[Done] Graphic setting to disable spark effects?

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
kiwi

[Done] Graphic setting to disable spark effects?

Unread post by kiwi » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:51 pm

A lot of things can be turned off in the graphics menu, but not the effects produced by spark generators (for example steam, smoke, fire).

Such a setting would be nice for players with not so good hardware, because this effects are real fps-killers.

This way, track makers could implement this effects without taking care of the potato-users all the time.
Instant

Re: Graphic setting to disable spark effects?

Unread post by Instant » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:46 am

+1
The only downside of the idea is that toggling it between tracks is not really an option so those with bad hardware would have to keep the effects turned off for most of the time, though they might not struggle on stock and modest tracks.
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:14 pm

Another thing that came to my mind and would be an issue: Sparks can also have collisions enabled in the properties.txt. If this would be the case, deactivating the spark effects would also have influence to the racing conditions of the single racers.

However, a solution would be, that only sparks with deactivated (object-) collision flag would be disabled.
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:55 am

The "Particles" option in Render Settings lets you configure the amount of dust particles that should be generated (eg, by wheel-ground contact). I've extended this option to cover spark generators too. As a side note, there was a bug that resulted in huge bbox for spark generators, effectively rendering visibox tests useless. I've fixed it, so spark generators should now be properly hidden by visiboxes.
Kiwi wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:14 pm Another thing that came to my mind and would be an issue: Sparks can also have collisions enabled in the properties.txt. If this would be the case, deactivating the spark effects would also have influence to the racing conditions of the single racers.
It's not an issue, because spark collision flags only affect the spark itself and not the car and surroundings - it's strictly for visual appearance.