RVGL Roadmap

News and announcements about RVGL's development.
Marv
Developer

RVGL Roadmap

Unread post by Marv » Tue May 01, 2018 7:00 pm

The Future of RVGL

RVGL brought multi-platform support and mobile versions (Android and ARM portables), better performance, a new shader-based renderer, and extended the game with additional content.

With only a few things left on the roadmap, we think it's time to talk about the future of the project.

Many aspects of the game can already be modded. Additional cars and tracks have been supported from the very beginning but RVGL added many more ways for players to customize their content even more: More supported texture formats, higher limits for polygon count and instances, custom track materials, custom car engines and a countless amount of other things.

RVGL as a Platform

RVGL has become a very powerful platform for custom content and now we would like to take it even further.
Right now, the original game files are still required to play the game. In the future, we would like to enable players to get RVGL and install any custom content they like without having to install the original game assets.

This would also allow us to distribute the game without worrying about copyright: We could offer RVGL with a set of community-made custom tracks and cars, an entire game made of custom content. Just like the online release you can get on the website.

It's very important to mention that RVGL will always be compatible with the original game assets. Nothing will change in that regard.

To achieve this goal, we are going to "soft-code" things like championships and some other things. That means that you will be able to install multiple custom championships, each of which can come with a set of cars and tracks.
Full game mods and projects like Re-Make will benefit from this change (the Re-Make assets could be installed along the original game, for example, without causing conflicts). (In this context, please read my note regarding the Re-Make project.)

The details of this will be figured out as we go. Feel free to inspire us and leave a comment!

What has to be done

Apart from the coding work, we'll also have to replace certain assets that are needed by the game, regardless of the content that is installed. For example the frontend, HUD, soundtrack, sound files and models will have to be replaced. The Re-Make project has taken care of many of those things already. I have also been working on the new HUD lately myself.
We also started the RV Soundtrack Project for that reason.
You're welcome to help!

Scripting API for RVGL

Another addition would be an API for a scripting language which would enable modders to programmatically modify even more aspects of the game: New game modes and mechanics, car features, track objects, ...

This will probably have to wait a while longer since the goal mentioned above is already really ambitious.
JohnCorl_x3

Re: RVGL Roadmap

Unread post by JohnCorl_x3 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:29 am

While I'm in love with the actual idea of "RVGL as a Platform" with backward compatibility with stock content I thought about certain features that are not needed in the Platform version: progression, unlockables.

I think the best way to go is to fork the actual RVGL project: the basic version will work "as a port" keeping the game as basic as possible for singleplayer/speedrun purposes aiming to bring the old Re-Volt to new systems using stock assets and keeping stock game progress (every new gameplay feature can be scrapped from this version, even multiplayer); the platform version, instead, comes with all your fancy new features and supports stock contents as mod without actual singleplayer progression.

Also we'll probably need a new name if you want to distribute your platform.

Keep up the amazing work guys!
OlfillasOdikno

Unread post by OlfillasOdikno » Mon May 07, 2018 6:52 pm

The modding API is a great idea :) if you need help with coding feel free to hit me up, even if I am not as experienced in C++/C as in Java. (It would be a good opportunity to improve my skills) I know it is not that easy to share the code (due to law) but maybe there is a way to circumvent this, for example by making a diff instead of using the whole code. And WeGo won't care either.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:33 pm

Hello, any news about the roadmap since then?