POD: Re-Volted Project

Post about the progress of your projects.
mrroblinx

POD: Re-Volted Project

Unread post by mrroblinx » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:18 pm

Hey there forum peeps. This is my second post in here, hope you'll forgive any noobness in regards to using it.
I decided to create this post to document the progress of my conversion project - POD: Re-Volted.
Image POD: Re-Volted is a total conversion of the 1997 racing game from UbiSoft called POD: Planet of Death. The game is now very old and dated, but I really enjoy its visuals, and the feeling it gives you as you race these empty streets of Jupiter's moon Io. This is the first game I've ever played, which means I'm full of nostalgia for it.

The goal is to create a "game" using Re-Volt as a base, you could think of this as a POD recreation in some way.

- PLANNED -

Custom frontend.
Custom cups.
At least 33 cars.
At least 36 tracks.
Custom music inspired by POD. --- Composed by Kitaro98

If anyone wants to offer any help regarding all of the above, I would really appreciate it :) but it's not necessary.

- CARS -

Cars that are completed will have a " :re-volt: " on them.
For the old future cars pack, here's the link: http://files.byondhome.com/Foomer/Aeoni ... nloads.htm (Credits to all original owners of these cars).

--- Original cars --- :re-volt:
► Show Spoiler
--- Gold extra cars --- :re-volt:
► Show Spoiler
--- Back to Hell / Extended Time expansion cars/bikes ---
► Show Spoiler
--- OEM version cars --- (I do not have their models in a format supported by blender, so they'll need to be recreated).
► Show Spoiler
--- POD Arcade unreleased cars --- (Even rarer than OEM cars, there's only pictures of them left, the names here are given by me).
► Show Spoiler
1/29/2020 update: On this point forward I'll not be releasing cars individually. All of them will be released once all are finished.

- TRACKS -

Tracks that are completed will have a " :re-volt: " on them.
The next track that I'm converting will have a " :rvpizza: " on it.
Tracks that have been made by other people, and that I will need to remake will have a " :grilledcheese: " on them.

--- Original tracks ---
► Show Spoiler
--- Gold extra tracks ---
► Show Spoiler
--- Back to Hell / Extended Time expansion tracks ---
► Show Spoiler
--- Others ---
► Show Spoiler

- GALLERY -
Roc Image Azthec Image Megapol Image Skyrace Image Magnetic Image fxpage2 Image
- CREDITS -

BL4 plugin for converting POD tracks: Ray Koopa
Car models: zxc6713
Recreation of OEM and Arcade cars: Quix
Custom music/sound composer: Kitaro98
New circular skybox: Potato_Face a.k.a Tubers
Beta testing: Matsilagi (For testing Spin)

I'll be updating this as I complete stuff, thanks for reading :D
Last edited by mrroblinx on Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:43 am, edited 45 times in total.
mrroblinx

Re: POD: Re-Volted Project

Unread post by mrroblinx » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:26 pm

Cocoon WIP Image
Image Wasp animation test https://youtu.be/EV6m0Bo98J8

Special thanks to Ray Koopa of the POD discord server for providing me with a BL4 plugin for blender that they made. Really made my day a lot easier!
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:18 pm

Impressive project, mrroblinx. I really like your professional approach, and it really seems you will manage completing the whole thing. Also I like how you try (and succeed) solve different things, with the possibilities RVGL gives you. I also like doing such stuff - seeing what is possible with RVGL - trying out everything until you get to a point where you reached some limit, and solving this thing by being creative.

I know the P.O.D. game from back then, cause I was a teenager at this time, but I've never played it. However, I'm sure I will give your tracks and cars a try one day. Keep up the good work, and good luck for the next tracks!
mrroblinx

Unread post by mrroblinx » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:04 pm

Thank you very much for your works Kiwi. :D
You have no idea how much that helps me find motivation!!! Not that I didn't have any motivation, 'cause POD is my favorite game ever and there's no way I could get tired of it, haha.

Really hope you like them whenever you play them.
mrroblinx

Unread post by mrroblinx » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:19 pm

Spin WIP Image Image Image After this track is done, I may take a really short break from POD to try something different, but don't worry, it will be super short.

