Suggestion regarding RNG pick-up selection

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
Gorgonzola

Suggestion regarding RNG pick-up selection

Unread post by Gorgonzola » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:44 pm

Change the pick-up system to be unable to give you the same pick-up twice in a row.

This suggestion, although small, can make a big difference on-line. People wouldnt get overwhelmed by 3 consecutive bombs and wont get that unfair advantage of 4 zaps anymore.
VaidX47
Administrator

Re: Suggestion regarding RNG pick-up selection

Unread post by VaidX47 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Changing implies making a modification to the ruleset without the ability to go back. If that's case, I can only repeat this post again: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=58#p312

If the suggestion is stated as optional, my bad, but it still wouldn't be very practical to implement as a single digit modifier in profile config.
aka Vaid; >[MediaFire Stuff]<
Gorgonzola

Unread post by Gorgonzola » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:50 pm

Changing it wont make it worse as it is now, tbh.
VaidX47
Administrator

Unread post by VaidX47 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Not exactly, you're requesting mainly because of online races, but completely disregarding whoever plays in single-player/championship, including new players or who haven't played for years.
Gorgonzola

Unread post by Gorgonzola » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:24 am

Either way noone needs two batteries or two bombs in a row on SP and championship isnt it?

Correct me if im wrong, but pick-ups weight was altered some updates ago, i think an attempt to make things more balanced (at least a little bit) wouldnt hurt.
VaidX47
Administrator

Unread post by VaidX47 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:54 am

Gorgonzola wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:24 am Either way noone needs two batteries or two bombs in a row on SP and championship isnt it?
I find two batteries in a row very useful, don't know how it's not (unless bad car/track not giving any advantage). With bomb, it's how the game is, you have good and you have bad.
Gorgonzola wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:24 am Correct me if im wrong, but pick-ups weight was altered some updates ago, i think an attempt to make things more balanced (at least a little bit) wouldnt hurt.
Regarding pickup weights, with the way how pick weights work, after 16 car limit increase, they had to be compensated somehow (minimizing global star chance, while giving that chance to battery). That's probably the only pickup related exception I can pass, since global stars with 12+ players were ridiculous.

Getting rid of double RNG drops is one of the ways to balance the game, but I'd rather go all the way and start from pickup weights, that's what causes the main balancing problem.
Still, I wouldn't do it the way it is coded right now, not until user can modify them himself.

Unread post by 607 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:36 am

Huh? No. Why would you want this? It can certainly make a big difference. It'd make the game a lot less fun. The day before yesterday, I played Re-Volt with someone who hadn't played it before. His first 3 pick-ups were all batteries. That was great! I also really like it when I use a zap to get a new pick-up, and then get another zap.
Gorgonzola

Unread post by Gorgonzola » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:33 pm

And why are you against it? I dont think it will make the game less fun. I think everybody knows that pick-ups can and will change the outcome of a race no matter what and weights are pretty fucкеd up right now in my opinion, i dont want to win with 3 batteries in a row, hence, i dont want nobody to win the same way.
svito

Unread post by svito » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:48 am

I'm pro open the game source for everyone to play however they like.

Unread post by 607 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:20 pm

svito wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:48 am I'm pro open the game source for everyone to play however they like.
That would split up the online community, but I don't think that's a problem, as it seems to be rather big currently. Anyway, I don't think it'll happen.
svito

Unread post by svito » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:31 pm

Why SuperTuxKart community is not split then? Again this "split of community" is meme that never realized itself in any game other already long-dead games like Quake Arena.
Skarma

Unread post by Skarma » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:00 am

svito wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:31 pm Again this "split of community" is meme that never realized itself in any game other already long-dead games like Quake Arena.
Except that is precisely what happened to this game's online scene several years ago, when players were bouncing back and forth between at least five or so different patches because of what some people preferred and others did not. There was almost no end to the disagreement and the splits were a result of the patches being incompatible with each other. We do not need a repeat of that.
svito

Unread post by svito » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:22 am

Pointless argument. There multiple versions of the game even now. This is only preventable if game had online DRM from the beginning and would not allow to play game at all if you are not using latest version, even if you want to play offline.
svito

Unread post by svito » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:24 am

Anyone diverging from this Communist party line should just use Hex editor or re-implement RVGL from scratch.
URV
Administrator

Unread post by URV » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:19 am

I definitely hope to see the game open-source one day. Before something like that happens, however, perhaps taking some precautions to prevent this potential "split" would be a good idea. I've been going on for ages about building a sort of game launcher working akin to (if not even forked from) the Mod Organizer used for some Bethesda games in particular.

What this does is that it keeps each mod in its own folder, in a separate location from the game files, and you have to enable them through the Mod Organizer for them to show up in game. What makes this tool even greater is that it has profiles—for instance, you could have one profile with only the I/O custom content, another profile with your own personal custom content, and the ability to switch between them with just a couple of clicks. What if this behavior is also extended to allow easily switching from different versions of RVGL? No need to keep reinstalling them, no need to worry about any potential misbehavior. Just switch the profile and hit play.

In any case, I believe we're diverging a fair bit from the main topic. Perhaps it might be good to create a new topic if we wish to continue this discussion, as I believe we don't actually have one on this matter. As for this topic, I have nothing more to add other than what I already said in the topic Vaid linked earlier.