Post upload tweaking at RVZ

Ask for help regarding any Re-Volt topic here.
User avatar
Manmountain
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:56 am
Discord: #2866
Location: England UK

Post upload tweaking at RVZ

Unread post by Manmountain » Wed May 20, 2020 5:00 pm

Hi all ;)
I have an honest request of you all,
Please could you be absolutely sure and content with your car creations BEFORE you upload them to RVZ.
I am getting a little tired of post upload tweaking because of either external opinion or personal tinkering, so then needs to be downloaded again.
If you need an alternate point of view then ask for Beta tester's before you upload what should be the final product.
Better still, if you have an alternate skin and parameters then upload as a NEW creation/repaint.
If the tweak is a direct cause due to the latest release of the game that totally changes the current upload then consider as above and create a totally new creation (new name, new skin, new parameters), so the differences can be fully appreciated.

Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated, 8-) thank you.
Image
User avatar
Saffron
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:12 pm
Discord: Saffron#8266

Re: Post upload tweaking at RVZ

Unread post by Saffron » Wed May 20, 2020 8:48 pm

No.
Andor
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:12 pm

Re: Post upload tweaking at RVZ

Unread post by Andor » Wed May 20, 2020 9:02 pm

No.
User avatar
L!LMexican
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:09 am
Discord: L!lMexican#1768
Location: Dayton, Ohio. USA

Re: Post upload tweaking at RVZ

Unread post by L!LMexican » Wed May 20, 2020 9:03 pm

No.
I'm Gonna Pass You.

Taro
User avatar
URV
Site Admin
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:36 pm
Discord: URV#9830
Location: Europe 3
Contact:

Re: Post upload tweaking at RVZ

Unread post by URV » Wed May 20, 2020 9:03 pm

There are several reasons why people update their content and should continue doing so:

Firstly, the best way to find out the flaws of your content is by releasing it and allowing the players to try it out. Criticism will be given, and the author can use that feedback to improve their content. True, you could attempt to get some beta testers instead before releasing it, but the reality is that it's much less efficient and more flaws could still turn up post-release. There's also the question of finding beta testers in the first place.

Secondly, sometimes the author might realize too late that they've made a mistake, or that they forgot to implement something. It's natural for a creator to want to be satisfied with their own work, therefore it might be difficult for them not to update the content. Creating a new release for minor edits is unreasonable and would flood the list of new releases.

Finally, as creators tend to improve their skills, they might want to go back to some of their older releases and bring them up to their current standards. In this particular case, I would say it makes the most sense to just create a new version of the content is said. However, speaking for myself, I would still prefer to update said content directly, and list old versions on my personal website instead. This especially applies when the improvements are still minor (bug fixes in particular) or visual (such as better shading for a car texture).

That said, I do understand your frustration here, and agree that we should limit updating content whenever possible for convenience (or at least deliver them in rare, bigger batches rather than small but frequent ones). But if something needs to be updated, the author shouldn't abstain from doing so either.
User avatar
Manmountain
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:56 am
Discord: #2866
Location: England UK

Re: Post upload tweaking at RVZ

Unread post by Manmountain » Wed May 20, 2020 9:29 pm

NO ? not exactly a mature response guys, lol :lol:

If they are minor tweaks, then don't bother, save your newly improved skill's for your next release.
There probably should then be an 'Updated@ section on the title screen so it is clear what has actually been updated, as post can quickly go down the listing and bigger batches of updates would not all be seen.

Just my opinion guys, as an old time Re-Volter. :D
Image
User avatar
hajducsekb
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:13 pm
Location: ~/
Contact:

Re: Post upload tweaking at RVZ

Unread post by hajducsekb » Wed May 20, 2020 9:34 pm

Hey!

I can see what you mean with your post, Manmountain, but I would like to provide you with a different perspective for cars that are being released. A few beta testers have a much lower chance of finding bugs in a car compared to many people who can download it from RVZ. Therefore, people should release cars that are ready for release, but they shouldn't finalize it, because bugs can be noticed at any time. If there is a bug with the car, they can release hotfixes.

Another issue is that some people want their car to be raceable online, and for that, the car needs to be balanced compared to other vehicles. But the only way to properly test this out is by actually racing the said car online. And for a track to get added to the pack, it needs to be released first.

On another note, I can also see why you think the way you do, and as someone who likes to keep their older stuff around and hoard them, I can partially relate to that. But I don't think you should consider a "released" car a "final version", rather a car that's close to being finished, because of the points listed above. ;)
No.
That's such a solid arguement right there, guys :?
WORDART IS COOL
User avatar
URV
Site Admin
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:36 pm
Discord: URV#9830
Location: Europe 3
Contact:

Re: Post upload tweaking at RVZ

Unread post by URV » Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 pm

That's alright. Despite the rows of "no" above, don't feel discouraged about sharing your opinion with us. I disagree with it, but no hard feelings, right?

All I can add is that, personally, it wouldn't sit right with me to abstain from updating my content if I wanted to do it. Perhaps it may be a bit selfish of me, and a result of perfectionism, but I can't leave my own work untouched if I feel it could be even better. Additionally, if I were to take the route of creating new versions of old content I'm unhappy with, I'd only be satisfied if I were to go all out—in the case of a car, that means a new paintjob, new parameters, etc. But that may simply be far too much work than I bargained for if all I wanted was, for instance, to give it some better shading, or to fix some hull issues. And just abandoning it feels like such a waste to me.

