Give player(s) host permissions

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
Instant

Give player(s) host permissions

Unread post by Instant » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:20 am

Concept is simple, a feature that'd allow hosts to give/revoke host permissions to/from other player(s), allowing them to restart the race, change track, move to spec/kick players, change settings etc.
Purpose: with some help, those who cannot forward ports could host their own sessions with ease, whoever is taking the role of the host wouldn't have to stick around to keep the session going, could just run rvgl in the background.
Giving permissions would work the same way kicking/moving to spec works.
hajducsekb

Re: Give player(s) host permissions

Unread post by hajducsekb » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:43 am

I think this would be a great thing to implement. This could not only help those people who would like to host and can't port forward, but also those hosts that become busy during a session. In this case, the race could go on using someone else's control, while the main host could go and do their things. My dream would eventually be to have an ability to set a failsafe host, and in case something goes wrong on the main host's end, it could automatically reconnect to the backup. This could also be a step towards that. ;)
HAJDUC DOT COM
URV
Administrator

Unread post by URV » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:15 pm

Agreed, this would be incredibly useful. I'd also add that it would make dedicated servers a lot more feasible if we had a way to automatically assign host permissions to certain players (based on IP, maybe).
VaidX47
Administrator

Unread post by VaidX47 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Hosts could pass their permissions and hosting ability to another player without closing a lobby in v1.2, don't remember why it didn't make it to RVGL.
Giving permissions (without changing host) to one or multiple people is a new suggestion though.
aka Vaid; >[MediaFire Stuff]<
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:24 am

I have to look into this when working on dedicated server support. There were complications with the v1.2 implementation which is why it didn't make it in RVGL.