[RVGL Release] 19.1001a

News and announcements about RVGL's development.
Huki
Developer

[RVGL Release] 19.1001a

Unread post by Huki » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:09 am

RVGL has been updated to 19.1001a!

Update:
Download Win32 [ setup | 7z ]
Download Win64 [ setup | 7z ]
Download Linux [ setup | 7z ]
Download Android [ apk ]

Visit the topics for the Android version and the Shader edition for more information.

Goodies:
Download the Dreamcast Pack: rvgl_dcpack.zip (not updated this time)
Download the Community Soundtrack: soundtrack.zip
Download the Controller Map Android app: rvgl_controller_map.apk
More about the update and RVGL: changelog | docs

Full game downloads are available at distribute.re-volt.io.

Time Trial Improvements:
  • The ghost file format is updated. It now saves the RVGL version number, and an additional "Ins:" flag if the record was done with Instances on. (#1082)
  • Track name search is now available in the Best Times menu. (#1089).
  • Downloaded ghost time is displayed in the records list, if the *.lapdownload file is present.
  • Skins are now supported for the ghost car.
Editor Improvements:
Modern editor controls have received several usability fixes.
  • Operations involving Right Click now require holding Shift to avoid conflict with the camera rotation in edit mode. This changes Linking to Shift + Right Click and Chain Linking to Shift + Alt + Right Click.
  • Complementing Ctrl + Left Click for inserting a new node, there is now a chain-create-link operation using Ctrl + Shift + Left Click. This inserts a new node segment and automatically creates a link from the previously selected node.
  • It is now possible to move and manipulate nodes without having to select them first. The behaviour is also improved for moving the racing / overtaking lines that exist at the segment extremities.
  • The camera no longer moves when pressing commands such as Ctrl + S. This means the camera movement is disabled when modifier keys are pressed.
Chain Creation Flow

[hide=Show modern editor controls]
Position Nodes Editor
  • Ctrl + Left Mouse = Add new node
  • Left Mouse on node = Select node
  • Left Mouse Drag on node = Move node
  • Select node + Shift + Right Mouse on another = Connect nodes (order matters)
  • Select node + Shift + Right Mouse on connected node = Disconnect nodes
  • Select node + Shift + Ctrl + Left Mouse = Add new node (chain linking)
  • Ctrl + Left Mouse over connection line = Inserts a node inbetween
  • Delete = Remove node (Selected first, then if any under cursor)
Hold Alt = Changes to "Alt" mode
  • Select node + Shift + Right Mouse for chain linking
AI Segments Editor
Shares similar controls with the position editor
  • Ctrl + Left Mouse = Add new segment
  • Left Mouse on segment = Select segment
  • Left Mouse Drag on segment = Move segment
  • Select segment + Shift + Right Mouse on another = Connect segments (order matters)
  • Select segment + Shift + Right Mouse on connected segment = Disconnect segments
  • Select segment + Shift + Ctrl + Left Mouse = Add new segment (chain linking)
  • Ctrl + Left Mouse over connection line = Inserts a segment inbetween
  • Delete = Remove segment (Selected first, then if any under cursor)
  • Drag white line on selected segment = modifies racing line
Hold Alt = Changes to "Alt" mode
  • Select node + Shift + Right Mouse for chain linking
  • Allows modifying the overtaking line (Drag pink line on selected segment)
  • Clicking on nodes of the segment toggles a wall depending on the side
[/hide]

Save Notifications are improved too. Saving files in edit mode displays an in-game notification text, replacing the system message box. (#427) For files with multiple file format variants, the format used for saving is now configured in the level *.inf. This is currently supported for camera nodes: set "CAMFORMAT 1" to use the new format, or 0 to use the legacy format. By default, the new format is used.

Code: Select all

CAMFORMAT    1  ; Camera nodes format (0:legacy, 1:modern)

Several file limits are extended. The game now supports 1024 Lights, Objects and Instance Models. (#939) Furthermore, the maximum poly count for meshes (world cubes and models) is now 65535.

