Music customisation

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
URV
Administrator

Music customisation

Unread post by URV » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:06 am

I consider music to be one of the most important factors in terms of track making and the racing experience. A well-chosen song or set of songs with the right timing and fluid loops or transitions can enhance gameplay as a whole—it is, after all, how I came to love various tracks simply by adding appropriate custom music into the mix. With this in mind, there are a few sorely needed optional features that I (and, hopefully, a few other people) would like to request in order to make the customization of music easier and more extensive:
  • Including multiple songs per track. The stock tracks use REDBOOK, which chooses randomly from a set of 3 or 6 songs. I think it would be really nice to be able to use the same formula with custom music, without replacing the default music.
  • Adding an intro for each song. Designating a separate audio file as the intro of a song would ensure that the main song can loop or transition smoothly, without playing the intro again (which is often slower-paced). This would also be useful for players who wish to use the DC versions of default music.
  • Adding an outro for each song. Working similarly to the feature above, this would ensure that, instead of looping or transitioning at the end of the main song, the music would eventually stop playing after the player crosses the finish line.
  • Music that does not begin until after the race starts. This is a less important and oddly specific request, as it concerns a project that aims to convert Lego Racers tracks to Re-Volt while remaining as faithful as possible to the original experience. An example can be seen here. The ability to implement the sounds heard before the music (along with the "victory fanfare" after crossing the finish line) would be useful as well, but also less important.
These are all low priority, and I also listed them in (what I think is) the order of importance. However, I would really like to see these features sooner or later, both as a player and as a track maker. Additionally, they would be extremely useful for the optional extra music pack used in the I/O races.

I might update this thread in the future in case I remember or think of similar features.
shara--

Re: Music customisation

Unread post by shara-- » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:18 pm

wont a seperate music file for outros make them transition abrubtly?

like, when a player crosses the finish line, then the outro music file starts playing and abrubtly cuts whatever the race music is on whatever part it is currently in.

i personally think the music should still play after crossing finish line in online play, as it would be boring to wait everyone to finish with a silent atmosphere (arguably, people might be already bored of the stock musics, but musics work in human senses passively and people might not notice the fun/emotional boost they have when music is on).
URV
Administrator

Unread post by URV » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:01 pm

I realize I may have not described it well enough, but yes, I would have the main song keep playing until the end, after which it would switch to the outro. That said, I think you make a good point there. It would be a bit inconsistent and, honestly, quite unnecessary. I can't say I particularly care about having an outro nearly as much as I'd like intros and multiple songs.
Vogelrok

Unread post by Vogelrok » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Interesting topic.

Custom music is something I'd really like!
L!LMexican

Unread post by L!LMexican » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:04 pm

I agree with this as many games that I like, mainly from the N64 era implement the music plays when the race starts which is good. You can get effects like say for San Fransisco rush 2049, you hear cars revving before the race starts and then the music plays. Or even Stunt racer 64, you can hear the surrounding sounds as the countdown progresses, then when the race starts music plays. With the other features it would be a great addition as well.
I'm Gonna Pass You.

Taro