20th Re-Volt Anniversary

Talk about general topics regarding Re-Volt and the community.
URV
Administrator

20th Re-Volt Anniversary

Unread post by URV » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:05 pm

This year, on July 31st, we will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of the game. This is a very special occasion and I'd like to provide a place for us to discuss ideas on how to celebrate it.

This isn't meant just for events organized by us in the Re-Volt I/O team. I strongly urge everyone, from all sides of the community, to join in. Having a centralized place of discussion for this can be very useful, especially for planning things like meetups (and I hope we'll have more than just one of those).

Firstly, for brainstorming and general discussion, I recommend joining us on Discord, in the #20th-anniversary channel. It is more fast-paced and may be better suited for some initial planning. Once plans become more set in stone, I strongly advise to have them posted them in this topic, to make it easier to keep track of them. I'll keep this post updated with more information as things progress, and will eventually have the events properly listed on the main re-volt.io site as well.

Ideas so far
  • We (the RVIO team) are thinking of organising a meetup somewhere in Germany. Ideally, we could try to prepare some retro PCs to celebrate the anniversary with an old-school LAN party.
  • Kipy & Trixed are planning on releasing a big pack of 20 cars on the anniversary. More info here.
  • We could potentially start working on a video or two to document the history of the game and its community. I am personally interested in this, but will need the help of some old veteran members (veteran as in before 2009, if not early 2000s) to discuss the old days with.
ZipperZbieracz

Re: 20th Re-Volt Anniversary

Unread post by ZipperZbieracz » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:18 pm

Why retro PCs? Is it impossible to make a LAN party with laptops and modern PCs and theoretically do a LAN tourney or regular races with them & RVGL? Just asking.
URV
Administrator

Unread post by URV » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:21 pm

That's fine as well, if people prefer that. I'm personally a fan of retro PCs and retro gaming and thought it would be cool, especially for veterans (if they do join us at all). Figured I might not be the only one interested in something like that.

Of course, in the end, it really depends on what's financially feasible. It's a fair bit likelier that we'll just rent a place with its own computers rather than actually building retro PCs for this, heh.

Unread post by 607 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:24 am

Heh, I guess it would be cool to be able to play the original game again. :P
It's cool that you're thinking about this anniversary coming up, and actually created a forum topic and a Discord channel! I wasn't expecting as much.
OdieHerpaderp

Unread post by OdieHerpaderp » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:09 pm

It sure has been a while since i've seen you guys. I don't have a whole lotta time to check up on the forums and discord, but i'd be down to drop by for the meetup.

PS. i could surely use a new shirt, dear sponsor.
ZipperZbieracz

Unread post by ZipperZbieracz » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:23 pm

Oh yeah, we could make a one big order for a custom shirt, hoodie or mug (everyone would pay for his gadget + sending costs), they would be Re-Volt themed, for example they could contain the Volt or something different Re-Voltish.
agg1401

Unread post by agg1401 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:52 pm

I'm going to translate Re-Volt into Turkish.
Turkish Re-Volter.

:re-volt: :re-volt: :re-volt: :re-volt:
flyboy

Unread post by flyboy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:45 pm

I would most definitely come with Balesz and Andor :)
:blender:
Mace121

Unread post by Mace121 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:55 am

URV wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:05 pm
[*]We could potentially start working on a video or two to document the history of the game and its community. I am personally interested in this, but will need the help of some old veteran members (veteran as in before 2009, if not early 2000s) to discuss the old days with.[/list]
I was planning on doing that, years earlier, but didn't have the courage to do so. I got the ol' rough draft script if you're interested.
MAD
MIX
of MANY
URV
Administrator

Unread post by URV » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Hey there, two things. First off, for those who haven't been following it on Discord, the meetup is going to happen in Frankfurt on July 27-28. It's very hard to say whether we can manage anything special other than a LAN party and perhaps some real R/C racing, and I suspect most of the time will just be spent hanging out with fellow Re-Volters. Also, I'm going to host a second similar meetup in Bucharest on August 17-18.

Secondly, this month is packed with events, courtesy of Geromu and OhNej! We still have to write down a lot of info (particularly tracklists), but check out the list if you'd like to see what we've got planned.
ZipperZbieracz

Unread post by ZipperZbieracz » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Can't wait to not attend
Marv
Developer

Unread post by Marv » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:30 pm

See you in Bucharest :)
Wichilie

Unread post by Wichilie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:36 am

If you're joining us in Frankfurt on July 27th - 28th, please fill in this survey so we have an idea of what to expect.
Wichilie

Unread post by Wichilie » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:54 pm

I guess those who exclusively visit the forum never really got any closure on the Frankfurt meetup; you can watch this video to see us together! Alex turned the skatepark we visited into a track as well, which you can download here. It truly was a ton of fun :D