Alex Dev Diary

Post about the progress of your projects.
Alex

Alex Dev Diary

Unread post by Alex » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:50 am

As I've been recently started to get into the swing of things in content creation I thought I would start this up both for those who might be interested in this sort of thing and for myself to look back on in the future. I also don't want to have a thread for each thing I'm working on so I can use this for smaller scale projects too.

So what have I been doing? Submit 14 things to RVZ in a single week, +1 where I got credit. Wow that's a lot.

That may seem insane but 10 of those are months old at this point. Starting off in September of last year clocking in at 11 months are the Mario Kart Wii custom track conversions of which there were 8 off. Then from April this year at 4 months of age is bonezone which made it's debut this Alls Fair. Last off from May from only 3 months ago is Botania Terra which you may remember from this contest. All of them needed only a few reposition triggers to avoid cuts or absolutely nothing. I was just lazy.

I also got author credit on the car eggdog for figuring out what made it crash the game. Didn't do anything on it besides that but thanks URV!

But lazy is what I've not been these past few weeks, I've actually been working on stuff instead of just laying down a few repos. First we have my Alls Fair 7 submissions SSJ Garfield, Ratboy Genius and Botanical Garden. With these I barely managed to eek out a win by a single point over Shara with URV also only 8 points behind. You can check out the VODs from my perspective here (Day 1) and here (Day 2).

And to top it off we have Skatepark F20, a very special track for me with some good backstory. For Re-Volts 20th Anniversary over on the RVIO discord we organized a meetup in Frankfurt. One of the things we did was race real RC cars on a skate park under a bridge. This is a recreation of that very skate park and it's surroundings. Attendees got their name featured in prominent graffiti and pictures we took are littered throughout the map.

And what's next?
I'm sure some of you didn't come here to read about things which are already out and for those I have good news. While this may seem like a ton the scope of them was kept mercifully small so I still got something else I was able to work on.

A currently unnamed track inspired by the maps of Ratz Instagib complete in monochrome using only a single texture that's a gradient from black to white. It will go through a variety of apartments and rooftops through furniture windows and vents. Have a look and feel free to shoot out some name ideas.

This is what this thread will most likely focus on in the near future but I have more stuff I want to do. Tell me which of these you would like to see.
► Show Spoiler

Re: Alex Dev Diary

Unread post by 607 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:54 am

A Synthwave 2 could be good!
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:44 pm

The Unnamed Track sounds very promising. I love Edinburgh. Raced around it in PGR2 in the early 2000's, and visited it a few years ago. What a nice city. My vote for this one. :)
r6te

Unread post by r6te » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:35 am

Agreed with Kiwi. Edinburgh is super beautiful. I'd love to see a track in that theme. Maybe even with a spooky night setting as reversed ;)
Alex

Unread post by Alex » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:56 am

Now it's been a while since my last update here mostly cause I've been away from home for two weeks but also because work on tracks isn't really going anywhere right now. I'm lacking interest right now in the monochrome track and for Sythwave 2 and Edinburgh I have not gathered enough ideas for a full raceline. What I might do in the meantime is work on a circuit track. The recent circuit sessions were pretty fun and doing one seems like a nice time too. We'll see

What I do have to show is a car I made in the meantime. Inspired by the famous killdozer with textures stitched together from Sonic Adventure 2 this is the Crashdozer, a crazy heavyweight superpro with good handling but bad acceleration.
Alex

Unread post by Alex » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:30 am

Well I've got something nice to show you. Is it anything I've talked about here before? No.
https://streamable.com/ftpl0
Wichilie and Zeino are hosting another lego extreme competition and the inspiration bug bit me. I really want to get this done before the 24th in time for the Halloween carnival. I still got time but I'm a lazy prick and also want to make a car for that as well so I need to get off my bum and get busy. Wish me luck
Alex

Unread post by Alex » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:55 pm

I got some real solid skeleton related updates for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thzxXNDTf-g
The Skeleton Rave is finished! It is sort of barebones (please laugh) as there was a deadline of the 24th and I didn't want to flesh it out (please laugh) as I didn't want to risk taking on too much and missing it. It's part of Wichilies Lego Extreme Competition as mentioned in the last post and any tracks for it are eligible for the Halloween Carnival on the 25th/26th too. So in the end it's a bunch of dead (please laugh) hallways connecting to the main setpiece but that was my original vision of the track. There were a few more ideas I had in regards to flashing lights but texture animations are so unwieldy that I was afraid that any change would make the entire thing drop dead (please laugh).

https://streamable.com/a2u84
Speaking of the Halloween Carnival I also finished my car for it. I initially wanted to keep it a surprise until the event but I was too happy with how it turned out to keep it under wraps. Please laugh (not in parentheses this time).
ZipperZbieracz

Unread post by ZipperZbieracz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:01 am

The track reminds me of this
Alex

Unread post by Alex » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:52 am

http://revoltzone.net/cars/44535/Usain%20Bones
http://revoltzone.net/tracks/44534/Skeleton%20Rave
Halloween creations are out on RVZ

As far as my next project goes, the one I started the thread with is gonna be on ice for now as I kind of don´t care much for it at the moment. I got some neat ideas for Synthwave 2 so probably that, along with some minor projects here and there