Other Changes:
  • A new cheat code has been added. Can you guess it and what it does? :eyes:
  • Online: Chat messages can be pasted from clipboard (Ctrl + V).
  • Android: Touch navigation is improved with horizontal scrolling support (hold to scroll) and larger touch regions.
  • Cheat codes can be disabled by adding an '!' at the end (eg, 'CARNIVAL!' to disable the cars cheat).
  • The clockwork grid layout is updated for better spacing.
Bug Fixes:
  • Several editor issues have been fixed. AI node priority values are no longer bugged. Light RGB intensity values can once again go from -1024 to 1024.
  • A rare glitch involving blue flashing in Toy World 1 is fixed. (#1111)
  • Championship points table is properly sorted by position when points are equal.
[hide=Show changelog of this version]
19.1001a:

Add:
  [General]
  - New level *.inf key CAMFORMAT to select the format to be used for saving 
    the camera nodes file in edit mode (0 for old format or 1 for new, with new 
    being default). This replaces the in-game message box query.
  - Improved ghost file format: the file header now includes the RVGL version 
    number and date. A new "Ins:" flag is added to help deduce whether the 
    record was done with instances on or off. Also brings car skin support for 
    new records.
  - Added a new cheat code. It is also possible to disable previously used 
    cheats by adding an '!' at the end (eg, 'CARNIVAL!' to disable cars cheat).
  [Multi]
  - Added support for pasting in chat (Ctrl + V).

Mod:
  [General]
  - Editor: Modern editor controls are improved. Operations using right click 
    require holding Shift to avoid conflict with camera rotation. The camera 
    no longer moves when using commands like Ctrl + S. New "chain-create-link" 
    command using Ctrl + Shift + Click.
    It is now possible to move hovered nodes without having to select them. The 
    behavior is improved for selecting racing lines at segment extremities.
  - Editor: Saving uses an in-game notification text instead of message box.
  - The following file limits were extended: Lights, Objects and Instance 
    Models (1024). Maximum poly and vertex count for model and world meshes is 
    now 65535.
  - Editor: Updated the car camera editor controls (Ctrl + C). Use numpad keys 
    to move the camera and hold down Ctrl for more precise movement.
  - Improved Best Times Menu: Level search functionality is now usable. When a 
    downloaded ghost file (*.lapdownload) is available, the time is shown 
    highlighted in the records list.
  - Updated the clockwork grid layout for better spacing.
  - Removed outdated copyright info from credits.
  [Graphics]
  - The camera collision shifting behavior is tweaked to prevent stuttering 
    when close to walls and objects.
  [Input]
  - Android: Improved touch navigation. Auto repeat support for horizontal 
    scrolling. Touch region sizes are increased to prevent misses. Backspace is  
    handled better when virtual keyboard is used.

Fix:
  [General]
  - Editor: Fixes for AI nodes priority range. Light RGB intensity can once 
    again go from -1024 to 1024.
  - Fixed championship points sorting to ensure lower position comes first when 
    points are equal.
  - Partial matches are no longer accepted for cheat codes.
  - Several safety and security fixes.
  [Graphics]
  - Fixed rare glitch involving blue flashing in levels using the piano.
  - Preserve alpha during vertex color operations (grayscale conversion and 
    clockwork color randomization).
  [Multi]
  - Fixed potential deadlock or connection timeout in loading screen when 
    GLThreaded is set to 0.
[/hide]
Black-Revolt001

Re: [RVGL Release] 19.1001a

Unread post by Black-Revolt001 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:12 pm

I wonder what is this new cheat code...
Otherwise, the CAMFORMAT, it must be added in all the lvl file of each track's?
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:03 pm

Black-Revolt001 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:12 pm Otherwise, the CAMFORMAT, it must be added in all the lvl file of each track's?
No, it's only used when saving the file in edit mode. The option is only intended for track makers. Previously, there was a "Save cam nodes in new format?" query. Now the format is set with CAMFORMAT. If the value is not set, the file is saved in the new format by default. There is no need to change this unless you want your cam nodes to work with ancient Re-Volt versions. So 99% of the time, there is no reason to use this value. When loading the *.cam file, format is detected from the file as usual.
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:14 pm

Thanks a lot for fixing the Light RGB intensity values bug :)

Now I can use my method again, darken areas (for example to create a smooth shadow) by placing lights with negative RGB values.

