[Done] Persistent sound while driving on custom materials

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
URV
Administrator

[Done] Persistent sound while driving on custom materials

Unread post by URV » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:27 pm

Currently, it is possible to assign sounds to custom materials, but they can only be enabled by sliding or scraping against the surface. The option to always hear a sound while simply driving on the surface would be extremely useful for properly replicating surfaces such as gravel or pebbles.
kiwi

Re: Persistent sound while driving on custom materials

Unread post by kiwi » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:34 am

Yes, I fully support this suggestion. On the new Ranch-track, the custom sound when sliding on wood is a little bit strange, it would make more sense, if this would be persistent instead.

I also have this issues on my custom surfaces for Spa-Volt - especially at the wet surface at the outdoor area.
Instant

Unread post by Instant » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:04 am

+1
Everything has already been said.
Marv
Developer

Unread post by Marv » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:10 am

Yes! I've been wanting to do this for a while.
About how I'd implement this: A new MATERIAL entry in properties called SurfSound and a number for which wave you want to use. You can then put a custom sound in the custom folder and use its respective number.
E.g. siren_loop.wav would be 100. The list is available at https://docs.re-volt.io
URV
Administrator

Unread post by URV » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:52 am

Bumping this because it would be extremely useful for the Marbula 1 project (can be found in the Re-Volt Workshop). Ideally, the marbles should all sound differently while rolling on different surfaces. If we give the marbles a custom engine, they'll sound the same everywhere, and will also generate a sound while mid-air. The alternative is to make the marbles themselves silent, and have the track surfaces generate the rolling sound⁠—but the problem is that it can only be applied to the skid sound, which is only heard when turning.

Implementing this feature would allow the marbles to have the correct sound on each surface while also being silent mid-air.
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:05 am

Thanks for bumping this. Having such a feature would also be nice to have for my Marvle project.
Saffron

Unread post by Saffron » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:05 pm

I would like to be able to implement this retroactively on my circuit tracks that have kerbs.