[Closed] [RVGL 19.0430] Shader lighting differs from legacy renderer

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
EvgenKo423

[Closed] [RVGL 19.0430] Shader lighting differs from legacy renderer

Unread post by EvgenKo423 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 pm

I've noticed that on shader-based renderer the lighting in frontend is significantly different from legacy renderer (at least on Options screen). Look at this comparison:
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/135211

I've tried changing all of the shader-related options in a config, but none of them affected the result. :roll:
ZipperZbieracz

Re: [RVGL 19.0430] Shader lighting differs from legacy renderer

Unread post by ZipperZbieracz » Mon May 06, 2019 5:16 pm

Isn't that what shader is for, better quality and better performance?
Wichilie

Unread post by Wichilie » Mon May 06, 2019 5:19 pm

Better performance, yes, but the rendered screen should be exactly the same between the two versions I believe. Weird, I've never noticed or heard of that before...
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Tue May 07, 2019 7:59 am

Wichilie wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:19 pm Better performance, yes, but the rendered screen should be exactly the same between the two versions I believe. Weird, I've never noticed or heard of that before...
In fact, the shader and legacy renderer are totally different and need not look the same. That's not the goal either. Anyway, from the screenshots it looks like a problem with fog (in the reflections) and shininess rather than lights. The fog and environment effects are indeed computed differently between both renderers, though I can't pinpoint the exact cause of the difference here.
EvgenKo423

Unread post by EvgenKo423 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:42 pm

Hmm, I never thought of that... I thought the goal was to re-write a code and make Re-Volt cross-platform, but preserve its look and feel as close as possible. :roll:
But that was a 1.2 goal, I guess. With RVGL and total content replacement it won't be like that, it will be the whole new ballvolt game in the end... I don't really like this idea, but currently it's the only way for the game to reborn, I guess...

Now I've reviewed your goals on shader edition. However, on my mid-end hardware I get almost no difference in performance, so I will likely stick with the legacy one.
One question though: do you plan to keep both renderers side-by-side or the legacy one will eventually be dropped as well to get rid of the original code :?:
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Wed May 08, 2019 9:00 am

EvgenKo423 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:42 pm Hmm, I never thought of that... I thought the goal was to re-write a code and make Re-Volt cross-platform, but preserve its look and feel as close as possible. :roll:
But, it does preserve look and feel as close as possible. :( Like I said, shader renderer != legacy renderer - it uses different techniques for fog, lighting, environment effects, deformation effects, translucency support... almost everything has changed under the hood.
EvgenKo423 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:42 pm Now I've reviewed your goals on shader edition. However, on my mid-end hardware I get almost no difference in performance, so I will likely stick with the legacy one.
One question though: do you plan to keep both renderers side-by-side or the legacy one will eventually be dropped as well to get rid of the original code :?:
There are currently no plans for dropping the legacy renderer. However, keep in mind that most new tracks / cars are released for the shader renderer only, so it's not just a matter of performance. Also, the shader renderer is more actively maintained, so you're unlikely to see additional features / fixes for the legacy renderer.
EvgenKo423

Unread post by EvgenKo423 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:20 pm

Ok, thanks.
I really like what you guys doing, no offense intended.