Result:

svito

Unread post by svito » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:50 pm

I got a message yesterday (from AUR package user) that control sum does not match. It may be because "hotfix" by overwriting same archive/version. This undermines current versioning scheme.

I thought last letter in version supposed to be incremented when when hotfix happens, although I have read linux update script and it does not use it, just like on distribute.re-volt.io listed versions only consist of a date without a letter.

So the suggestion I have is just re-release hotfix under new version 19.1002 to make sure everybody updated from bad one 19.1001, this time with entry in changelog on what exactly was fixed.

Unread post by 607 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:24 pm

Agreed. Every release should be easily distinguishable from any other release, even if it's just a hotfix. Before the previous occurrence of this, I also expected the a to become a b (and then I learned that for the shader version, the a was an s... but the shader version has been integrated with the non-shader version for a while now).
Black-Revolt001

Unread post by Black-Revolt001 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:59 am

Huki wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:09 am RVGL has been updated to 19.1001a!
Or can we do with our ideas for the next release please?
svito

Unread post by svito » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:18 pm

Black-Revolt001 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:59 am
That question can be interpreted in many ways. Please formulate what exactly you mean there and what it has to do with the topic of this thread.
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:23 pm

svito wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:50 pm I got a message yesterday (from AUR package user) that control sum does not match. It may be because "hotfix" by overwriting same archive/version. This undermines current versioning scheme.

So the suggestion I have is just re-release hotfix under new version 19.1002 to make sure everybody updated from bad one 19.1001, this time with entry in changelog on what exactly was fixed.
It's true that a hotfix was made on the same day of release and the packages were updated. It fixes a regression that caused crash on Toy World Mayhem.

In situations like these, when a hotfix is needed on the same day, we simply overwrite the original release. We don't increase the version number because each release is ~80MB total and we like to keep all previous versions on our server for archival purposes. A version number bump, even for a simple regression fix, would mean another 80MB for the new release.

I do agree this is not a good practice, and that it could cause needless confusion. I'll think of an alternate solution - perhaps using a release number in addition to the yy.mmdd version number.

But how do you handle updates to content packs, since they don't even have a version number in the package URL?

svito wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:50 pm I thought last letter in version supposed to be incremented when when hotfix happens, although I have read linux update script and it does not use it, just like on distribute.re-volt.io listed versions only consist of a date without a letter.
The 'a' means alpha - it's currently not used but it's there for historical reasons.
svito

Unread post by svito » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:56 pm

Marv's Linux install/update script for every installed package(list of installed packages saved in txt file) gets txt files from website that contain latest version string, then compares with versions previously saved in .versions/ directory. If chosen to update all packs that are outdated - old archives in .packs/ and txt files in .versions/ are overwritten while new ones are downloaded, then those are extracted into game directory.

AUR package I upload PKGBUILD file for every update with new versions and checksums. Archives for each version are saved while downloading under filename that contains the version, so they are not overwritten.
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:14 am

svito wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:56 pm AUR package I upload PKGBUILD file for every update with new versions and checksums. Archives for each version are saved while downloading under filename that contains the version, so they are not overwritten.
Yes, I meant that after a new version of a pack is released, AUR users will get the checksum mismatch until you update the PKGBUILD. Similar to what happened with rvgl-bin after the hotfix.
Black-Revolt001

Unread post by Black-Revolt001 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:08 am

svito wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:18 pm
Black-Revolt001 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:59 am
That question can be interpreted in many ways. Please formulate what exactly you mean there and what it has to do with the topic of this thread.
In which forum can I post ideas for the next version of RVGL

