Custom car championship

A place for tourneys, competitions and other online racing events.
Avecezar

Custom car championship

Unread post by Avecezar » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:08 am

Hi,

I am trying to find the best performing cars controlled by AI. Such cars can then be used for competitive racing offline and fill up empty slots in online races.
My aim is to find best cars in all ranks: rookie, amateur, advanced, semi-pro, pro and super-pro.
According to rough calculation there are approximately 3000 pro cars alone on RVZ but the problem could be balancing of the cars.
I started testing pro cars. At first I wanted to single out the best 3-5 cars from available packs diligently selected by community members which are believed to be well balanced.

I tested all pro cars from these packs as of 31.01.2021:
► Show Spoiler
I grouped them into tiers. Each tier consisted of 10 pro cars. By coincidence there were exactly 8 tiers which equals 80 cars.

Tier1
► Show Spoiler
Tier2
► Show Spoiler
Tier3
► Show Spoiler
Tier4
► Show Spoiler
Tier5
► Show Spoiler
Tier6
► Show Spoiler
Tier7
► Show Spoiler
Tier8
► Show Spoiler
I chose 11 tracks to race against those cars. I was interested how they perform in hardcore AI environment created by Whitedoom.

Number of laps was adjusted such that each race on a given track had to last long enough to avoid bad start or stupid mistake influence on the final result. While adjusting number of laps, approximately 240 sec race on each track was my reference. 11 tracks 4 minutes each gave about 50 minutes test for each car.
The tracks selected for the first championship were:
► Show Spoiler
I used custom cup for the purpose of this championship.
This is the cup each car was put through:
► Show Spoiler
I usually waited long enough for the first 5 cars to arrive at least before skipping the rest of the race.
I got the following results:
tier1
► Show Spoiler
tier2
► Show Spoiler
tier3
► Show Spoiler
tier4
► Show Spoiler
tier5
► Show Spoiler
tier6
► Show Spoiler
tier7
► Show Spoiler
tier8
► Show Spoiler
Winners from each tier could then compete in the championship final which comprised of 8 best cars from each tier.
Final tier:
► Show Spoiler
The most exiting race was with these cars. I was really eager which car takes the 1st place and had my own expectations:
► Show Spoiler
In this way I got the best performing car in this specific championship. Rusults could have been different if cars had been tested on a different set of tracks.
Final results:
► Show Spoiler
Best performing car showcase:
► Show Spoiler
Most interesting part of the competition was over. Now I had to single out the 2nd best performing car. Logically it could only be a car from 1st and 2nd place in each tier. 2 tiers minus the best car in this championship equals 15 cars left for 2nd place competition.
I put all 15 cars through the same cup:
► Show Spoiler
with the following results:
► Show Spoiler
2nd best performing car showcase:
► Show Spoiler
Fight for the 3rd place had to consist of cars left over with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each tier, altogether 24 cars.
I put 12 cars in tier1 and 12 for final round with the winner from tier1, all through exactly the same cup.

Results of final round for 3rd place tier1:
► Show Spoiler
Results of the final for the 3rd place:
► Show Spoiler
3rd place showcase:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
I would like to put other cars to the test on various tracks and winners would be added each time to the best 15 team but under a certain condition: from the next championship only these which beat any of the 5 already selected cars would enter the best 15.
I enjoyed a lot this championship. The winners really don't allow you to rest on a track and there is no much room for errors to win the race, especially on Museum 2, Toy World 1, Supermarket 2, Wonderful Skylands 1, or Donut Plains 3.

Please find replaysof the final for the 1st place:
Final for the 1st place replays

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Continuation of testing.

When I look at possible cars I would like to put through the test I see problem with top speed which is way too high on some of them or acceleration and so on. Then I don't know what I should do to test them fairly? Please give me suggestions and if you like the idea join this effort to find 15 best performing cars in each rank.

Below is the list of cars in tier1 from 2nd championship I was planning to start. They are not balanced properly and I don't know how and if I should continue testing all pro cars at all.
► Show Spoiler
SDeG
Manmountain

Re: Custom car championship

Unread post by Manmountain » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:18 pm

Avecezar wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:08 am Hi,

I am trying to find the best performing cars controlled by AI. Such cars can then be used for competitive racing offline and fill up empty slots in online races.
I created a pack years ago for this very purpose, but did not receive much interest.
You can download the pack here : AI Test Pack
The pack utilises the graphics and models from the original Toyeca folder, so needs to be there.
These are just Pro class, but try a couple of races with them to get the idea.
Kipy

Unread post by Kipy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:13 pm

Manmountain wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:18 pm I created a pack years ago for this very purpose, but did not receive much interest.
You can download the pack here : AI Test Pack
The pack utilises the graphics and models from the original Toyeca folder, so needs to be there.
Sloth and AI Test 01 is way too powerful on garden for example. Impossible to beat them. Rest of the tracks they're fine.
Avecezar

Unread post by Avecezar » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:19 am

Manmountain wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:18 pm
I created a pack years ago for this very purpose, but did not receive much interest.
Very interesting pack. I think I onced tested this pack in the past.
Cars with these parameters are very competitive. Although they all have speed below original Toyeca max speed they easily overtake her. They perform a lot better on tracks with improved AI, hardcore AI environment created by Whitedoom.

Tracks with hardcore AI:

Tracks without improved AI:
SDeG
Manmountain

Unread post by Manmountain » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:38 pm

Avecezar wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:19 am Cars with these parameters are very competitive. Although they all have speed below original Toyeca max speed they easily overtake her. They perform a lot better on tracks with improved AI, hardcore AI environment created by Whitedoom.

The overtaking is due to the natural, or not so natural, rubber band effect.
Many tracks IMHO need a good AI tweak.
I raced on several personally tweaked tracks, many times, to find the Test AI car that best matched my own race times, I then use this car to provide me with a personal challenge no matter what other cars I'm racing against. It is amazing how often we are neck and neck at the finish line. Please note, I think it was Test AI 08, lol, I ain't that good.

Did you find your races overall more challenging or annoyingly difficult ?
Avecezar

Unread post by Avecezar » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:08 pm

Manmountain wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:38 pm Did you find your races overall more challenging or annoyingly difficult ?
It gives more challenge for sure. I will race against them as they are strong opponents.

It would also be nice if more tracks got ai tweaked for closer human like experience.
SDeG
Manmountain

Unread post by Manmountain » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:22 pm

Avecezar wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:08 pm It would also be nice if more tracks got ai tweaked for closer human like experience.
Yes, but the thing is the Human element makes it more unpredictable, and an extra challenge in itself.
Ato

Unread post by Ato » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:27 am

You can also try this: http://revoltzone.net/cars/10386/Expert ... ock%20Cars
Found it at Re-Volt Zone (she was hella productive...)

Greetz,
Ato