Issue with animated textures

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
ciccio

Blender Issue with animated textures

Unread post by ciccio » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:26 pm

The game currently supports animated textures only in the first 10 texture pages, even though the plugin will allow to use texture pages up to 63. This limits the amount of texture pages that can be animated to 10, which is an issue if I use one file for each object (the reason for using a file for each object is that I'm doing conversions from mario kart wii, which use one texture for each object and makes it incredibly fast to just keep the original mapping and re-save the textures in rvgl format -square bmp-).

Also, it would immensly help if texture animations had interpolation. Right now after the amount specified in blender the texture moves the mapping around in one instant, which makes making fluid animation a pain, because it requires at least 60 frames, which are a very long task to make. Actually if we had something like interpolation, we could stop using a high amount of frames to make an animation fluid and instead use animation frames to change direction and use more cool effects. I have rarely seen texture animations in rv tracks, probably because of how hard and tedious it is to make a good looking one, and I think the lack of interpolation is the main cause.

If interpolation is not possible at runtime, at least add an option to set the start uv map and finish uv map fill in the remaining frames automatically in blender with options given by the creator. It would make interpolated texture animations without having to in time, texture page and uv map manually for each frame.
javildesign

Re: Issue with animated textures

Unread post by javildesign » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:55 pm

I agree that animation sometimes is a pain to work with. But I don't agree with the statement that we need 60 frames for cool looking liquid animation. I can create realistic liquids using just 16 frames. I spent a lot of time to create a method to make it perfectly seamless. This method uses a lot of actions in photoshop to remove the ugly seams and prepare the output for RVGL, which I recorded and saved as an action that saves a lot of time every time I render out 16 new stills in Blender. In Blender I created a method that will loop the animation within those 16 frames. Works perfectly most of the time!

Route-77 uses one of the first of those methods within a river and waterfall.
The Reactor also has a base with liquid in it.
Upcoming Spaceship track uses fog with this same method.

See this topic about my method of liquid animation.

See some other examples:
ciccio

Re: Issue with animated textures

Unread post by ciccio » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:21 pm

Not denying that those animations are absolutely stunning, it's still different than actual ingame interpolation (animated objects move around flawlessly because of interpolation). I will check your tutorial for fluid animation, since that's something I need right now, but it would be awesome if we didn't have to make animations frame by frame, regardless of the amount of frames needed.