[RVGL] Controls temporarily unresponsive with Dualshock 4

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
maxigaz

[RVGL] Controls temporarily unresponsive with Dualshock 4

Unread post by maxigaz » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:58 am

On the Linux version of rvgl 19.0301a, I've noticed that controls become unresponsive now and again while playing with a recently purchased Dualshock 4 V2. I don't have this problem with the same gamepad in other games I've tried.

It seems like the problem occurs in certain parts of the maps I tried. For example, if I start a single race or a practice session on Supermarket 2, control is always lost in the outside area (between the two doors). On Botanical Garden, there are multiple areas like this one, such as near the fountain in reverse mode of the circuit. (If I go the normal direction of the circuit, the chances of triggering the issue is much less.)

When the control is lost, by the way, two things can happen: the car keeps moving forward and the gamepad becomes responsive again, or I get stuck in the same place (such as hitting a wall) and then if I bring up the pause menu with Esc, I can't even navigate with the keyboard as the arrow keys and Enter become unresponsive inside the game as well (so I have to quit with Alt+F4).

I also have a wireless Xbox 360 controller, but it doesn't have these problems at all with rvgl.

I haven't come across any errors in the terminal output or any log files, so let me know if you need any further information.
Huki
Developer

Re: [RVGL] Controls temporarily unresponsive with Dualshock 4

Unread post by Huki » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:23 pm

Could be that the game is missing mappings for your controller. It doesn't sound possible that controls are affected in some areas of the track though. I'd like to see the generated log file (profiles/re-volt.log) as it would have information about your SDL2 version, the controller GUID and currently used mappings.
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:36 pm

maxigaz wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:35 am Here's the content of re-volt.log: https://privatebin.net/?4b408430f3775ae ... Zv0b7fs7I=
It looks good to me:

Code: Select all

Detected SDL2 version: 2.0.9
Input: 0 GameController mappings added
Input: Found controller at slot 0: PS4 Controller (GUID: 050000004c050000cc09000000810000)
       Game Controller Mapping: 050000004c050000cc09000000810000,PS4 Controller,a:b0,b:b1,back:b8,dpdown:h0.4,dpleft:h0.8,dpright:h0.2,dpup:h0.1,guide:b10,leftshoulder:b4,leftstick:b11,lefttrigger:a2,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightshoulder:b5,rightstick:b12,righttrigger:a5,rightx:a3,righty:a4,start:b9,x:b3,y:b2,platform:Linux,
Considering that there is no such problem with the X360, don't you think it could be a system related issue? (i.e., specific linux drivers or other configuration). If the keyboard becomes unresponsive at the menus, it probably means the game is detecting certain keys or buttons to be constantly pressed in. Does unplugging the controller at this point let the keyboard keys function again?
maxigaz wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:58 amI don't have this problem with the same gamepad in other games I've tried.
Can you list a few that you've tried? (also mention whether they run natively on Linux or through Wine).
maxigaz

Unread post by maxigaz » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:32 am

Does unplugging the controller at this point let the keyboard keys function again?
I've just tried again, and actually, the keyboard keys started to work again after a few seconds without doing anything. I also tried turning the gamepad off and on again in-game to see if it makes any difference. I don't think it did because it became responsive again only when I went back to the main menu with the keyboard.
Can you list a few that you've tried? (also mention whether they run natively on Linux or through Wine).
Shovel Knight (native), Spelunky (Wine, emulating the Xbox 360 controller through dumbxinputemu), OpenLara (native), Tomb Raider 2 (Wine, emulating keyboard presses through QJoypad), and any games via RetroArch and Dolphin (standalone).
Considering that there is no such problem with the X360, don't you think it could be a system related issue? (i.e., specific linux drivers or other configuration).
I don't know, but I read through the Arch Wiki entry about the Playstation 4 controller, and it said it works out of the box. I can confirm that no configuration or driver installation were necessary to make it work through Bluetooth or USB connection.

P.S.: Perhaps I could have mentioned also that so far I've only tried rvgl through Bluetooth mode, which works perfectly in the games I mentioned above. However, I've just played for about 15 minutes in wired USB mode in rvgl, and I couldn't reproduce the bug (wherever the cause may be) at all.