Car based custom sounds

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
L!LMexican

Car based custom sounds

Unread post by L!LMexican » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:00 pm

Hello all. So I thought about it and seeing that we have custom engine sounds was really nice and has really upped the creativity aspect to car building. I was thinking about wanting to extend that for cars in general, so every car could have a custom scrape, skid_normal and skid_rough, Hit1 and hit2, and any other sounds that would fit more towards cars.
I'm Gonna Pass You.

Taro
kiwi

Re: Car based custom sounds

Unread post by kiwi » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:38 pm

I am not a big fan of this idea. The possibility to give cars a custom engine sound was one of the worst decisions in RVGL development, in my opinion. This takes away a lot of the overall flair that Re-Volt have since 1999.

However, I would be OK with the existence of custom engine sounds, as long cars in the I/O pack won't use them.

/kick Acclaim F1
URV
Administrator

Unread post by URV » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:34 pm

I am supportive of this idea, especially for the possibility of custom honk sounds, but also agree with Kiwi's point about using them in the I/O pack. I assure you that I will avoid that, and will also alter Acclaim F1 to use the default sound again.

As a side note, I strongly disagree with it being one of the worst decisions, as we've had quite a lot of fun with it since it was implemented, especially in All's Fair 5. Although I always endorse stock-like content, not all custom content should have to follow that style. Additionally, it turned out to be extremely useful for the Clockworks pack and Mladen's real cars pack. It will also come in handy whenever I end up releasing a pack out of real R/C cars, as I plan on using more realistic R/C engine sounds for them.
L!LMexican

Unread post by L!LMexican » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:35 pm

Yeah, i can see what Kiwi is saying, but speaking truthfully, RVGL is pretty different from Acclaim's take on Re-Volt. I just feel that there would be more opportunity to customize and give more freedom to the serious and jokester drivers in re-volt. It gives a sense of personality.
I'm Gonna Pass You.

Taro
Instant

Unread post by Instant » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:56 pm

So what if a track uses custom scrape/skid sounds? Then the car would completely disregard it or what?

I'm also supportive of this idea, and any idea about further customizing content that normally can't be customized.
L!LMexican

Unread post by L!LMexican » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:46 pm

I don't know how re-volt would handle that, i would say everything but engine sound. Unless there is some sort of "override"
I'm Gonna Pass You.

Taro
Marv
Developer

Unread post by Marv » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:08 am

I think honk sounds could be done. Skid and hit sounds should be (and already partially are) material-dependent.
Mace121

Unread post by Mace121 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:44 am

Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:38 pm I am not a big fan of this idea. The possibility to give cars a custom engine sound was one of the worst decisions in RVGL development, in my opinion.
Yeah, but it's a better solution than having level-specific engine sounds. Besides, I like cars having their own engine sounds, so I could put some stupid .wav on my car to sound stupider as the pitch gets higher. What the next update needs is similar to random cars, but you're able to choose that car for everyone to race with. Hate the RNG on trying to restart for racing with a particular car.
MAD
MIX
of MANY