Redbook variations

Post suggestions regarding RVGL.
URV
Site Admin
Discord: URV#9830

Redbook variations

Unread post by URV » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:07 pm

I posted two topics related to music in the past, one about expanding customisation options and the other about its multiplayer behaviour. This topic is more or less a direct copy of the first suggestion from the music customisation topic, but I wanted to bring more attention to it since I think it's more important than the rest.

The situation is as such: I am interested in using the recently released, community-made soundtrack in my main Re-Volt installation. Hearing the old music over and over again has gotten a bit repetitive, and the new soundtrack provides a fresh experience while still maintaining that Re-Volt feel. However, despite that, I still wish to keep hearing the original soundtrack whenever I race any of the stock tracks.

But why? I am really excited about the direction RVGL is heading, with the full usage of community-made assets, but I don't want to get rid of the nostalgic parts of the game either, which were the reason why I ended up in this lovely community in the first place. I want to hear community-made music in community-made tracks—but it's also important to me to still have that occasional glimpse of the old soundtrack. I suspect many people feel similarly and would actually make use of the new soundtrack much more if that was a possibility.

Here's the short version:
  • Use the community-made soundtrack as the default redbook
  • Bring the possibility to use the original redbook exclusively for the stock tracks
The one way I thought of handling this would be to keep the default soundtrack in redbook/ and the original soundtrack in something like redbook/original/. Adding a line such as REDBOOKVER original in the .inf files for stock tracks could be a way to let the game know which subfolder to use. If this also makes it possible to have multiple custom redbook subfolders, all the better, as it would be to the benefit of the I/O music pack, specific custom tracks, personalised Re-Volt installations and much more.

If this is difficult to implement (and would take a while before we could see it), or not something you would want to implement, please let me know. As a fallback, I will instead keep using the original soundtrack in the redbook folder and assign music from the new soundtrack to all custom I/O tracks.

As an alternative solution, make it possible to use REDBOOK values higher than 13.
Kiwi

Re: Redbook variations

Unread post by Kiwi » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:20 pm

+1 from me, because I have the exact same "problem". I really like the new soundtrack, but for nostalgic reasons I want to keep the original soundtrack as a standard for stock-tracks on my installation.
Marv
Site Admin

Re: Redbook variations

Unread post by Marv » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:10 am

I like the idea. I'd perhaps introduce lists of music files rather than more redbook tracks which already is a legacy / backwards compatibility feature.