Route-77

Post about the progress of your projects.
javildesign

Route-77

Unread post by javildesign » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:24 pm

Hello all!

As maybe some of you already have noticed that I was working on a new track for RVGL.
Firstly, a big thanks to Marv for the blender revolt plugin! It's amazing!

I began working on this in December 2018 and hope to finalize it soon.I want to share my progress with you.
[I don't know everything about RVGL and it's possibilities . Maybe I'm re-inventing the wheel in some cases, sorry!]

The track is an outside part of The Bunker. It's called ROUTE-77.

I began working on this track, just to experiment with all the ideas I had. Soon it went bigger and more elements came in.
Firstly I wanted shadows, so I tried different techniques to create a texture to build upon.

In a later stadium I wanted design real water. So I tried to create looping animated water without any visible seams.
That was kind of hard because the were always seams visible in RVGL. With a lot of puzzling I found a way to eliminate the seams. I can share an in-game example (.w) and a Photoshop Action script if someone wants play with that.

In-game screenshot. Start / Finish.

Example of 80% transparent looping river.

Another example.

You will drive on a motorway. You will drive through 2 tunnels and you can choose twice if you want to go to left or right.
I tried to balance the difficulty / distance of the splits. The track will be available in reverse and cones are moveable.

For now, I'm busy to get all the elements in and lower the polygon count.
Are there other track makers who like to test this track, or wants to work together to make this, but maybe other future tracks, even better? Just a question ;)

Track will be release on http://revoltxtg.co.uk/ as soon it's ready.

Cheers! Jan
Marv
Developer

Re: Route-77

Unread post by Marv » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:35 pm

Oh niiice! Glad to see you're working on a new project. Keep us updated, it looks super nice so far, especially the shading!
Black-Revolt001

Unread post by Black-Revolt001 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:36 pm

I can not wait for it to be finished
Alex

Unread post by Alex » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:34 pm

Looking absolutely fantastic, wish you all the best in this
javildesign

Unread post by javildesign » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:22 pm

I'm close to finish the track.
I adjusted the river and added transparency to the edges to remove the river edges and make things more realistic.

river edges transparent (50%)

I remodeled all the rocks in the river, which took over my whole weekend :(
The problem was that I scattered the rocks over the terrain before I make the river deeper, which has lowered all the faces.
So eventually all the rocks where floating weird and needed a new solution. Technically speaking I generated a new group of rocks on the tangent / normal position of the terrain and afterwards I needed to texture paint new shadows on the terrain. So that took a while.

Need to fix some vertex paint, like the shadow on this pillars

Further did I add some sounds from freesound.org and some existing content from revolt to the track.
To finalize the track I need to vertex paint some parts of the track to correct some faulty lighting. Check the environment for the 101th time.. 100% correct lighting is not what I'm going to achieve. Every time I fly over the track I see new errors I need to fix. If I could start all over again, I do it a bit differently ;)

Cheers,
Jan

Unread post by 607 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:43 pm

Finally you made a post! :D I got a bit excited when we saw the images and video you made, but I wasn't expecting to hear anything more about it any time soon, assuming it would unexpectedly drop on RVZ one day in the future. But thanks for making an account on the forum! :)
I'm looking forward to trying the track!
Oh, and I love this detail in the OP. :lol:
javildesign wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:24 pm The track will be available in reverse and cones are moveable.
I personally don't mind the cones in The Bunker, though. ;)
r6te

Unread post by r6te » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:11 am

Great work, I really like the aesthetic, hopefully you can add some higher quality textures here on the environment and there to make it look even better! I think the raceline is lots of fun, where people can shoot rockets or water balloons to send the others off the track.

Keep up the good work!
Kipy

Re-Volt Re: Route-77

Unread post by Kipy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:45 pm

Simply awesome. Can't wait to try it out.
javildesign

Unread post by javildesign » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:28 pm

607 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:43 pm Finally you made a post! :D I got a bit excited when we saw the images and video you made, but I wasn't expecting to hear anything more about it any time soon, assuming it would unexpectedly drop on RVZ one day in the future. But thanks for making an account on the forum!
Great thanks! I was active a while ago on the old forums.
r6te wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:11 am Great work, I really like the aesthetic, hopefully you can add some higher quality textures here on the environment and there to make it look even better! I think the raceline is lots of fun, where people can shoot rockets or water balloons to send the others off the track.
Thanks! Unfortunately the textures are 1024x1024 max. I made some mistakes that made some work irreversible. I learned a lot of these mistakes, so I hope that future track will benefit from that.
This week I tried to re-create the shadow map to a higher resolution but I failed due the scale of time it will cost. Starting all over would be the best, but that will throw away all the work I put in the project and I think that's not good..

