PC or Dreamcast OST preference?

Talk about general topics regarding Re-Volt and the community.
kingmustard

PC or Dreamcast OST preference?

Unread post by kingmustard » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:26 pm

I downloaded the gog.com release and it came with two versions of the soundtrack:

Do you have a preference? Does the scene?
ZipperZbieracz

Re: PC or Dreamcast OST preference?

Unread post by ZipperZbieracz » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:33 pm

Gog.com release? Where, when?
kingmustard

Unread post by kingmustard » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:54 pm

ZipperZbieracz wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:33 pm Gog.com release? Where, when?
www.gog.com/news/release_revolt (October 3, 2013).

Has since been taken down since 2014 but still easy to find.
Last edited by kingmustard on Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manmountain

Unread post by Manmountain » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:51 pm

The general whole story of why it is no longer officially available on GOG.
https://www.gog.com/forum/revolt/revolt ... gcom/page1
Still active comments keeping the community informed though. ;) :D
ZipperZbieracz

Unread post by ZipperZbieracz » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:18 am

I know the story therefore I thought it is not downloadable from gog directly
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:04 am

Does this mean that Re-Volt still can be downloaded from GOG? I was not able to find a Store page with Buy/Download links for it.
URV
Administrator

Unread post by URV » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:14 pm

It cannot. The method used to obtain the GOG version was likely not via an official source.

For what is worth, we also have these soundtracks on RVIO. As far as I can tell, the main difference is that the Dreamcast version is louder, and also has intros added to the songs. It's the version I personally prefer, and have replaced the original redbook folder with it (it's also the version we include by default in the main game download, albeit in OGG format).

Edit: Actually, it seems like the differences go beyond what I said above. Here's a visual comparison of the two via Audacity:

Top one is the Dreamcast version, bottom is the PC version. As you can see, the latter is shorter and also has a fair bit of clipping. Incidentally, I could not make the PC version fully match any parts of the DC version just by dragging it around, so it seems like it's been remixed as well.
Last edited by URV on Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update
kingmustard

Unread post by kingmustard » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:31 pm

URV wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:14 pm It cannot. The method used to obtain the GOG version was likely not via an official source.

For what is worth, we also have these soundtracks on RVIO. As far as I can tell, the main difference is that the Dreamcast version is louder, and also has intros added to the songs. It's the version I personally prefer, and have replaced the original redbook folder with it (it's also the version we include by default in the main game download, albeit in OGG format).

Edit: Actually, it seems like the differences go beyond what I said above. Here's a visual comparison of the two via Audacity:

<image snipped>

Top one is the Dreamcast version, bottom is the PC version. As you can see, the latter is shorter and also has a fair bit of clipping. Incidentally, I could not make the PC version fully match any parts of the DC version just by dragging it around, so it seems like it's been remixed as well.
I'm not getting the same results as you are.

These are screenshots of two songs from the 2014 gog release:

Frontend

Credits

(due to the forum skin, you may need to right-click on the image and click 'Open image in new tab' to see the full-size images)

Unread post by 607 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:56 pm

Hm, that's interesting. Were the soundtracks on RV I/O ripped straight from the disks?
Elekid

Unread post by Elekid » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:15 pm

kingmustard wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:26 pm Do you have a preference? Does the scene?
Personally I like the PC version the most and that's the one I use when I'm not listening to my own music. I think the answer to your question is that you should simply stick to the one you like the most. The scene does not have any general preference about this. It's just very personal. One site in particular has been including the DC soundtrack as the "default" one for some time. However, this is just because of the site owners' personal preference and it could have been otherwise. Many users later end up changing the default soundtrack to their own music, switching from DC to PC or even just turning the music off. It's up to you.
URV
Administrator

Unread post by URV » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:05 pm

That's interesting, my first guess would be that the GOG versions may have been edited, or at least the DC version may have been reduced in volume to the same level as the PC version. Here's what the frontend and credits music looks like on my end (PC on top, DC on bottom):

Frontend:
Same image with clipping graph enabled.

Credits:

And for good measure, here's Toys for the Boys:

Interestingly enough, it was the DC tracks this time around that had a lot of clipping. I wonder if it's related to the FLAC format? None of the clipping is actually noticeable in-game, nor while listening to the file directly.

As you can see, there isn't much of a difference between the two versions when it comes to the frontend or credits music, volume aside. Could you show me what the following tracks look like on your end, both PC and DC?
  • 06 - Recharge (or "track07" on my end)
  • 08 - Toys for the Boys (or "track03" on my end)
Better yet, if you're able to share them via PM, I'd be interested in checking out the versions you've got as well.
kingmustard

Unread post by kingmustard » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:49 am

URV wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:05 pm That's interesting, my first guess would be that the GOG versions may have been edited, or at least the DC version may have been reduced in volume to the same level as the PC version. Here's what the frontend and credits music looks like on my end (PC on top, DC on bottom):

Frontend:
<images snipped>

Credits:
<images snipped>

And for good measure, here's Toys for the Boys:
<images snipped>

Interestingly enough, it was the DC tracks this time around that had a lot of clipping. I wonder if it's related to the FLAC format? None of the clipping is actually noticeable in-game, nor while listening to the file directly.

As you can see, there isn't much of a difference between the two versions when it comes to the frontend or credits music, volume aside. Could you show me what the following tracks look like on your end, both PC and DC?
  • 06 - Recharge (or "track07" on my end)
  • 08 - Toys for the Boys (or "track03" on my end)
Better yet, if you're able to share them via PM, I'd be interested in checking out the versions you've got as well.
PM sent :)