Multiple instances of RVGL well organized

Report issues or bugs in RVGL or ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic.
Avecezar

Multiple instances of RVGL well organized

Unread post by Avecezar » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:28 pm

Hi,

Can you help how to organize multiple instances of RVGL?

I would like to have separately:
- base RVGL content, unchangeable
- RVON packs content only
- IO packs content only
- test content only

Once I have created base content first, then made required copies and installed required packs in given installations, but it consumes more space than necessary I suppose. I know there are commands like -basepath, -prefpath or -chdir but I'm not certain how to utilize them.

Is there any better way to organize this?
SDeG
URV
Administrator

Re: Multiple instances of RVGL well organized

Unread post by URV » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:20 am

What OS are you using? If you are on Linux, it would be possible to organize it efficiently if you use symlinks. For instance, if you move out the cars folder from the game directory, then create a symlink of it in its place, the game will still load the cars properly.

On Windows, I'm as clueless as you are. We planned on creating a launcher for the game, and my original idea was to have it work similarly to Mod Organizer. If you're not familiar with it, this tool is able to keep mod folders separate from the game directory, and somehow hook them together. This essentially allows creating multiple configurations with different mods enabled. I have no idea how it achieves this, but it's proof that it's possible.

Unfortunately, no one is able to continue working on the RVGL launcher as far as I know, so the project is on hiatus now. Perhaps another option would be to see if it's possible to adapt Mod Organizer to work with Re-Volt.

P.S.: I can't help you with the commands since I'm not familiar with them, but I remember trying out -chdir before and it didn't really work for something like this. You'd still have a lot of duplicate content in the end.
Avecezar

Unread post by Avecezar » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:43 am

Thx URV for prompt reply.
I forgot to mention that I'm on Windows.

Maybe someone else will share his experience as well.
SDeG
Ato

Unread post by Ato » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:45 am

Only thingyou have to do is let all packs sit in the same installation, and manually (or by script or whstever) rename the cars and levels folders according ot what you use.
Examle:
test use:
[cars]
[levels]
[cars_original]
[levels_original]
[cars_RVON]
[levels_RVON]
[other folders]
other files

RVON use:
[cars_test]
[levels_test]
[cars_original]
[levels_original]
[cars]
[levels]
[other folders]
other files

etc.

That should give you the minimum footprint.

Greets, Ato
Avecezar

Unread post by Avecezar » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:06 pm

Although time consuming but will try your solution Ato.
Thx
SDeG
Ato

Unread post by Ato » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:38 am

Time consuming? One installation, and then just picking what goes into which pack. Methinks the only time consumed is for putting together the packs, and you have done that aready.
Greets, Ato.