Pickup weight changes

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
ciccio

Re-Volt Pickup weight changes

Unread post by ciccio » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:23 pm

As of now, the item generation is somehow position based. Specifically, 1st place has a higher chance of getting some specific items (single firework, zap, oil) and last place has a higher chance of getting some other specific items (shockwave, ball, battery). The rest of the group have the same chance of getting the same item. This leads to some balancing issues in multiplayer races, so I have 2 ideas:

1. Re-balance the whole system in a mario kart style, where the you get items based on the position you are the moment you touch the pickup (high chance of battery in last, lower chance of battery in first, ect... ect...).
Pro: This would lead to a more strategic item play and would allow for team races to be played a bit more consistently, also would allow for better "item smuggling" (stay in lower position when getting a pick to get a battery).
Con: The game would reward people staying low until last lap ready to use their batteries and globals if any (yes, this is situational, but the general case would be as described).

2. Make everything random, so that everybody gets the same chance for every item.
Pro: This would be the most fair solution for everyone. Also, it's the solution that requires the least amount of work, and probably the solution that many would like (or thought it was since the beginning).
Con: There would be no "item smuggling", effectively removing part of the strategy.

There could also be a third option, where we make both the first and the second option available via in game option (or inf file modification, like the AI catchup thing). The community is pretty much split on this I believe, and this would be the best option (the hardest one as well) that would make everyone happy.
Huki
Developer

Re: Pickup weight changes

Unread post by Huki » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:59 pm

ciccio wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:23 pm As of now, the item generation is somehow position based. Specifically, 1st place has a higher chance of getting some specific items (single firework, zap, oil) and last place has a higher chance of getting some other specific items (shockwave, ball, battery). The rest of the group have the same chance of getting the same item.
In fact the current system already works in mario kart style (i.e., your option 1). The pickup weightage varies for each player position, not just the first and last. These weights are computed at runtime based on a few hardcoded parameters. And yes, items are decided based on the player position at the moment of touching the pickup.
shara--

Re: Pickup weight changes

Unread post by shara-- » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:36 pm

while the item generation is mario kart based, in mario kart, you get weaker items if you're in the front.
in RVGL, you have higher chances of getting one of the most devastating items in the first place (electro zap), which is not mario kart would have.

while it rewards people who fights for first place and have more chances of keeping their first place, people could get a pickup just after the race starts with the one in the front of the grid having higher chances of getting a pickup first, thus chances of getting zap. since the start is usually packed and chaotic, the one who got a zap can use it to zap everyone and pull away.

while this is fine at first, it is unfair when someone is in the front of the starting grid (that is randomized) have higher chance of getting zap. though, it can be argued that everyone have the same random chance of being in the front grid at the start.

if we're going to change anything, i would go for option 2, which is make everyone have the same chance of getting every pickup.
in my views at least, the pickup game is chaotic and i would like it to stay that way.