Discord vs. Open Internet

Talk about general topics regarding Re-Volt and the community.
kiwi

Discord vs. Open Internet

Unread post by kiwi » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:58 pm

It would be nice to have some things on the Re-Volt I/O website, which are now exclusively inside the Discord channels. The website and the forum are available for the public, a lot more people could be reached this way, without the need to force people to use the Discord service.
  • News and Announcements (Same as posts in Discords #announcement channel)
  • "Unofficial" lobbies in the event scheduler (same as posts in Discords #lobbies channel)
  • Links to the race results in the event archive (Same as the links inside Discords #online channel)
Maybe also:
  • Car or track suggestion board (Same as in Discords #suggestions channel)
  • Skin suggestion board (Same as in Discords #skins channel)
People can use Discord for communication if they want, but I think important things like community news, announcements or surveys - which are relevant for the whole Re-Volt community - shouldn't be limited to users of a closed application. I left Discord a while ago, and it's very hard to be part of the community, without being part of Discord. Now I recognize how isolated (cut off) the community already is from the open internet.
URV
Administrator

Re: Discord vs. Open Internet

Unread post by URV » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:03 pm

News and Announcements (Same as posts in Discords #announcement channel)
Agreed. I will try to post Discord announcements on the website more often from now on.
"Unofficial" lobbies in the event scheduler (same as posts in Discords #lobbies channel)
I tried this in the past, but it's a lot of work. I will ask the other site admins if they're willing to help with the odd event or two, but until then, we'll have to wait until we can program in something to handle public event submissions.
Links to the race results in the event archive (Same as the links inside Discords #online channel)
The reason why I have stopped adding them there (aside from the fact that I have been pretty much taking care of these things all on my own until a couple of weeks ago) is that we already have all this information listed much more nicely here. Additionally, I'd say that the events section on the website meant mainly for upcoming events, and we're only showing the old events as well because, well, why not? If you still think we should add the results despite all of that, then I'll ask the other admins, but I myself would like to focus on other matters.
Car or track suggestion board (Same as in Discords #suggestions channel)
Skin suggestion board (Same as in Discords #skins channel)
I wanted to do this months ago, but was told that we should just keep it on Discord because it's more convenient. I think this topic is the argument I needed in favor of the idea. I'll look into setting up some boards for the content packs soon.
Skarma

Unread post by Skarma » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:48 am

• Car or track suggestion board (Same as in Discords #suggestions channel)
Just want to chime in here and say that I entirely agree with this, but I think a subforum could be for all stocklike customs rather than limiting it to suggestions just for the I/O pack.

I know that the latter part is the main reason for this but the thing is that there are still many more custom cars that equally fit the bill, regardless of whether people agree on them being included or not. But these cars are hardly discussed because they are floating around on their own as a singular custom car as opposed to what's in the online packs, which pretty much most accountable members know of.

I reckon it should have a formatting equally similar to the suggestion rule on the Discord server but with more info. The first post will serve as the introduction and has all the relevant information on the car, as well as possible reasons for and against their inclusion with added input from our community members, then the topic can continue on with discussion about the car as normal. This doesn't have to be limited to just suggestions for the online pack, it can expand to any number of cars in general so we would still have something to quickly refer to for them in future, wether they become suggested or not or even for idea pack ideas/whatever else.

This not only allows us to find and iron out the suggestions easier because we can actually have a proper discussion about them without it getting buried and everyone can come back and catch up on the relevant info when needs be, but it can also be the start of properly exploring all these other cars that are not part of a pack or are generally unknown and in need of further analysis. Of course, we would prioritise cars already in the pack first before anything else and I also believe going through cars in chronological order would be best, as players would have had more time to try them out on a subjective basis.

This is something I'd be willing to help set up and maintain if this idea goes through. Considering it's essentially the same as what I want to do with the car database and it'd really help anyway...
Sauss-Ente

Unread post by Sauss-Ente » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:37 pm

An old discussion, but still relevant. I think you're handling it somewhat decent here in RVGL, having a fixed session calendar on the public website: https://re-volt.io/online/events

Discord surely might be convenient... but the price is your data. Discord is run by a company, that wants to make lots of money. The next user rights violation is on the wall. That's unfortuneatly what happened to many, many great platforms after whatever great business decision...

Anyways, there are some good reasons to reject Discord. So it would be always nice to keep the game somewhat open for other players as well (how it is now).

RV House seems to have fallen out as an option to host races, no activity there anymore, probably broken said someone here. Anything else? An IRC channel maybe? Direct connection, if a server is open, works of course.
Is there any list of currently open lobbies out there? That looks to be a weakness of Re-Volt, never being designed for bigger network play.
agg1401

Unread post by agg1401 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:45 pm

Unfortunately, RV House doesn't seem to be able to deliver. Maybe there may be support for server provisioning without any modem settings. In this way, anyone can set up their own server.

Let me come to Discord. Unfortunately, I agree with you on this issue. Its privacy is not good and this is the only best option.
Turkish Re-Volter.

:re-volt: :re-volt: :re-volt: :re-volt:
SebR

Unread post by SebR » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:00 pm

you can play rvgl on Voobly...
Damn DROPBOX !!! If you found broken link PM me

AlicebanD an English voice that you must discover !!