[Closed] Include ncp and w fixes in stock tracks

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
ciccio

[Closed] Include ncp and w fixes in stock tracks

Unread post by ciccio » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:14 pm

So far we got many improvements with rvgl, like carnival cars are not CHT anymore, we got a fixed countdown 3 model, redbook, ecc... ecc...
But if there is a thing that I hate of the current versions is that the stock tracks still have many problems lke texturing (sm1 for example) and especially collision bugs. The worst thing is that many things were fixed in some milkfix pack (I know it's a dead but stuff was fixed anyway). So the request is: can you include the fixes from the milkfix in the current updates like you did for countdown model 3? Also, I don't know if the milkfix includes the ncp fixes for TW1, nhood2 and rooftops, but if it doesn't we got some of our own on ARM.
Marv
Developer

Re: Include ncp and w fixes in stock tracks

Unread post by Marv » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:21 pm

Several problems come to mind:

RVGL is a patch that focuses on the core of the game, not its content.

If we were to include fixes for stock tracks and cars, we'd have all game assets in RVGL at some point. This means we would distribute the whole game as RVGL as opposed to only a patch.

It's best to keep RVGL away from as many legal grey areas as possible.

Some NCP fixes might change time trial times which some people might dislike. This could split apart certain groups even more since some will prefer to stick to the original assets as they were found on the disc and some will stick to the assets distributed on RV I/O.

Carrying over from the previous point: The recently introduced anti-cheat measures would prevent those two groups from playing online together.

However, there are some scenarios in which this could work:

I might consider including graphical fixes in the game assets offered on this website. Anything that would trigger the cheat detection can't be included.
Downside: Graphical fixes only

We could offer different versions of the game assets (fixed and original).
Downside: Splitting apart the players due to cheat detection.
ciccio

Unread post by ciccio » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:10 pm

There are 3 critical issues with 3 ncps: toyworld 1 before the final jump (invisible edge); nhood2 on the wooden plank before the last turn (invisible edge); roof on the ramp after the star (invisible edge). My idea was that you could fix those problems or distribute a fixed version, like you did with the countdown 3 model and some other big visual issue (sm1 for example). Maybe they will have an impact on time trials, but only for the good, meaning that anyone will still be able to improve their own time (it's not like slowing down a section so that old times are not achievable anymore). Also, if the fixes get included in the patch there will not be any problem with people running different versions of the tracks (just like there are no issues with mystery, ufo, ect... ect...)
Kipy

Unread post by Kipy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:17 pm

I don't know, that these are really worth to fix. Toy2 walls and nhood2 bridge wasn't fixed either, and those were reported almost or more than 4 years ago.
Marv
Developer

Unread post by Marv » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:10 am

We created project espressofix to collect fixes of that kind. We might be able to merge it with the game in the future. I'll close this for now.