Xbox One controller -- force feedback does not work

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
revolter_99

Xbox One controller -- force feedback does not work

Unread post by revolter_99 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:52 am

I am using the Xbox One controller over Bluetooth with the latest 32-bit version of RVGL on Windows 10 64-bit, and even though the Force Feedback setting is enabled it does not work.
7wells

Re: Xbox One controller -- force feedback does not work

Unread post by 7wells » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:02 am

I have different Xbox clone controllers, all said to have force feedback but none shows any effect in RVGL despite the setting is on. Once I only notices that the controller got much warmer than with the setting off. However, I do not know how I could test these controllers for force feedback on Windows 10. Are there tools for it?
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:19 pm

Sorry to bump this, but I am still curious to know if vibration feedback really works. I also understand that vibration feedback is something different than force feedback. Whereas the former give vibration e.g. when hitting some object or driving over rough ground, the latter is really for steering wheels, giving some resistance to the left or right. Correct?

So my question is, what does the "force feedback" setting in RVGL/controller settings really do? Is it only for the real force feedback, or also for vibration feedback? If the latter, why do my vibration-capable controllers not show any vibration? Is there a certain track that contains vibration triggers that I could use to test?

Thanks for your hints and help! :)
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:34 pm

Force feedback is implemented using the SDL Haptic module. The game should support 3 types of feedback:
  1. A constant effect when hitting an object
  2. Vibration when driving over rough ground
  3. Friction effect that offers resistance to steering
I have no idea how much of this actually works. But it's strange to hear that nothing at all is working with an xbox controller. Later I can send you some debug builds that dump info about what exactly is supported.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:07 pm

Thank you so much, dear Huki - and have a good weekend!
Aleon

Unread post by Aleon » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:00 am

I'm sorry I pushed up this issue, but I found things to be worried about.

I've been using a Xbox One controller (for Windows) too, and no haptics.
And I found a strange place in re-volt.log when I switched "Force Feedback" ON - Almost effects are "-1" (probably OFF?).

Code: Select all

Input: Haptic supported: 1
Input: Haptic name: XInput Controller #1
Input: Haptic supported features: 4
Input: Haptic num effects: 1
Input: Haptic num axes: 0
Input: Haptic constant effect: -1
Input: Haptic vibration effect: -1
Input: Haptic friction effect: -1
SDL2 is ver.2.0.14 in RVGL(21.0930a-1), I found this version has issues in GitHub of SDL.
https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/issues/4435
Ver.2.0.16 has been released with lots of bug fixes, but I don't know it's solved.

I hope this info helps you.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:53 am

@Alean @Huki
I see the same for my clone Xbox360 gamepads on Linux by:

Code: Select all

$ fftest /dev/input/by-id/usb-*event-joystick
(replace the * by the appropriate controller ID).

In the game I observe a few vibrations, e.g. in the tunnel in "Toys in the Hood". However, none e.g. when being blown up or hit by a rocket. See also my posts there about this with further questions about vibration: PS: All these are vibration effects and not force feedback, we should keep in mind. Force feedback is (at least to my understanding) something more sophisticated in context of steering wheels.