Any Good Re-Volt custom car tutorials

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
Ato

Re: Any Good Re-Volt custom car tutorials

Unread post by Ato » Sun May 30, 2021 4:16 am

Texture mapping is done in blender.
Doesn't matter if you do the parts all in one blend or each in differet blend file (the texture bmp is the same for all of them). You export them as separate .prm-s and put together in params. But it's more conmvenient ot make them all in one blend, so you visually see how they fit tohether.

Greetz,
Ato

Also, ppl shouldn't have to apologize for asking questions. It's how you learn.
Горячий Павел

Unread post by Горячий Павел » Sun May 30, 2021 3:46 pm

Keamon wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:22 am
Skarma wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:16 pm All you ever need to create a car is Blender 2.79b with the RV plugin, you won't require the use of any archaic tools. Any image editor that you feel comfortable with can be used to make textures but I wouldn't recommend Paint. For editing parameters, you only need Notepad, Notepad++, whatever you use to edit .txt files. And the game itself, of course, to see and test your changes.
Also (Very sorry for asking a lot of questions) are wheels made at the same time as the body or done in a different .blend file?
Wheel - a separate model, but uses one texture with the body.
Горячий Павел, or Goryachiy Pavel, can just Pavel.
Keamon

Unread post by Keamon » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:54 am

Горячий Павел wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:46 pm
Keamon wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:22 am
Skarma wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:16 pm All you ever need to create a car is Blender 2.79b with the RV plugin, you won't require the use of any archaic tools. Any image editor that you feel comfortable with can be used to make textures but I wouldn't recommend Paint. For editing parameters, you only need Notepad, Notepad++, whatever you use to edit .txt files. And the game itself, of course, to see and test your changes.
Also (Very sorry for asking a lot of questions) are wheels made at the same time as the body or done in a different .blend file?
Wheel - a separate model, but uses one texture with the body.
I'm still a bit confused by a three things.
One: When mapping textures, do I make them in something like photoshop, then import them into Blender, map them onto the car, then export the car? does it split the texture and car in a bmp and a prm file respectively?

Two: If I make the wheel in blender seperately then map it's texture, and then export it, does the wheel texture get added to the original bmp of the car body texture?

Three: what is the font for carboxes?
Skarma

Unread post by Skarma » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:03 pm

Typically, you would UV unwrap the model, export the UV layout and use it as a guide to paint the texture in whatever image editor. Cars in RV only use a single texture so everything related to it has to be on there. You could still make the texture first then try to map it on to the model but this is less practical.

Impact is the font used for carboxes.
Keamon

Unread post by Keamon » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:47 pm

Skarma wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:03 pm Typically, you would UV unwrap the model, export the UV layout and use it as a guide to paint the texture in whatever image editor. Cars in RV only use a single texture so everything related to it has to be on there. You could still make the texture first then try to map it on to the model but this is less practical.

Impact is the font used for carboxes.
I'm sorry I don't understand. I'm still trying to wrap my head around Blender
Ato

Unread post by Ato » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:01 am

> One: When mapping textures, do I make them in something like photoshop, then import them into Blender, map them onto the car, then export the car?
Yes.

> does it split the texture and car in a bmp and a prm file respectively?
You save the texture as bmp in photoshop, and you export the mode lfrom Blender as prm.

> Two: If I make the wheel in blender seperately then map it's texture, and then export it, does the wheel texture get added to the original bmp of the car body texture?
No. You map the wheel, and the body, and the spoiler, and etc. to the same single bmp texture file, in diffeenrent corners or sides of the bmp, in Blender. Then export each part as prm. The texture bmp remains the same. In car folder you'll have one texture bmp and several prm files using it.
Keamon

Unread post by Keamon » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:25 am

Ato wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:01 am > One: When mapping textures, do I make them in something like photoshop, then import them into Blender, map them onto the car, then export the car?
Yes.

> does it split the texture and car in a bmp and a prm file respectively?
You save the texture as bmp in photoshop, and you export the mode lfrom Blender as prm.

> Two: If I make the wheel in blender seperately then map it's texture, and then export it, does the wheel texture get added to the original bmp of the car body texture?
No. You map the wheel, and the body, and the spoiler, and etc. to the same single bmp texture file, in diffeenrent corners or sides of the bmp, in Blender. Then export each part as prm. The texture bmp remains the same. In car folder you'll have one texture bmp and several prm files using it.
Alright, I've made a model and I think it looks pretty good, I'm now up to making textures, and I've decided to use inkscape, but I'm having a bit of trouble
Keamon

Unread post by Keamon » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:41 am

Also, I exported to body to re-volt to test it (I'm not finished with it yet, still needs textures and finalising) and when I add it to my car, the body is extremely big for whatever reason
Ato

Unread post by Ato » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:36 am

Wel done for now.
The model is too big in Blender. Import a stock car's body.prm into the same blend file for comparison, you can delete it after resizing your car's body.