I added some elements to make the environment more complete

I hope to release it soon. I think it will be September or October 2019.
javildesign

Unread post by javildesign » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:04 pm

I finished Route-77!

It was still a lot of work. I needed to check the whole .ncp, reverse and normal, again for errors. I had some vertex shadow issues in the tunnels and on the outside fences.
I did finish the whole shadow vertex paint before, but somehow all my work of that disappeared.

I also needed to fix getting stuck on some parts and resized some wooden planks for better driving flow. That action resulted in repainting the shadows ofcourse, so I keep busy adjusting and adjusting..

Now its finaly finished.
Check http://revoltxtg.co.uk/ to download it.
Alex

Unread post by Alex » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:40 am

WOW! This raceline is already one of my all time favourites. Really challenging with such a nice flow. Absolute masterclass
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:53 am

I was really looking forward to your new track, as The Bunker is one of my all-time-favorite tracks. Especially visually, but also raceline-wise I like everything about it. I was also pretty hyped when I saw some parts of The Bunker in Route-77. I love such references, and plan to do similar things in my new track. :)

The tunnel parts are graphically one of the best things I saw until now in Re-Volt. The lights and colors create such a cool atmosphere. I love all this grafitti, and the electric sparks glowing in the dark is my personal highlight since a long time. It feels like a "The Bunker 2.0" to me. I also like all the obstacles in the tunnels, and the amount of possible ways to drive around them.

However, I am not sure what I should think about the outside area. It feels like there are two complete different graphic styles in one track. The tunnels have a very realistic and spooky style, but the outside areas are more comic-like. Especially the trees, but also the landscape with nearly no textures on it. Don't understand me wrong - you did also an awesome job with the outside area. The shading is incredible. I also like the raceline quite a lot. It's so fun to kick the AI down the bridges with water balloons, using the different routes, or trying to catch the global star weapon. I only think, that this two completely different styles does not fit together very well.

But besides this, the track has extreme good quality. The modeling and shading is absolutely top, and clearly the work of a Pro. It's also very fun to drive, and there is always a lot of action. I definitely want to see it to be part of the I/O track pack soon, and I really looking forward to do online-races on it.
ZipperZbieracz

Unread post by ZipperZbieracz » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:20 am

A very good track, I really like the obstacles as well as the bent but quite smooth racing line.

What I don't like and what could be updated is the collision on all of the fences, signs and scaffolds, so that for example a higher car can't go under the scaffold because it's too high or when a car gets hit and flies, it can't fly through a fence or a sign or a scaffold.

As demostrated here with Cop-Ter, which goes through these:
► Show Spoiler
Also the texture on the outside mountains could be of slightly higher res and more diverse rather than plain green, white and green-white gradient, but it's not as important as the upper issue. Other than that, a very nice track to drive. Finding out the best paths and improvising on the spot is a thing that this track stands out in.
javildesign

Unread post by javildesign » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:00 pm

ZipperZbieracz:
so that for example a higher car can't go under the scaffold because it's too high or when a car gets hit and flies
Thanks for your reaction.
I thought about that. Multiple times. I did many test runs and races.. A lot.. Bigvolt getting trapped inside the metal rack or stuck under the wooden fence and ending up with weird glitches.
Also, I didn't know anyone would fly a helicopter on this track ;) All the poly that are not needed are removed, like where cars cannot go, or I removed poly's on places where it probably cause glitches. I could have made the fence a little higher, but then I needed to throw a lot of work away, like shadow baking.
ZipperZbieracz:
Also the texture on the outside mountains could be of slightly higher res and more diverse rather than plain green, white and green-white gradient, but it's not as important as the upper issue.
Yeah, I knew from the start, if I go do shadow baking, then I will end up with lower resolution map. It was experimental and the project got out of hand.
Kiwi:
I only think, that this two completely different styles does not fit together very well.
Thanks Kiwi for your review! Ehm I never have noticed this. But I can imagine. I've been busy with this track for 8 long months, and changed a ton of things during the whole process. I will take the advice with me ;)