RVGL on Android

News and announcements about RVGL's development.
smochin

Re: RVGL on Android

Unread post by smochin » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:41 pm

hey guys! so recently i installes the game on my phone, played all the championships, but there is a map i can not play, Rooftops is still locked. even the "cheat" for unlocking tracks didn't work. how can i make it available?
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi Smochin, welcome on board!

You need to download and install the additional Dreamcast package, which you can find here: https://re-volt.io/downloads/misc
smochin

Unread post by smochin » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:27 pm

Kiwi wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:57 pm Hi Smochin, welcome on board!

You need to download and install the additional Dreamcast package, which you can find here: https://re-volt.io/downloads/misc
thank you very much! seems like i've completely missed it! cheers
Dallmayr

Unread post by Dallmayr » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:07 pm

Works like a charm.

i find the controls a bit hard to use at first play. Graphics are nice. I'll see how they are on higher maps. I see there's a way to play it multiplayer. Awesome!
revolting1

Unread post by revolting1 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi in the latest version for android I can't type by pressing f12 in multiplayer, is this feature dissabled
VaidX47
Administrator

Unread post by VaidX47 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:08 am

revolting1 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:18 pm Hi in the latest version for android I can't type by pressing f12 in multiplayer, is this feature dissabled
Chat log and chatting is not available in the android port.
aka Vaid; >[MediaFire Stuff]<
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:32 pm

Hello, is there a way to amend the (seemingly?) broken SDL2 on Android? I have 2 XBox-compatible wireless gamepads that work flawlessly on other Android & Amazon Fire TV devices. With the RVGL Controller Map app ( https://rvgl.re-volt.io/downloads/rvgl_ ... er_map.apk ), I cannot assign the "home" button in the middle (nothing happens - well, this button seems to be seserved to switch controller modes). This itself is not a problem, as I would not use this button. But since there is no way to skip a button, I cannot complete the settings in the Controller Map app. Furthermore, when I then run RVGL and go to the controller settings, I see both gamepads there, but can change keys only for 1; and sometimes RVGL freezes, so I have to force-close it. I used the similar Controller Map tool under WIndows 10 ( https://generalarcade.com/gamepadtool ), where it is possible to skip buttons. So bottom line is: How can I properly assign all (except that reserved button) gamepad buttons under Android? Thanks for your help. And please accept my apologies if my post here is in the wrong place.
Avecezar

Unread post by Avecezar » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:48 am

SDeG
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:08 pm

Thank you! :)
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:48 am

Can the full source code (with assets for Android) be obtained from somewhere, or is it not fully open? I would like to build RVGL for Android (and Fire OS/Amazon's Fire TV) myself. I assume that for building for Android, some specific assets for Android are needed, right?
hajducsekb

Unread post by hajducsekb » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:12 am

Attention: I split the RVGL repository into several components. Except the core RVGL source, everything else is now public. You can, for example, build the android package yourself and even help improve the Java code. Start by visiting the RVGL Base Repository (https://gitlab.com/re-volt/rvgl-base).
(by Huki on Discord)
HAJDUC DOT COM
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:32 am

Ah, thank you! :) And the core RVGL source? Is it not public? Are there any plans to publish/make it open, too? Please accept my apologies if I have overseen any such earlier announcements or expansions.

Back to the Android update: I understand that I should wait a few days, right?
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:13 pm

7wells wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:32 am Ah, thank you! :) And the core RVGL source? Is it not public? Are there any plans to publish/make it open, too? Please accept my apologies if I have overseen any such earlier announcements or expansions.

Back to the Android update: I understand that I should wait a few days, right?
This hasn't been announced in the forum yet, but after the last release the RVGL codebase was split and much of it was opened out, except the core RVGL sources. The repos provide prebuilt native binaries for Android (libmain.so), so technically, you can build the Android project yourself, even without access to the core sources. But note that it's not currently possible to build the latest development code with the provided libmain.so (there have been API breaking changes), so yes, you'd need to wait for the test APK.