Greetz,
Ato
Keamon

Unread post by Keamon » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:38 am

Ato wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:36 am Wel done for now.
The model is too big in Blender. Import a stock car's body.prm into the same blend file for comparison, you can delete it after resizing your car's body.

Greetz,
Ato
Ok, I have resized the body and now I'm making the wheel arches bigger (I know how to do this). I'm just having a bit of trouble making textures
Ato

Unread post by Ato » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:46 am

Well, you can do Smart UV Unwrap or UV Unwrap from View, in Blender. That usually gives a good layout for mapping.
Well, I'm no good at making textures, sry. I always use an existing model from somwhere.

Greetz,
Ato
Keamon

Unread post by Keamon » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:41 am

Ato wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:46 am Well, you can do Smart UV Unwrap or UV Unwrap from View, in Blender. That usually gives a good layout for mapping.
Well, I'm no good at making textures, sry. I always use an existing model from somwhere.

Greetz,
Ato
Ok. Do you know anyone who knows anything? I've been using Blender 2.93 to make the model and UV mapping it, then exporting it to 2.79 as an OBJ then exporting it again as a bmp (I really hate 2.79 because I find it's more frustrating to use). But for some reason, a texture that I map in 2.9 is not kept on the obj as I move it over. It doesn't do anything when I try to map textures in 2.79, and when I check the UV menu in 2.79 it shows a completely different netting for mapping. This is getting infuriating. And what's more, I can't seem to get inkscape to export as bmp, so I have to just use png.
Ato

Unread post by Ato » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:03 am

If the obj doesn't keep the mapping, try some other format for the transition. Bblender supports several, try them.

Greetz,
Ato
Keamon

Unread post by Keamon » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:26 am

Ato wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:03 am If the obj doesn't keep the mapping, try some other format for the transition. Bblender supports several, try them.

Greetz,
Ato
Someone has created a prm exporter for Blender 2.9, so I've been using it to export to 2.79b, but only on occasion does it keep it's texture, where most of the time the texture is lost and the car just turns black
Ato

Unread post by Ato » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:53 am

You can convert png to bmp easily with e.g. Paint.net, Irfanview, or even Winfdows' own Paint.

Greetz,
Ato
Keamon

Unread post by Keamon » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:41 am

Ato wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:53 am You can convert png to bmp easily with e.g. Paint.net, Irfanview, or even Winfdows' own Paint.

Greetz,
Ato
How do I get a good image of my car for the carbox? I have one but it doesn't look very good
Ato

Unread post by Ato » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:19 am

Found this "green screen" track in the forrum, apparently peaople have been using this for quite some time to take carbox pictures.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e7P39c ... sp=sharing
Go there with your car, turn left and drive a little towards the white wall there, so you'll have a clear white background for your car. Pause at the actionmoment you want (if you want skidmarks) or at standstill, and use Shift + F5 to hide the HUD, and Shift + Ctrl + F5 to hide the in-game menu (found there: https://re-volt.gitlab.io/rvgl-docs/adv ... l#commands). Then use the camera keys F6 and WASDQE to get a good angle.

Happy screenshot hunting!

Greetz,
Ato
Keamon

Unread post by Keamon » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:25 am

Ato wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:19 am Found this "green screen" track in the forrum, apparently peaople have been using this for quite some time to take carbox pictures.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e7P39c ... sp=sharing
Go there with your car, turn left and drive a little towards the white wall there, so you'll have a clear white background for your car. Pause at the actionmoment you want (if you want skidmarks) or at standstill, and use Shift + F5 to hide the HUD, and Shift + Ctrl + F5 to hide the in-game menu (found there: https://re-volt.gitlab.io/rvgl-docs/adv ... l#commands). Then use the camera keys F6 and WASDQE to get a good angle.

Happy screenshot hunting!

Greetz,
Ato
Alright, I've got a good one.
What program do you use to make it? I'm wanting the text to go behind the car to get keep the shadow, because background removing software removes the shadow as well as the white background.

Thanks
Ato

Unread post by Ato » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:28 pm

Paint.net. Do the text on a white slate (font is Impact), and then paste the car from the screenshot as a layer on top of the text (maybe resize the screenshot first (make backups! This can never be stressed enough, I know, I’ve been burned twice in my life and never again!)). Then Magic Wand tool with 25-40% (depends on each case) to selelct the unnecessary background, Del the background, and voila. Save as bmp (Flatten when asks). Only the shadow transparency is beyond me, I always leave them opaque.

Greetz,
Ato