Download Win32 [ setup | 7z ]
Download Win64 [ setup | 7z ]
Download Linux [ setup | 7z ]
Download Android [ apk ]
Visit the topics for the Android version and the Shader edition for more information.
Download the Dreamcast Pack: rvgl_dcpack.zip
Download the Community Soundtrack: soundtrack.zip
Download the Controller Map Android app: rvgl_controller_map.apk (updated)
More about the update and RVGL: changelog | docs
Full game downloads are available at distribute.re-volt.io.
The network version has been updated!
This release adds support for custom object animations, which allows track makers to script their own animated objects. It's brought to you by Floke, yet another addition to our dev team.
We released a couple of teasers on Discord:
Basic documentation follows:
- Custom animation objects are added through a new object type in Objects edit mode.
- Each object can consist of multiple models (*.m with optional *.ncp collision) that act as "bones". Each bone is animated either freely or relative to a "parent".
- Animation data and keyframes are defined in a text file named custom_animations.txt.
- A new trigger type is available with options to trigger the animation at a specific lap, the first or last lap.
- A visibility flag lets you show / hide body parts per keyframe. This also affects the collision.
- There is no support for sound effects, sparks or lights yet, but these are planned.
Each custom animation object added in Objects edit mode accepts the following flags:
- Animation ID (the animation slot defined in custom_animations.txt)
- Trigger ID (optional, if the object uses a trigger)
- Start time (delay in steps of 0.1 seconds)
- Whether to show or hide in time trial
- Flag low: Object ID (same as Trigger ID above)
- Flag high: Trigger in lap (0 = any lap, -1 = last lap, n = nth lap).
Get the complete sample track, demonstrating a few custom animation techniques, by clicking on the picture below:
Custom Animation Examples
More Level Properties:
For track makers, properties.txt has got some new options.
There is a new GRAVITY section to modify the behavior of the global gravity field (magnitude, direction, dampening and rockiness). The ROCK and ROCKTYPE level *.inf keys are now deprecated - new tracks should set these properties in the properties.txt GRAVITY section instead.
There is a new PICKUPS section to change level-wide pickup properties. You can control the number of pickups that spawn during gameplay: there are 2 values to define the base number of pickups and more pickups for each additional player. For example, "SpawnCount 5 2" means an 8 player race will spawn 5 + 8 * 2 = 21 pickups in all. Other options include shininess color and light color (both RGB values from 0 to 255).
The properties_default.txt sample file has been updated to include these sections and their default values.
There is a new rvgl.ini key called Orientation to manually set the device orientation. Supported values are: Auto (-1), Landscape (0), Portrait (1), Sensor Landscape (2), Sensor Portrait (3), Reverse Landscape (4), Reverse Portrait (5).
The Controller Map app has been updated. Configuring a device with the Controller Map app automatically adds or updates the mapping in "profiles/gamecontrollerdb.txt". Manually copying mappings from the app is no longer required.
For Power Users:
- -savereplays and -sessionlog are now supported for offline modes. (#1001)
- For auto-splitters: the beginning and end of level load are marked in the log file along with the elapsed time.
- Hide HUD functionality is improved: "Shift + F5" toggles HUD. "Shift + Ctrl + F5" toggles menu.
- Visiboxes edit mode has a new Ctrl + P shortcut to refresh / preview visiboxes without having to save the file.
- Shortcut to toggle ping display in Multi-Player is now Ctrl + P.
- Several limits were increased: you can now have more animated waterboxes, more pickups and more objects.
- Non-world, non-instance object collision (*.ncp) now supports corrugation and conveyor effects.
- Crash in Time Trial mode and in Best Times menu has been fixed.
- Times are now properly reloaded when using track search in Best Times menu.
- Fixed crash in random tracks mode when stock levels are removed. (#1148)
- Fixed broken moving surfaces (conveyor belt) customization in properties.txt. (#1123)
- Show the correct player skin in Championship podium. (#1136)
- Online: When a level has multiple stars, the star captured is now properly identified. (#1135)
- Editor: Fixed visiboxes reloading glitch with shader renderer. (#1145)