Unread post by 607 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:10 pm

Huki wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:23 pm In situations like these, when a hotfix is needed on the same day, we simply overwrite the original release. We don't increase the version number because each release is ~80MB total and we like to keep all previous versions on our server for archival purposes. A version number bump, even for a simple regression fix, would mean another 80MB for the new release.
I don't think this makes sense. Whether the version number is increased doesn't matter: if you don't increase the version number, the original version is still missing from the server. Which is fine. But if you do increase the version number (with something like the 'a'), you can keep only the later version. The earlier version is missing from the server just as much as it is now.
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:10 pm

607 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:10 pm
Huki wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:23 pm In situations like these, when a hotfix is needed on the same day, we simply overwrite the original release. We don't increase the version number because each release is ~80MB total and we like to keep all previous versions on our server for archival purposes. A version number bump, even for a simple regression fix, would mean another 80MB for the new release.
I don't think this makes sense. Whether the version number is increased doesn't matter: if you don't increase the version number, the original version is still missing from the server. Which is fine. But if you do increase the version number (with something like the 'a'), you can keep only the later version. The earlier version is missing from the server just as much as it is now.
The suggestion was about bumping the version number (1001 -> 1002), which poses the problems I described (try to think about what would happen in that case). What we need is a build number in addition to the version itself. Note though that I don't plan on using the 'a' suffix for this purpose (that's reserved for other uses as I mentioned earlier).

Black-Revolt001 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:08 am In which forum can I post ideas for the next version of RVGL
Suggestions section
Marklanchvar32

Unread post by Marklanchvar32 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:44 am

Does editing AI track nodes on the new update of RVGL requires DEV mode?
Kipy

Unread post by Kipy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 am

You can use MAKEITGOOD cheat code as well ingame.
Kacper11PL

Unread post by Kacper11PL » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:56 pm

I want that new cheat code so bad!
And update is good
Im from Poland
#######
#######
#######
#######
Marklanchvar32

Unread post by Marklanchvar32 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:06 pm

How do i use Makeitgood without DEV? (It didn't work for the first time, maybe i was doing it wrong)
VaidX47
Administrator

Unread post by VaidX47 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Marklanchvar32 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:06 pm How do i use Makeitgood without DEV? (It didn't work for the first time, maybe i was doing it wrong)
You enter MAKEITGOOD as your name...
aka Vaid; >[MediaFire Stuff]<
gdfsgdfg

Unread post by gdfsgdfg » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:58 pm

Gotta ask but is it possible to do this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4wM9ehPaKk
VaidX47
Administrator

Unread post by VaidX47 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:09 pm

gdfsgdfg wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:58 pm Gotta ask but is it possible to do this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4wM9ehPaKk
No.
Was suggested quite a few times.
There were many similar even before this forum existed and others I've missed. Anyways, throwing links since there are some reasonable replies why it's not here or how it could be implemented without being a normal game breaking mechanic.

The closest you can have right now is with re-introduced ***** cheat in the latest RVGL version, that allows for up to 30 same cars without swapping wincar4 folder contents.
aka Vaid; >[MediaFire Stuff]<
Marklanchvar32

Unread post by Marklanchvar32 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:22 pm

Sorry for my bad english, I mean how to active DEV mode?
Gustavitolol1

Unread post by Gustavitolol1 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:56 pm

Someone has an rvgl.desktop file to put in my Ubuntu 19.10 dock I really try to create one but it doesn't put the icon and the RVGL launcher

I'm sorry for my bad English, I'm Chilean
ZipperZbieracz

Unread post by ZipperZbieracz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:05 pm

I do, you might try editing yours to make it similar to this (the one below is not a desktop icon, but very similar, it's a "Start Menu" icon, but the links in Path,Exec, and Icon should be the same/similar):

RVGL.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Comment=Re-Volt port for Linux
Terminal=false
Name=RVGL
Type=Application
Categories=Game;ArcadeGame;
Path=/home/youruserfolder/.rvgl
Exec=/home/youruserfolder/.rvgl/rvgl
Icon=/home/youruserfolder/.rvgl/icons/256x256/apps/rvgl.png
AsciiWolf

Unread post by AsciiWolf » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:08 pm

It seems that the Linux installation script was not updated yet. ;)