[SOLVED] Problem with Spark Generator

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
kiwi

[SOLVED] Problem with Spark Generator

Unread post by kiwi » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:44 pm

I've played my Beehive Valley Adventures track today, and I recognised, that the Spark Generators are not working anymore, as intended.

I have some Spark Generators under a water surface, which should create a water bubble effect. The bubbles should be emmited horizontally, and follow the direction of a river. So I've placed the spark generators so they show in the direction of the river. (Blue arrow)

At the same location there is also a force field, which (normally) accelerate the bubbles as well, in the direction of the river.

However, while playing my track today, this was not working anymore. Instead the bubbles were emmited vertically into the air.

I have recorded a short video where you can see the error: https://streamable.com/ogkmv

To check since which RVGL version this is a problem, I tried with 19.1001a and 19.0430a. (I've just replaced the RVGL.exe) But the error also is present at this versions. I am pretty sure I made the track with 19.0430a, so this is pretty strange.

Any idea?
kiwi

Re: Problem with Spark Generator

Unread post by kiwi » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:54 pm

OK, I've just found out that I have the same issue at my WIP track, School's Out!.

Here a short video: https://streamable.com/lkomt

It's hard to see. But the bubbles should normally be under water. Instead, they will emmited into the air. An interesting fact is, that the sparks emmit in a ~45° angle. Different to the problem posted in my first post, where they emmit in a ~90° angle.

Here how I have placed the spark generator:

In this case, there is no Force Field placed at this located.

I am 100% sure this worked just a few days ago.
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:50 am

Since the time I first played Beehive Valley, the spark was always vertical. I thought it was supposed to be a hot water spring. :D When I loaded it in edit mode, I noticed several things:
  • There is a large Linear field and an Orientation field covering the entire world, and both are directed vertically.
  • In the place shown in your video, there is a horizontal linear field, but the spark generator is not inside it.
I deleted the large Linear and Orientation fields (I did this at first to see things more clearly), then I moved the spark generator further to be included in the horizontal Linear field (I could have increased the field size, but oh well...) The result:

I hope it can help you figure out how to fix it. I'm not sure if the large vertical fields will conflict with this because I didn't try putting it back.
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:31 am

Hmm. Thanks for this info. But why did it changed it's behavior? Why it was vertical for you at the first time you've played it, and not for me? If it would be vertical for me as well, I for sure would have try to corrected this before I released the track.

Also, there are a lot of spark generators around the track. They all emit vertical now, and they all emited horizontal before.

Also big question mark from my side regarding School's Out!, where the sparks were emited horizontally just a few days ago.

For me as a trackmaker it would be important, that the track looks (as good as possible) the same for everyone who download and play it.

It can't be, that this has anything to do with a change in one of the latest RVGL versions?
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:55 am

Kiwi wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:31 am Hmm. Thanks for this info. But why did it changed it's behavior? Why it was vertical for you at the first time you've played it, and not for me? If it would be vertical for me as well, I for sure would have try to corrected this before I released the track.

Also, there are a lot of spark generators around the track. They all emit vertical now, and they all emited horizontal before.
In my copy of Beehive Valley, the spark generator is outside the horizontal field. The sparks are only affected by the vertical fields. I think the real question is why the fields have moved.

Are you sure you hadn't changed something with the fields, between the time it was horizontal and now?

Kiwi wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:31 am It can't be, that this has anything to do with a change in one of the latest RVGL versions?
This is highly unlikely. And you've yourself said:
To check since which RVGL version this is a problem, I tried [...] 19.0430a. [...] But the error also is present at this versions. I am pretty sure I made the track with 19.0430a, so this is pretty strange.
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:18 pm

The issue is gone now.
The positions of the force fields and the spark generators are the same as they were at yesterdays tests.

ALL spark generators emiting the sparks horizontally again for me.

Here a video: https://streamable.com/3io05

Sorry, but there seems to be some kind of inconistency. I will investigate more now.
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:28 pm

Apparently it depends on the frame rate. You get your "normal" behavior when the frame rate is high, and "vertical" behavior when frame rate is low. I have to check which part of the particle physics is tied to frame rate.
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:51 pm

You are right. For some other kind of testing, I had vsync on yesterday. That was also when the sparks were emitted vertically.
Today I've turned vsync off again. And that is the reason, why the sparks are fine (horizontally) today.

Unread post by 607 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:04 pm

How odd!
I think these kinds of issues are very interesting, though; I'm glad they (or at least some of them) are posted on the forum instead of on Discord.
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:31 am

Kiwi wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:51 pm You are right. For some other kind of testing, I had vsync on yesterday. That was also when the sparks were emitted vertically.
Today I've turned vsync off again. And that is the reason, why the sparks are fine (horizontally) today.
Here is a fix for the frame rate dependency. You should check the behaviour of all your sparks with this build. I've tried the area in Beehive Valley (with vsync on and off), and it was fine for me.

rvgl_20.0103a_test_win32.7z
rvgl_20.0103a_test_win64.7z
rvgl_20.0103a_test_linux.7z

607 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:04 pm How odd!
I think these kinds of issues are very interesting, though; I'm glad they (or at least some of them) are posted on the forum instead of on Discord.
I agree. :) It's best to discuss issues on the forum.
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:33 pm

Huki wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:31 am Here is a fix for the frame rate dependency. You should check the behaviour of all your sparks with this build. I've tried the area in Beehive Valley (with vsync on and off), and it was fine for me.
All spark generators behave as intended, when using your test build.