Re-Volt N64 Soundtrack MIDIs - Ripped and Re-rendered in HQ

Post your own tools and resources, as well as your cars and tracks.
Kirbyguy

Re-Volt N64 Soundtrack MIDIs - Ripped and Re-rendered in HQ

Unread post by Kirbyguy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 am

I couldn't find the N64 soundtrack anywhere in high quality, so I wondered if it was possible to rip the raw MIDIs somehow. It turns out that it is very possible.

Using N64 Midi Tools, I was able to extract the original MIDIs and soundfont from the N64 ROM. The memory addresses for the sound samples were already found, but not the actual MIDI files. I found the memory offset for the MIDIs myself using a hex editor and simply inputted them into the tool's game config .ini, and... voila. Raw MIDI files! In order for them to play properly, you need to load the included soundfont .dls into your player of choice (Winamp supports .dls loading). Note that songs that utilize tremolos or bends will have missing notes, since they're not currently supported by N64 Midi Tools. Frontend and maybe some others are missing some parts because of that, so let's hope that the tools get updated to support them.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1A8Lwo ... _q7r_44kmo

If you don't want to go through the effort of playing the raw MIDI files, I've rendered them using SynthFont to WAV in high quality. If you ignore the missing chunks in some songs, this is probably the highest quality version of the N64 OST you can find on the internet.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ouN1F ... U9qZs9sw0v
(the names are purely speculation and based on the track names from DC OST on IO)
VaidX47
Administrator

Re: Re-Volt N64 Soundtrack MIDIs - Ripped and Re-rendered in HQ

Unread post by VaidX47 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:26 pm

Ah yes, I did the same way, but because the tool doesn't rip certain instruments (it's very apparent in the frontend song), I never posted in the forum, only in the Discord server. It would still be better off ripping the music from an emulator for accuracy.

tl;dr MIDI files are fairly accurate, but converted samples/soundfont (DLS) isn't.

Still cool to have them here now.
aka Vaid; >[MediaFire Stuff]<
Kirbyguy

Unread post by Kirbyguy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:44 am

VaidX47 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:26 pm Ah yes, I did the same way, but because the tool doesn't rip certain instruments (it's very apparent in the frontend song), I never posted in the forum, only in the Discord server. It would still be better off ripping the music from an emulator for accuracy.

tl;dr MIDI files are fairly accurate, but converted samples/soundfont (DLS) isn't.

Still cool to have them here now.
I've done some more digging on this, and the sample for the break that was missing from the frontend song is present in the soundbank, and the notes are actually in the MIDI file as well, but for whatever reason, it doesn't play.

Changing the output channel of the missing track seems to have fixed it, have a listen here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dYgSqm ... sp=sharing

Another interesting thing that I found out is that the frontend song is completely missing a closed hat track when played on a real N64 or an emulator. I removed the closed hat track in this link, and it sounds exactly like the original now:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x86gAO ... sp=sharing

Maybe it's because of a hardware limitation?
VaidX47
Administrator

Unread post by VaidX47 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:30 pm

Interesting, if my memory serves right, the second one sounds how it should be. Do the same justice for the rest of the tracks and it can be released as a proper package. Would be cool if there's some way to convert .dls to a compatible .sf2 format, so RVGL could play them natively (It has experimental MIDI playback support with sf2 soundfonts).

The missing hat track in-game could be a hardware limitation or oversight in the audio playback code (more likely latter, considering how rushed the game was). At first I thought it was an error or inaccuracy from the tool during the conversion, but likely not.
aka Vaid; >[MediaFire Stuff]<