The core RVGL source is planned to be opened out eventually. See #1239 for a previous answer, and see also the published RVGL Roadmap.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:34 pm

Thank you so much! :thumbsup:
Strelok111

Unread post by Strelok111 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:43 pm

Wait, the game's available on Android as well? I missed that... I'll download it ASAP, thanks for the explanations about how to solve potential issues!
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:52 pm

Yeah, it is really :cool: And it also runs on the old Amazon's Fire TV stick, surely even better on the 4K stick. But even without 4K, it plays very decently with all GFX settings set to max. And the Fire TV stick is available for less than 30 bucks (depending on special offers and the like). Until now, the Android version does not yet offer splitscreen mode (the Windows version does, as you surely know), but I was able playing with the kids, while sitting on a Windows PC and them on the TV/Fire TV stick combo. They had to take turns because of the missing split screen mode, but it was great fun. :D
Strelok111

Unread post by Strelok111 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:40 pm

Great, that's good to know, I'll give it a try as I was looking for something to play when commuting (I'm going to and from work on a train with Wi-Fi access)!
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:32 pm

Huki wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:13 pm Note: If you have already run the app, it should have automatically generated an RVGL folder for you with updated assets. In this case, extract the full game data into this folder, taking care not to overwrite any of the existing files (i.e., say NO to replace).
Hello Huki,
Why should we not overwrite the files?
VaidX47
Administrator

Unread post by VaidX47 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:09 pm

7wells wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:32 pm
Huki wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:13 pm Note: If you have already run the app, it should have automatically generated an RVGL folder for you with updated assets. In this case, extract the full game data into this folder, taking care not to overwrite any of the existing files (i.e., say NO to replace).
Hello Huki,
I have told in my long post not to overwrite.
game_files.zip includes all files from the original game. RVGL includes certain fixes or improvements to original game files, most importantly new font texture. RVGL might not run well if you use all legacy game assets from 1999. Hence overwriting in this situation is not a good idea.
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:34 pm

7wells wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:32 pm
Hello Huki,
The APK contains updated assets. The original game data (game_files.zip) is data from 1999. These must not overwrite updated assets from the APK.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:28 am

Oh, sorry, guys! I mistakenly understood not to overwrite the game_files.zip and wondered about this. :blush: Of course, it's the other way around, which makes perfect sense. I understand that cross-postings are sometimes not welcome in forums, so please accept my apologies that I would like to point similarly interested Windows+Android users to my questions over there, related to the question how to get the (almost) same gaming experience (same cars, tracks, etc.) both on Windows and Android:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1320&p=5202#p5202

(I assume that there are some households where the parents & kids play on these different platforms these days. ;))

If you do not want to have this cross-link, please let me know, so I remove it. When I have sorted everything out, I am happy to write up what I did, as a new post or in a Wiki or something, if you agree.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:06 am

@Huki
Are there still plans to have splitscreen for multiplayer game also for Android?

Another question:
According to the docu there, I have to set CupDC = 1 in profile.ini after adding DC. Is this mandatory to have the additional DC assets working or only for some special gaming mode? What happens if multiple players have set CupDC differently in their profiles when playing against each other?
VaidX47
Administrator

Unread post by VaidX47 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:03 am

7wells wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:06 amAccording to the docu there, I have to set CupDC = 1 in profile.ini after adding DC. Is this mandatory to have the additional DC assets working or only for some special gaming mode? What happens if multiple players have set CupDC differently in their profiles when playing against each other?
Quick Q&A:
1. No, only for Championship.
2. Nothing.
---
CupDC swaps a few tracks around in championship like in the Dreamcast version, due to Rooftops addition. It slightly alters championship game mode layout, which is single player only anyway, nothing else. See additional information at: https://revolt.fandom.com/wiki/Champion ... nformation
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:24 am

Thank you! :thumbsup:
And hopefully, plans for splitscreen on Android have not been buried. ;)
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:30 pm

Hello!

There is the following problem with RVGL for Android when trying to play local LAN multiplayer:

When the player is waiting in the lobby on the hosting device, a message says to tap the screen to start the match.

However, when running RVGL for android on a device without touchscreen, e.g. on a Fire TV or another Android TV device without touchscreen (but connected to a TV screen or monitor), tapping the screen is impossible, thus starting the multiplayer match impossible.

Could it be automatically started within a given period, e.g. 20 seconds?

Currently, I can only start such a match by a complicated workaround including adb over IP and scrcpy on a third device (very cumbersome).

Thanks for kindly considering an autocounter to start such a hosted match or to add a possibility to use a controller to start it.

I do not know why, but none of my controllers (that else work nicely) is able to behave as if the (non-existing) screen was touched. I.e. button A (usually used for fire) or any other button helps to continue - the message to tap the screen stays on as if nothing happened.