A sidenote about SuperTuxKart

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
7wells

A sidenote about SuperTuxKart

Unread post by 7wells » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:45 pm

Hello, please forgive me my noob questions:

Could RVGL eventually become a kind of "engine" for similar games?

Are you aware of SuperTuxKart? (see GitHub, forum, and a Youtube video of STK 1.2)
STK is - besides RVGL - my favorite kart racing game. :D Both are quite different, but there are also similar concepts. Maybe some of you (developers & contributors) would like to risk a look for inspiration. ;)

And please do not get me wrong: I do not advertise for another game here. RVGL is really great. I just thought that there could be stuff that much more knowledgable people than me can observe that might be worth a second look (maybe also from the programming point of view). If somebody feels offended by me mentioning STK here, please delete this comment and accept my humble apologies.Thanks. :)
Huki
Developer

Re: A sidenote about SuperTuxKart

Unread post by Huki » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:29 pm

7wells wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:45 pm Could RVGL eventually become a kind of "engine" for similar games?
You read my mind! It's my vision for RVGL. Think of something like Quake or Doom engine, but for racing games - with a focus on R/C and vehicular physics.
7wells wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:45 pm Are you aware of SuperTuxKart? (see GitHub, forum, and a Youtube video of STK 1.2)
STK is - besides RVGL - my favorite kart racing game. :D Both are quite different, but there are also similar concepts. Maybe some of you (developers & contributors) would like to risk a look for inspiration. ;)
I'm aware of it and have lots of respect for the project. Opening RVGL's core would definitely allow intake of existing work from STK into RVGL (as we'd likely use a GPL license ourselves), so a closer collaboration could be possible.
hajducsekb

Unread post by hajducsekb » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:06 am

Hi!
SuperTuxKart is a really fun game, though I haven't played it that much. To be honest, I feel like this is rather something for reference than an advert, especially since the project is open source.
RVGL as an engine seems like an interesting idea, and it kinda already is becoming one. Although an abandoned project, Kiwi's Marvle project comes to mind. Speaking of marbles, there's also a Marbula 1 W.I.P. Mod, but unfortunately, that's halted right now. Nonetheless, quite cool projects could already be made using RVGL as an engine. And it is awesome, as long as all original content will always be compatible (which is the plan, if I'm correct :) ).
HAJDUC DOT COM
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:26 pm

Oh, this will indeed be very interesting. While I have no great coding skills, I would like to help. My kids (and myself ;)) are also good testers. :D