[RVGL] Slider SFX volume

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
kiwi

[RVGL] Slider SFX volume

Unread post by kiwi » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:48 am

In RVGL 15.1220a the following fix was implemented:
[Audio]
  - Fixed loud sfx volume, now uses an exponential volume curve that fades away 
    quickly as you move away from the source. Also fixed an inconsistency in 
    panning.
I don't know how this exactly works, but it seems the "fade away" does not work at the slider SFX sldropen.wav and sldrclos.wav.

For example: I use custom SFX for the sliders at my new map. When passing the sliders with the car, the volume of the SFX stay the same till the end of the SFX effect is reached (2-3 seconds). So if I pass the sliders with high speed, and I am already far away from the slider, I still can hear the SFX in the same volume as it was when I was directly at the SFX source (center of the slider object).

The same issue can be also seen at the Spa-Volt 2 or Hull Breach 3000 tracks, where I also used custom slider SFX.
kiwi

Re: [RVGL] Slider SFX volume

Unread post by kiwi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:57 pm

Info for all map creators: A possible workaround for this issue is to replace the sldropen.wav and sldrclos.wav with an "empty" sound file, and place a custom 3d sound object at the center of the slider instead. The "fade away" effect works fine with this type of sounds and feels more realistic. A thing you have to keep in mind: Depending of the type of your slider (electric door, stone door, scifi-door, whatever...) you have to edit the SFX in a way, so the open and close sounds of the slider fit the actual slider movement.

Negative side effect: You need another spot in your .fob for every 3d sound. The maximum amount of possible objects are 256 at the moment.
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:05 am

Kiwi wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:48 am In RVGL 15.1220a the following fix was implemented:
[Audio]
  - Fixed loud sfx volume, now uses an exponential volume curve that fades away 
    quickly as you move away from the source. Also fixed an inconsistency in 
    panning.
This (the exponential volume curve) was reverted in 16.0904a in order to bring the behavior closer to the original versions. There is a history behind these changes, but it's all past history now. The point to note is that both the original versions and current RVGL use a linear fade-off curve.

With that said, it seems your problem is unrelated to the above. If I understand correctly, in your case the slider audio does not fade off at all, while 3D audio objects fade off correctly. If that's the case, it's something worth looking into.
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:27 am

Huki wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:05 am If I understand correctly, in your case the slider audio does not fade off at all, while 3D audio objects fade off correctly. If that's the case, it's something worth looking into.
Hi Huki, yes exactly, that's what I have found out. Would be nice to see a fix for this in an upcoming RVGL release but it's also not that important, so you can put it somewhere in the bottom of your To-Do list. :D Good that you are aware of this issue now.