[RVGL-MIG] Waterbox waving effect limit

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
kiwi

Re-Volt [RVGL-MIG] Waterbox waving effect limit

Unread post by kiwi » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:55 pm

Hello RVGL-Dev-Team!

During the work on Spa-Volt 1 (and now again, while working on Spa-Volt 2), I've noticed, that only 5 waterboxes can have a waving effect. The sixth, seventh, ... waterbox have no waving effect anymore. I don't know if this is a bug or common behaviour for any reason. If removing one of the first waterboxes, the sixth, seventh, ... get the waving effect instead. It seems there is a limit of 5. Would it be possible, to increase this limit?

I want to use waterboxes for creative effects - for example simulate the wind in trees, or simulate a waving flag. Therefore I need a lot of waterboxes.

Here a very short video example:

VIDEO: https://streamable.com/mpaas

And here some pictures:

kiwi

Re: [RVGL] Waterbox waving effect limit

Unread post by kiwi » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:55 am

I want to add one thing.

The perfect solution would be, if there would be a new object, for purposes like this. Some kind of a "Waving-Effect Box". It could be the same than a Waterbox, but without the splash-effect, and without the color effect when the camera is inside the box. The non-plus-ultra would be, if there also would be an editable value "Waving Strength", where the intensity of the waving effect can be configured.

I know this would be a very major change, but I want to point it out anyway. :) It also wouldn't influence existing tracks at all.

Ciao! Kiwi
SebR

Unread post by SebR » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:00 am

you ALREADY have all of the "non-plus-ultra" for simulate a waving flag : look at american flag on Ghost Town 1 (object GARY FLAG) that you can easyly customise with Blender ...

Is It realy 5 Waterbox limit or the 64 object limit you are facing of ?
Damn DROPBOX !!! If you found broken link PM me

AlicebanD an English voice that you must discover !!
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:32 am

I already tried the Gari Flag object for this purpose. But as far as I know, the model for it can't be changed. There is no .m-model inside the /models folder for it (Or at least, I am not able to find it). It seems this object is hardcoded in some way, so the flag always have the same (small) size. Also, the mapping for it is always on a defined location at one of the texture sheets, and can't be changed.

Gari's flag also doesn't help me for the tree animation.

Regarding the limit of 64 Objects: I will try if the waving effect will return, if I delete some other objects. Thanks for the hint - but I'm pretty sure I tried this already in the past. Will keep you updated.

By the way: There is still the limit of 64 objects - also in the current RVGL version? This should also be increased then. :D
SebR

Unread post by SebR » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:41 pm

look like GARY FLAG is hard coded :oops:
Damn DROPBOX !!! If you found broken link PM me

AlicebanD an English voice that you must discover !!
Huki
Developer

Re: [RVGL-MIG] Waterbox waving effect limit

Unread post by Huki » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:00 pm

The shader renderer is limited to 4 mesh deformation effects, and 8 lights, per world "cube".
Have you tried separating each plant / flag into its own mesh?

The new object idea is a good one, but the above limitation would still apply.
First, let me know if the above technique solves your issue.
kiwi

Re: [RVGL-MIG] Waterbox waving effect limit

Unread post by kiwi » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:07 am

Hi Huki,

splitting the world in more cubes (via worldcut) solves the issue. The mesh deformation effect is working on more then 4 waterboxes after doing the split. :)

However, I didn't used waterboxes at trees/flags at Spa-Volt 2 in the end, because the mesh deformation effect was nearly not noticeable while driving. But if it would be possible to adjust the strength of the effect, I would be interested in using it at future tracks.