In the end, creators are free to do whatever they want with their creations. If they're content with just leaving old projects as they are and would rather just focus on new projects, more power to them!
User avatar
Saffron
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:12 pm
Discord: Saffron#8266

Re: Post upload tweaking at RVZ

Unread post by Saffron » Wed May 20, 2020 10:25 pm

"Hey, you know this cool feature that allows authors to update their own content on the site without having to pester the administrators? Stop using it because I don't like people using it."

You are quite clearly well out of the loop with what authors do in the year 2020. We release cars, refine them, balance them for online racing, add additional skins and paintkits for other authors to create additional paintjobs for, the list goes on. Telling us to stop all of that is also asking for creators to make do with stagnation, and to do away with constant iteration and improvement of existing creations. A sentiment one will commonly see shared amongst the older, and/or more conservatively-minded people in the community.
User avatar
Manmountain
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:56 am
Discord: #2866
Location: England UK

Re: Post upload tweaking at RVZ

Unread post by Manmountain » Thu May 21, 2020 1:41 pm

Saffron wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:25 pm
"Hey, you know this cool feature that allows authors to update their own content on the site without having to pester the administrators? Stop using it because I don't like people using it."

You are quite clearly well out of the loop with what authors do in the year 2020. We release cars, refine them, balance them for online racing, add additional skins and paintkits for other authors to create additional paintjobs for, the list goes on. Telling us to stop all of that is also asking for creators to make do with stagnation, and to do away with constant iteration and improvement of existing creations. A sentiment one will commonly see shared amongst the older, and/or more conservatively-minded people in the community.
LOL, :lol: cheeky. May be slightly behind the current 'make & release then tweak' culture, but I understand the need for perfection.
URV wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 pm
That's alright. Despite the rows of "no" above, don't feel discouraged about sharing your opinion with us. I disagree with it, but no hard feelings, right?

All I can add is that, personally, it wouldn't sit right with me to abstain from updating my content if I wanted to do it. Perhaps it may be a bit selfish of me, and a result of perfectionism, but I can't leave my own work untouched if I feel it could be even better. Additionally, if I were to take the route of creating new versions of old content I'm unhappy with, I'd only be satisfied if I were to go all out—in the case of a car, that means a new paintjob, new parameters, etc. But that may simply be far too much work than I bargained for if all I wanted was, for instance, to give it some better shading, or to fix some hull issues. And just abandoning it feels like such a waste to me.

In the end, creators are free to do whatever they want with their creations. If they're content with just leaving old projects as they are and would rather just focus on new projects, more power to them!
No hard feelings at all, the current community amaze me constantly with all the latest creations.
And a little banter can be humorous and stimulating. ;)
hajducsekb wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:34 pm
Hey!

I can see what you mean with your post, Manmountain, but I would like to provide you with a different perspective for cars that are being released. A few beta testers have a much lower chance of finding bugs in a car compared to many people who can download it from RVZ. Therefore, people should release cars that are ready for release, but they shouldn't finalize it, because bugs can be noticed at any time. If there is a bug with the car, they can release hotfixes.

Another issue is that some people want their car to be raceable online, and for that, the car needs to be balanced compared to other vehicles. But the only way to properly test this out is by actually racing the said car online. And for a track to get added to the pack, it needs to be released first.

On another note, I can also see why you think the way you do, and as someone who likes to keep their older stuff around and hoard them, I can partially relate to that. But I don't think you should consider a "released" car a "final version", rather a car that's close to being finished, because of the points listed above. ;)
No.
That's such a solid arguement right there, guys :?
All my point is trying to state is that there are a lot of 'updates' and may be the site should have an "Newly Updated" section or may be a "Released For Testing" section. Just so all the updates do not get lost with all the other post's. I DO NOT wish for anyone to stop moving forward with developing their skills and creations.

As a long standing senior community member I have seen a lot of new developments over the last 21 years, some creations definitely need updating but I would think tracks over cars.

Be patient with your creations, test them on several different style/surface tracks (my own AI Project Test Track was ideal for this), view the creation from every possible angle to ensure it looks just right, then be happily confident with it before releasing it. There is no need to rush if perfection is your goal.

I welcome all feedback on my opinions, because being a crazy stuck in the past hoarding old timer :D , I may get a little confused regards mutual respect. If my general observed opinion offends then sorry guy's no offence meant. I have total respect and admiration of you all and your creations. :ugeek:

Thank you for your responses, lets me know I'm still alive.
Image
User avatar
URV
Site Admin
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:36 pm
Discord: URV#9830
Location: Europe 3
Contact:

Re: Post upload tweaking at RVZ

Unread post by URV » Thu May 21, 2020 2:14 pm

Manmountain wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:41 pm
All my point is trying to state is that there are a lot of 'updates' and may be the site should have an "Newly Updated" section or may be a "Released For Testing" section. Just so all the updates do not get lost with all the other post's.
It actually is possible to see the latest updates by going to the search system and using these filters:

Image

Unfortunately, it's not possible to get a link with these filters already enabled, and it would definitely be better if the latest updates were listed on the left, below "New Comments". Still, until Zach comes back from the grave and gives RVZ some love again, that'll have to do. :grimacing:
User avatar
Manmountain
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:56 am
Discord: #2866
Location: England UK

Re: Post upload tweaking at RVZ

Unread post by Manmountain » Thu May 21, 2020 2:33 pm

OK, right. thank you.
But that is exactly what I would like, an extra 'Update's' list on the title screen.
I'll give Zach a poke and see if he stir's, lol.
Image
Post Reply