just upload it somewhere and post it here on the forums or just send it directly through discord, that's up to you :)

Also feel free to share your progress here!
OdieHerpaderp

Unread post by OdieHerpaderp » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Hey guys, while it's great to see everyone set out to do their own thing, i think it might prove useful that we work on getting a main melody/theme worked up first, so that we can build upon a memorable and cohesive theme. I'll be gone for the weekend, but after that, i'll be contributing some ideas and whatnot.
Onkelz-Freak1993

Unread post by Onkelz-Freak1993 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Hey,

here's my try on the 'Credits'-Song.

http://picosong.com/wCg4c/

Unread post by 607 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:47 pm

I did get MAGIX Music Maker in the VEGAS Pro Bundle. I haven't tried it out yet, though. Actually, I will do, I should know whether I could use it for something.
Floxit

Unread post by Floxit » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:18 pm

I'm practicing a little jazzy arrangement around the Frontend by piano, but this is not a original music and of course, this is not really good for the game, except maybe for chilling if we can add a lobby music. :grimacing:

I have the project to make the sheet soon, so I could export a piano midi file with a good piano (because I'm awful to play it myself by piano, but we'll see).
The last belgian standing and pushing on Re-Volt. :hausderp:
L!LMexican

Unread post by L!LMexican » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:58 am

I’ll glady participate in this, mainly the genre i would work with is mainly downtempo, I can also try Electronic. Still need to learn overall, but the end of 2018 should be more than enough time.
I'm Gonna Pass You.

Taro
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:08 am

I‘m more and more in the mood for this project. Is this SunVox program Marv mentioned compareable to Magix Music Maker? According to the screenshots it seems so.

My first track would be a House track (Like Museum 2), because I have some experience with it already. I don‘t listen to house or Techno music normally, but in my opinion it‘s the easiest to begin with. ;)

Can we maybe compile a list of sources for free sound samples? (Is this the correct word for it? Example: A base drum I can move into one track of the program, a hi-hat I can move to another track of the program, and so on...)
Marv
Developer

Unread post by Marv » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:28 am

Kiwi wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:08 am Is this SunVox program Marv mentioned compareable to Magix Music Maker? According to the screenshots it seems so.
MMM is a music editing program and has features that SunVox probably doesn't have.
SunVox is a music tracker, that means you're sequencing your music note by note and program in effects by setting flags on the notes. You also have to create the instruments yourself using a node based editor that enables you to connect synths and other generators with effect blocks.
Kiwi wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:08 am Can we maybe compile a list of sources for free sound samples? (Is this the correct word for it? Example: A base drum I can move into one track of the program, a hi-hat I can move to another track of the program, and so on...)
I think I've seen something like that on the SunVox forums, too. Feel free to post anything you find, I'd be interested :)

Unread post by 607 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:22 am

For drums, I usually use sounds from this pack. http://99sounds.org/drum-samples/
There are other packs on this site as well, that might be useful. :)
Kirioso

Unread post by Kirioso » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:45 pm

This is the first track that I have finished out of I don't know how many I'm planning to do!
Made to replace "track06".

A discord link will have to do for now:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... rack06.ogg
Pyves

Unread post by Pyves » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:22 pm

Kirioso wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:45 pm This is the first track that I have finished out of I don't know how many I'm planning to do!
Made to replace "track06".

A discord link will have to do for now:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... rack06.ogg
Nice track! ;)
Nomiborb

Unread post by Nomiborb » Mon May 07, 2018 10:30 pm

Hey, I think I'll give this a shot, I've been making music for about 5 years now and I really like this idea. It'll be at least a couple of weeks I imagine
Marv
Developer

Unread post by Marv » Mon May 07, 2018 10:54 pm

Nomiborb wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:30 pm Hey, I think I'll give this a shot, I've been making music for about 5 years now and I really like this idea. It'll be at least a couple of weeks I imagine
Sounds good! This projects runs as long as we want to :)
aryo_adhi

Unread post by aryo_adhi » Mon May 28, 2018 9:35 pm

I don't think I can do it, but I'd like to see this project runs. I contacted my friends who also the composer to take a look at this project (and hopefully can compose together) because from June until July I'm free.
Nomiborb

Unread post by Nomiborb » Tue May 29, 2018 10:59 am

Quick progress update, I have a lot of ideas but it's difficult getting the right feel. At first I was trying to go for a sort of joyful yet energetic song but re-listening to the soundtrack shows it's more like a 90s or early 2000s "cool" aesthetic.
Here are some early works-in-progress that I have but I might scrap all of them:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iCMdM ... pq6YJlUAcv
Marv
Developer

Unread post by Marv » Tue May 29, 2018 5:11 pm

Nomiborb wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:59 am Quick progress update, I have a lot of ideas but it's difficult getting the right feel. At first I was trying to go for a sort of joyful yet energetic song but re-listening to the soundtrack shows it's more like a 90s or early 2000s "cool" aesthetic.
Here are some early works-in-progress that I have but I might scrap all of them:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iCMdM ... pq6YJlUAcv
It's a good start! Idea 1 is definitely pretty energetic and catchy. Idea 2 and 3 are my favourites. 5 is also pretty nice. Keep it up and don't scrap them!
The Man

Unread post by The Man » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:49 am

Hi.
So I made some music for the menu, winning music, losing music and credits of course.
Since I find that those pieces belong together, I made all of them myself.
Behind the link there are also the other candidates.
:re-volt:
I'm new to this forum but I've played Re-Volt a lot - original disc..
and its music has been one of the greatest sources of inspiration for me.
Last edited by The Man on Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Marv
Developer

Unread post by Marv » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:49 am

The Man wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:49 am Hi.
So I made some music for the menu, winning music, losing music and credits of course.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsQ7GYXBQTpAhvQrotNeHSLYfA1kYQ
Whoah! I'm a fan!
I'm glad you took the time to make those tracks.
The synth/pads you used definitely give me a 90s vibe. The drums are nice and punchy and remind me of the funkier tracks of the original soundtrack.
There are a few dissonances here and there in the menu music but I think they fit quite well, I'm glad you took the artistic freedom. It sounds very original! I'm also glad you put some vocal samples in :)
I'll put them up as candidates for their respective tracks.
Thanks a lot!
Oh, and while I'm not the one to choose the new version's songs, the two candidates were superb!
In the end, I'd love to let the community decide which candidates will be used in the final version, so it is up to you as well ;)
The Man

Unread post by The Man » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:30 pm

I know that some of you are also working on the soundtrack so...
If you don't have the best software to work with, I propose that you give me the ready-made track
for mixing... When I was studying as a musician, I got a little bit cheaper Ableton licence,
and it's got very good sound engineering possibilities...

I asked some friends to give vocal performances for the tracks 03, 04 and 05.
I even asked a friend to record his baby girl to give that feeling of the stop in the song.
-
THEMAN
-
By the way is track01 some kind of logo/intro music?
Last edited by The Man on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marv
Developer

Unread post by Marv » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:16 am

The Man wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:30 pm By the way is track01 some kind of logo/intro music?
The first track on the disc is game data (info).