Enter name dialog (screen keyboard) overlaps name field [Fire TV]

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
7wells

Enter name dialog (screen keyboard) overlaps name field [Fire TV]

Unread post by 7wells » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:04 pm

Hello Huki and everybody!

I ran into this problem with latest RVGL on Fire TV: I have created a profile and set up everything. When I go to start a race, RVGL asks again for the player's name, despite I have just selected a profile. This is a little bit confusing, as I do not understand why the name has to be entered here. I thought that each player (with her/his name) has her/his own profile, right? Anyway, that is not the main problem. The main problem is that on the Fire TV, a box with letters and some additional characters (soft keyboard, screen keyboard - how is this correctly named?) to enter the name is displayed. I understood that this belongs rather to the Fire TV and not to RVGL and is displayed as on the Fire TV, you usually have no keyboard. And this box/screen keyboard hides the text box with the player's name, so you cannot see what has been typed so far. If you delete a character to correct something, you will not see the changes, because that text field is behind that box/screen keyboard. I have made a screenshot for illustration; however, I seem to be unable to upload any images here. Any hints about this or about the topic? Thanks for your help.
Avecezar

Re: Enter name dialog (screen keyboard) overlaps name field [Fire TV]

Unread post by Avecezar » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:42 am

As for screenshot you can't upload directly into forum, you need to provide a link to external photo storage service.
SDeG
VaidX47
Administrator

Unread post by VaidX47 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:10 am

7wells wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:04 pm I have created a profile and set up everything. When I go to start a race, RVGL asks again for the player's name, despite I have just selected a profile. This is a little bit confusing, as I do not understand why the name has to be entered here. I thought that each player (with her/his name) has her/his own profile, right?
Profile names and player names are separate. Profile for clear progress which you won't be able to change later without creating new, and player name is for a nickname (generally), very relevant for online play and splitscreen.

Legacy Re-Volt did not have profile system, so you only had player name.

----
Uploading images directly to forum should be possible, but the process is very finicky and I would not recommend. Use third party services like Imgur or dropbox.
aka Vaid; >[MediaFire Stuff]<
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:06 am

I see that the virtual keyboard pops up at the center rather than the lower half of the screen. I'm just wondering, didn't you get the same issue at the profile creation screen? Or did you blindly type something to be able to create a profile?
7wells wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:04 pm I have made a screenshot for illustration; however, I seem to be unable to upload any images here. Any hints about this or about the topic? Thanks for your help.
I suggest Imgur for image uploads.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:58 am

Yes, it was the same for the profile. Sorry that I did not mention this right away. Can you please point me to the location in the source code (roughly), where the window position etc. is handled? I would really love to learn a bit and could maybe even help, if that is possible and wanted.

BTW, I had also looked into Imgur (and some other similar services), but without registration I could not use it (at least, it looked like this). Without wanting to advertise Workupload, I find it very easy to use and also like the preview of uploaded screenshots.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:05 pm

Hello, any hints about my last question here? Thank you! :)