RVGL in-game updater

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
Gorgonzola

RVGL in-game updater

Unread post by Gorgonzola » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:09 am

An Updater which comes with rvgl (an option in the main menu) where you can check for updates, and update (if necessary). And -if it is not much of a hassle- an option to update the game automatically once the game has been ran, or in tray while the game isnt running.
ZipperZbieracz

Re: RVGL in-game updater

Unread post by ZipperZbieracz » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:22 am

Nah, it's just another way of forcing the player to be connected and decreases the control over what's downloaded and what is not, and decreases the control over when the PC is connecting and sending/downloading data and when is not.
SebR

Unread post by SebR » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:52 pm

+1 with ZipperZbieracz : i like to know what happen on my PC and when it happen

but perhaps replace "Connection rejected by host" by "Host start race with rvgl 19.0120a"
for exemple ...
Damn DROPBOX !!! If you found broken link PM me

AlicebanD an English voice that you must discover !!
Gorgonzola

Unread post by Gorgonzola » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:10 pm

Ok then, just remove the auto update thingy and just make it an option in the main menu to update the game. There are many games with this feature, and it is way more faster
SebR

Unread post by SebR » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:51 pm

i think this for windows and that for android do the job
Damn DROPBOX !!! If you found broken link PM me

AlicebanD an English voice that you must discover !!
Gorgonzola

Unread post by Gorgonzola » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:03 am

Uhm sorry but no, an integrated update feature would be more user-friendly for those unfamiliarized with all this new re-volt era. Most newbies will not want to download third party software or simply wont know how. And i think this would be more plausible for those cases.
chenhonkster

Unread post by chenhonkster » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:57 pm

Gorgonzola wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:03 am Uhm sorry but no, an integrated update feature would be more user-friendly for those unfamiliarized with all this new re-volt era. Most newbies will not want to download third party software or simply wont know how. And i think this would be more plausible for those cases.
Consider that if they've already gotten RVGL, it's most likely from re-volt.io to begin with. The installer is pretty simple after all...
Gorgonzola

Unread post by Gorgonzola » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:28 am

I know people that play through rvgl from a long time now and still dont know how to update, or when they realize that they have to update the game manually kinda often they start to lose interest in it. Mindfucking but there it is :?
Pyves

Unread post by Pyves » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:24 am

I as well sometimes miss an update, it's quite rare though and is not too much of a worry as I don't play online. One less intrusive solution would be to add an update checker that notifies you when the game has started, possibly in a window similar to the ones that pop up when you unlock new cars. You would then have an option to either ignore the update or open your browser directly on the install page.