Unread post by 607 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:09 pm

I'm loving your use of custom 3D animations! Were these in the original game as well?
mrroblinx wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:19 pm After this track is done, I may take a really short break from POD to try something different, but don't worry, it will be super short.
'something different' sounds cool, too. :D
mrroblinx

Unread post by mrroblinx » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:20 pm

607 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:09 pm I'm loving your use of custom 3D animations! Were these in the original game as well?
Some are, the crane in particular wasn't in the original, I added that to give more life to the track :)
Also thanks haha
mrroblinx

Unread post by mrroblinx » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:28 pm

Special:
Image Image Image Image

RVZ page: http://revoltzone.net/tracks/46309/POD:%20Special
Direct download: http://revoltzone.net/sitescripts/dload.php?id=46309

Break is finally over! Sorry for not doing a trailer this time, didn't feel necessary.
mrroblinx

Unread post by mrroblinx » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:51 pm

Galleria: Image

RVZ Page: http://revoltzone.net/tracks/46446/POD:%20Galleria
Direct link: http://revoltzone.net/sitescripts/dload.php?id=46446

Been really busy recently, I don't know how fast these will be releasing, but I think at least 3 a month should be possible (Edit: lol nope).
Last edited by mrroblinx on Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZipperZbieracz

Unread post by ZipperZbieracz » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:18 pm

Very nice to see tracks form another game seeing second life in Re-Volt, that shows this game has great possibilities.
mrroblinx

Unread post by mrroblinx » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:08 am

ZipperZbieracz wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:18 pm Very nice to see tracks form another game seeing second life in Re-Volt, that shows this game has great possibilities.
It sure does. If it wasn't for the custom animations update, I don't think I would make this project a reality. But so much more things are possible with that update now... it's insane.

Unread post by 607 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:35 pm

mrroblinx wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:08 am It sure does. If it wasn't for the custom animations update, I don't think I would make this project a reality. But so much more things are possible with that update now... it's insane.
And it's lovely to see the new possibilities being used! :)
Edit: Are more cars coming as well?
mrroblinx

Unread post by mrroblinx » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:08 pm

Edit: Are more cars coming as well?
I'll release all the cars when they're all done, as a pack.

Unread post by 607 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:06 pm

mrroblinx wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:08 pm I'll release all the cars when they're all done, as a pack.
Aha! Why, I wonder? I liked trying out new tracks and new cars in combination, and for the past few tracks there have not been new cars to use on them. And I assume that when the car pack is released, there won't be enough upcoming tracks to try them on anymore. :P
mrroblinx

Unread post by mrroblinx » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:09 pm

Aha! Why, I wonder? I liked trying out new tracks and new cars in combination, and for the past few tracks there have not been new cars to use on them. And I assume that when the car pack is released, there won't be enough upcoming tracks to try them on anymore. :P
Oh trust me the cars will come before a lot of tracks, there's still like 20-something tracks left.
About the reason, I just didn't want to spam RVZ with POD cars, and it's better to have a pack that people can download with one click.

Unread post by 607 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:21 am

mrroblinx wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:09 pm Oh trust me the cars will come before a lot of tracks, there's still like 20-something tracks left.
About the reason, I just didn't want to spam RVZ with POD cars, and it's better to have a pack that people can download with one click.
Makes sense! Good to hear there are still plenty more tracks. :D
mrroblinx

Unread post by mrroblinx » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:58 pm

Just wanted to say that Kitaro98 offered their help in creating music AND sound effects for the game! This is truly a great turn of events.

Also added a new section on the main post, the Credits.
CJPortugal

Unread post by CJPortugal » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:34 pm

Outstanding work, keep them coming! In my opinion this is one of the most faithful conversions in the history of Re-Volt (excluding your MMV4 track, that's on a whole another level(I might be biased as MMV4 was one of my childhood games))
mrroblinx

Unread post by mrroblinx » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:11 pm

Aww thanks for that! I'll for sure keep them coming :)

I also may do more MMV4 tracks one day, not in a while though.
mrroblinx

Unread post by mrroblinx » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:59 pm

I'm back... again, sorry about disappearing like that. Anyway, here's a track!

ZED:
Image Image Image Image Many things seem to have changed since I left. One of those changes is the new website for storing Re-Volt tracks called Re-Volt World. I'll probably upload to both sites. At least for now since some people still don't know about it.

RVW Page: https://www.revoltworld.net/dl/pod-zed/
RVZ Page: http://revoltzone.net/tracks/60227/POD:%20ZED
Direct link (RVZ): http://revoltzone.net/sitescripts/dload.php?id=60227
mrroblinx

Unread post by mrroblinx » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:45 am

Back for some more.

Beltane:
Image Image Image Image Really simple track, fitting for the first track of POD. I didn't want to mess with it by adding anything new as I view this one as the most recognizable tracks in POD.

Link: https://www.revoltworld.net/dl/pod-beltane/
Last edited by mrroblinx on Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.