[Done] Increasing fob limit

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
kiwi

[Done] Increasing fob limit

Unread post by kiwi » Tue May 21, 2019 3:08 pm

I am working on a Open-World-like Stunt arena at the moment, and I soon will reach the limit of 256 possible fob objects. Maybe this could be increased to 512 or 1024?

It would be also nice if the limit of 64 possible stars in a Stunt-Arena map could be increased a bit, for example to 128. At first I planned to place 100 stars at the map, but now I have to rethink my plans.

The rest of the limits are no problems for me. Maybe the limit of 256 lights, because at Spa-Volt 1 I reached this limit as well.
kiwi

Increasing fob limit

Unread post by kiwi » Tue May 21, 2019 8:01 pm

Yep. As expected. While working on my map today, I reached the limit of 256 fob objects already. :(

When starting the track now, the following error appears:

After deleting a few objects, it works again. But I'm only halfway done with my map. :rip: The biggest amount of the 256 possible objects at my map are needed for the stars (64), 3D sounds (~50), Spark generators (~50), Planet objects (~30), and so on. I can delete some not so important objects, but due to the size of the map and the amount of details, the limit of 256 objects is far too low for me.
kiwi

Re: Increasing fob limit

Unread post by kiwi » Fri May 31, 2019 10:41 am

I just found out, that the limit of 64 possible stars in a stunt arena track is not correct.

In the RVGL documentation it is stated like this:
Supporting Game Modes

Practice: User tracks can be played in Practice mode. Add a single star object for this mode. When the player finds and catches it, the progress will be saved.

Battle / Stunt / Frontend: These special type of tracks can be created with the help of a new GAMETYPE entry in the track .inf file. General syntax:

GAMETYPE    1  ; Track type (0:default, 1:battle, 2:stunt, 3:frontend)
Add several stars for Battle Tag mode, and upto 64 stars for Stunt Arena. Progress is saved for Stunt Arena tracks.
I just tried to place more than 64 stars (I tried 67), and I was able to collect all of them, without any issues. Also the amount of collected stars was saved and you can continue anytime later on.

Is this an error in the RVGL documentation, or is there a reason why the limit is stated with 64?

Edit: I placed 90 stars now - still working without any issues.
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:57 am

Update: I found out, what is the actual problem when placing more then 64 stars in a Stunt Arena map.

I placed 100 stars.
Collecting 0-64 stars works without any issues. The progress will saved correctly after quitting RVGL.
Collecting stars number 65-100 also works without any issues, as long you don't quit the game.
If you have collected between 65 and 100 stars, you quit RVGL and start it again, the total amount of collected stars will be displayed correctly. For example 84/100. But some of the stars which was collected already, are available on the map again.

So I removed 36 stars again and my map only use 64 now.

A positive side-effect is, that I have 36 more objects available now, which I can place instead of the stars. ;)
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:51 am

The number of objects and the number of lights could be increased, it just takes a bit more tweaking to ensure performance is not compromised (eg, if the maximum number of light is 256, the game uselessly loops through all 256 slots every frame).

I'm pretty sure the number of stunt arena stars is 64. If you attempt to use more, the data is probably overflowing into nearby memory regions. :grimacing: This part of the code probably needs additional safety checks.