An ongoing Clockwork Carnage project

Post your own tools and resources, as well as your cars and tracks.
ElectricBee

An ongoing Clockwork Carnage project

Unread post by ElectricBee » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:20 am

After a week's worth of tinkering, some screwing around to make it more noob-friendly and ambitious attempts at making it idiot-proof I present my repository of Re-Volt vehicles remade into Clockwork cars.

Vehicles added so far:
CarAuthor
Banana ShplitURV, Dave-O-Rama1
BigToyTotolens, CD090580
Dust Mite 3 WheelsDave-O-Rama
Fast Traxx2Hi-Ban
Fidget SpinnerURV, Citywalker3
RagPstr4
RotorAcclaim Entertainment
Sabre StormIron Bob
TrashcanSaffron, Marv
Waver5Allan1
Notes
1: Banana Shplit contributor
2: Copyright Tyco International
3: Fidget Spinner contributor, top concept used as base
4: Used without permission. (Sorry ain't nobody got time for that!)
5: Copyright Toei Animation
Each of these vehicles (with exception to Rotor) will prompt for a download from Re-Volt Zone if you don't have it already and initial use will prompt for link behaviour, after which future use of these scripts won't prompt this request.

It'll also check for revolt.exe and rvgl.exe in wherever gamepath.bat has configured. If this doesn't exist you will be prompted and provided an opportunity to edit this batch file for your needs. Since I cannot seem to exclude it via gitignore don't push update to this file; they will be immediately rejected unless it's a way to always find these binaries without user configuration.

This all uses file links, so folks using ExFAT for Windows are out of luck. Sorry. Keeps media space used down and more importantly, doesn't require copying stuff over. Fast and easy for people who are on slower media with an NTFS5 partition.

This also requires you are using Windows Vista or greater, which I am sure most of you are on. I'll be adding other vehicles by request, but you can look through the readme and configuration scripts to figure out how to roll your own. Don't forget to make it good.

Also, install GitHub for desktop and use that to clone; it'll make updating and contributing to this repository hella easy if you aren't already settled with another solution on Windows to handle Git repositories.

Check it out here.
Last edited by ElectricBee on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I do, not for God or country, because dead men profess no faith, neither do they have a home.
Previously-active member of Re-Volt Live. Contributor of silly things. Smart enough to be dangerous.
ElectricBee

Re: An ongoing Clockwork Carnage project

Unread post by ElectricBee » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:24 pm

Added gPstr's Ra, Hi-Ban's remake of Tyco's Fast Traxx and URV's fidget spinner remake of Citywalker's spinning top concept.

Also: Appended onto readme.

And the OP here.
I do, not for God or country, because dead men profess no faith, neither do they have a home.
Previously-active member of Re-Volt Live. Contributor of silly things. Smart enough to be dangerous.
ElectricBee

Re: An ongoing Clockwork Carnage project

Unread post by ElectricBee » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:29 am

I need help with optional shadow files. If you'd like, and if you are as sadomasochistic as I am, I'd like manual BMQ files as well.

Here's all you need to know about the upcoming update for these scripts:
If you want to append with a shadow in the future, the option to use a shadow will be made available per batch script, but only if it exists. In each script it will be represented as:

Code: Select all

IF EXIST %des_cc%\%car_cc%\%shd_cc% MKLINK /H %des_cc%\wincar4\%shd_cc% %des_cc%\%car_cc%\%shd_cc%
With %shd_cc% being shadow.bmp.

For cars that usually came without a BMQ file, I didn't want to enforce use of these so to keep it optional, since every file with a name which begins with a dot is excluded (except for .gitignore) these files may be provided in the future as BMQ files with filenames which begin with a dot (i.e.: .car.bmq) so they do not clutter my master repository, for people who do not want them.

For this to be possible, this will also be included in each script:

Code: Select all

IF EXIST %src_cc%\.%txq_cc% %mln% %des_cc%\wincar4\%txq_cc% %src_cc%\.%txq_cc%
The logic of this being, image files are already there, and they're to go with the replacement images, but shadows can reside in the cars they are suppose to be for, so users in the future can append these files in their paremetres for cars they already have, and also have good shadows for their replacement clockwork cars.

tl;dr I want tor keep enhancement options for cars I am hosting opened, but not host them in the same branch as my content for people who don't want. Batch scripts and parametres in the future will reflect these options but not provide them in the master branch.

May as well take this post as a time to explain what actually goes into this:
It isn't just changing param files so they can be used as clockwork cars by placing another car's parametres in wincar4 with other small changes. That's way too easy, and anybody can do that by hand. I also go through the effort of considering what looks good for Clockwork Carnage, creating replacement monotonal images of textures so when the game's built-in shading for Clockwork Carnage kicks in, whatever replacement doesn't entirely look like butt.

It's been working so far and I am pleased with the results. Not so pleased with how complicated it had been to make it noob-friendly but it's worth the effort if at least one other person gets to enjoy manipulating this game mode like I had.