[SOLVED] [RVGL 19.1001a] Visibox edit mode broken

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
Mr. Burguers

[SOLVED] [RVGL 19.1001a] Visibox edit mode broken

Unread post by Mr. Burguers » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:08 pm

I remember using visibox edit mode on Spa-Volt 1/2 (in 18.1126a, latest release at the time I believe) and it worked perfectly fine.
I am current making visiboxes for School's Out on the newest version, and there seem to be numerous issues that did not exist previously.

First, for as long as I can remember, when you edited a Visibox cube, visibility would be immediately updated (if your camera was in the corresponding region). Now you have to save the file (by pressing CTRL+S) and only then does it update. This is not a very big problem, but previewing changes should not be done only by saving. Is this change intentional, and if so, for what reason?

A much larger problem is that, even after saving, the preview breaks randomly and only a restart of the track fixes this. I have numerous examples from today:
After saving (upper polygons contained):
After restarting race (no changes to file):

After saving (bottom polygons NOT contained):
After restarting race (no changes to file):

Polygons contained but not hidden:
Polygons not contained but hidden (opposite situation):

There seems to be a weird thing, possibly related to this, that decides to randomly start ocurring at well. It seems that after some time the engine switches from per-poly mode to cubevisi mode by itself? I am definitely not using the cubevisi parameter, only the following: -nodemo -tvtime -showping -profile This visibox is just tall enough to hide the sidewalk triangles, but does not:

After expanding it down, it decides to (raising it back up undoes it):

If I load the track in Blender, it appears that the sidewalk triangles are in the same cube(s) as the pipe below:
But even then, this should only be expected when running -cubevisi, and not while editing visiboxes normally. Again, this is a case where restarting the track fixes it.
I hope these problem can be fixed so in the future I (and other people, even though no one uses visibox mode :hausderp:) am able to use this edit mode without problems on the latest version. The edit mode is being given lots of care lately, and I hope it continues this way.
Huki
Developer

Re: [RVGL 19.1001a] Visibox edit mode broken

Unread post by Huki » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:38 am

Visiboxes are no longer updated per frame - this was an intentional change in 19.0907 (affects both shader and legacy renderer):

Code: Select all

- Editor: Visimasks are no longer updated per-frame in Visiboxes edit mode. 
    They are updated when saving the file. This should improve performance.
The reason was that updating per-frame is too computationally intensive and can slow down large tracks. But if it's really useful, it can be put back in some way.

The rest of the glitches are not intentional. Perhaps they only exist with shaders? Did you try legacy?

Update: Release 19.1230a adds a new shortcut Ctrl + P to refresh visiboxes in edit mode. They are also refreshed upon saving the file.
Mr. Burguers

Re: [RVGL 19.1001a] Visibox edit mode broken

Unread post by Mr. Burguers » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:38 pm

Sorry it took so long to reply, but only today I went back to Visibox editing. In the first 10 minutes of working with shaders enabled, I got the problems mentioned above; I switched to the fixed pipeline renderer and have been working for hours with no issues. So it seems like it is indeed a shader renderer problem.