Re-Volt development/prototype discs, PC & Dreamcast

Talk about general topics regarding Re-Volt and the community.
Heisat

Re-Volt development/prototype discs, PC & Dreamcast

Unread post by Heisat » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:44 am

Thought some people on here might find these interesting!

Three different Re-Volt development discs:
PC version build from June 11th '99
PC version build from July 11th '99
Dreamcast version build from November 3rd '99

Based on the labels, it seems these were actually Acclaim's archival discs created during the development of the game rather than preview discs sent out to magazines and the like.

Re: Re-Volt development/prototype discs, PC & Dreamcast

Unread post by 607 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:58 pm

Interesting indeed, will you dump them?
Heisat

Unread post by Heisat » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:23 pm

I'll post some screenshots later.
numanoid

Unread post by numanoid » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:14 pm

Would also love to see more of whats on these discs, maybe you could post the directory trees as well? I could share a little script for that if you are looking for an easy way to do it.
idkwhattotype

Unread post by idkwhattotype » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:19 pm

Wow! Interesting. Can't wait to see what these prototypes contain.

Unread post by 607 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:38 am

I don't think he's going to do it, unfortunately.
Heisat

Unread post by Heisat » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:01 am

I can backup the PC ones but I don't have the tools to backup the DC one.
numanoid

Unread post by numanoid » Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:20 pm

A backup of the PC discs would be greatly appreciated.

As for the DC disc, do you have a console that you can use it with? If so, are there any apparent differences to the retail DC version? Any details about that would be interesting to hear/see, if there are none then it might not be worth the effort to dump it.

But maybe a community member with the necessary equipment can help out, assuming you'd be willing to mail the disc somewhere.

edit: Alternatively you could try ordering a Serial SD card Adapter, seems to me to be the cheapest option to dump DC discs (disclaimer: this is just based on my quick research about this topic, I don't have any experience actually dumping DC discs).
MightyCucumber

Unread post by MightyCucumber » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:35 pm

This is an amazing discovery!

If these are indeed archive disks, they certainly contain a lot of old files, maybe even some unreleased and never before seen content.

We uncover old models, textures, concept sketches, etc each year, so your disks might contain a treasure trove of "historical" Re-Volt files. Please do try to back them up so members of the community can eventually explore what they contain! ;)
Matsilagi

Unread post by Matsilagi » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:52 am

Really hope you post that!
The disk from July probably isn't that interesting since its a month before release, but the June one might contain something cool. Especially if its a full game based on the first demos we saw at e3, ones that still referred to a "Botanical Garden 2"

I doubt it will have anything interesting as leftovers (maybe Pemto or the DONNIE / ZedZed car if it wasn't removed early on), but you never know.

Please DO post it or share with people that has use to it, archiving and preserving that would be amazing.
Heisat

Unread post by Heisat » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:30 am

The 6/11 disc was on the development branch of one of the magazine demo discs, but the internal file dates predated the related demo's file dates.

The 7/11 disc was seemingly on the main game development branch, but beyond that I don't recall which release it relates to so I can't immediately say what exactly it predates. The date written on the disc seemed accurate relative to the file dates, so people with more knowledge of the game's releases could probably figure it out from that.

The date on the Dreamcast disc predates the filedate of the final US game by 27 days, assuming the date on the disc is correct. I've tested it out and it plays, but I don't remember what all was different (pretty much just checked to make sure it worked by playing a bit on a track or two).

The discs are all in pretty good shape, presumably because they were Acclaim's actual internal archival discs and not discs sent out to the press or whatever.
Matsilagi

Unread post by Matsilagi » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:12 am

ANy progress on the ISO dumping and generating for us to take a look?
Mostly interested on the PC ones.
idkwhattotype

Unread post by idkwhattotype » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:00 pm

We might even find a lost car if we’re lucky 😃