RVGL Launcher

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
m15t3r_gr1mm

Re-Volt RVGL Launcher

Unread post by m15t3r_gr1mm » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi all, just wanted to post this suggestion as I think it is very worthwhile and might also solve some other complaints that have been popping up in the Discord (about having to remind ppl to get the latest content before a race). I think code should be added to the main rvgl binary that automatically does a quick check for updates before starting up and offers to download/install in place for you. This could be easily accomplished by looking at the contents of https://distribute.re-volt.io/releases/rvgl_version.txt, or better yet posting an rvgl.exe checksum file to https://distribute.re-volt.io/releases and comparing it to the local rvgl.exe binary. Some people gave initial feedback to me on this idea saying:

"regarding auto updates within main game binaries, if there's some &%$#* around internet connection or servers, you'll get interrupts, meaning even longer boot times. nobody wants longer boot times, that's why with external config/launcher (which was mentioned by huki once; meaning planned), would work much better"

I think this argument is moot however, since there are a myriad of options to address this concern. If people have issues with wait times (which arguably would only be in the milliseconds-seconds range), the check could simply have a short timeout (for example: if no ping from https://distribute.re-volt.io, bail out and move on) or the update option could even be bypassed entirely with a flag (like -nosplash). Having more configs/launchers/etc only adds more barriers to entry for this game. This type of behavior is standard for any normal program that is maintained as regularly as rvgl, so I think that having it is paramount.

Thank you,

- Gr1mmy
Last edited by m15t3r_gr1mm on Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Горячий Павел

Re: Automatic updates for the main rvgl binary

Unread post by Горячий Павел » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:55 am

A good idea. In my subjective opinion, this will facilitate the update procedure for an ordinary user, however, as I expect, there will be some nuances with the implementation of this function.
Горячий Павел, or Goryachiy Pavel, can just Pavel.
URV
Administrator

Unread post by URV » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:39 am

In case this won't be implemented directly into RVGL, note that the upcoming RVGL Launcher will take care of updates, both for RVGL itself and for content packs (where possible).
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:05 pm

Will the launcher also be available for Android?
URV
Administrator

Unread post by URV » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:10 pm

That might be unlikely for a while, but on Android you also have RVGL Butler.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:45 pm

Thanks for your hint - looks great! I will check if both "butlers" (Windows/Linux and Android) lead to similar results to play a multiplayer race on different platforms (Windows/Linux vs. Android) with the same assets.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:36 pm

Is it possible to have the Helloween and Christmas special assets availabble for download & use as well?
(here in context of "RVGL Launcher")
m15t3r_gr1mm

Unread post by m15t3r_gr1mm » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:59 pm

Didn't realize a formal launcher was already in development (thought it was just a concept). I actually ended up creating my own rvgl updater for windows - so I'll be using that until the official one gets released.
Last edited by m15t3r_gr1mm on Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:45 pm

Hello!

The author Tavisco informed on GitHub that his project RVGL-Assistant_Android, also known as RVGL Butler (for Android) is no longer maintained. Feel free to fork it if desired.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:49 pm

m15t3r_gr1mm wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:59 pm Didn't realize a formal launcher was already in development (thought it was just a concept). I actually ended up creating my own rvgl launcher for windows - so I'll be using that until the official one gets released.
Under which license do you share your Windows RVGL launcher? Would you mind placing it on GitHub, GitLab or elsewhere?
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:51 pm

URV wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:39 am In case this won't be implemented directly into RVGL, note that the upcoming RVGL Launcher will take care of updates, both for RVGL itself and for content packs (where possible).
Oh, it is already availalbe, I see, and it works very nicely. :)
https://gitlab.com/re-volt/rvgl-launcher
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:59 am

@Huki and others
Is there a way to add custom stuff from http://revoltzone.net to the launcher?

I looked into the already included repository json files but would not know how to proceed. Would I have to first create a custom repository (on my local PC) with a valid json structure and there embed the information from revoltzone.net? Or how could it work?

The RVGL launcher shows under the "Packs" tab as last item a pack called "local" ("Locally available content" - Installed). Is this maybe a way to get extra custom stuff from revoltzone.net added?`But how exactly? Thanks for your help.

PS:
I assume that currently, we simply put custom stuff there for use with the RVGL launcher, right? (Windows 10 path)
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\rvmm\packs\local\

There is no way to dynamically create a revoltzone.net repository, or is there?
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:35 am

By the way, maybe it's worth renaming this thread to e.g. "RVGL launcher"? ;)
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:58 am

Some further idea for RVGL Launcher (which I also placed as a new "Issue" on GitLab). Please accept my apologies of that is not the right place. Should it be rather proposed on Discord, Discourse, or similar? Anyway, here my idea:

Can RVGL Launcher help to remove selected local items? Let's assume that one placed 5 different tracks manually (e.g. from revoltzone) to the local folder and later decides to remove one of them. Currently, I would go to the local folder and try to catch the correct files that belong to this one track. As there is some possibility that one deletes wrong files (and thus destroys tracks to be kept), maybe RVGL Launcher could help with a new feature? I.e. add a tab for (custom/local) tracks (maybe later also for cars if that is not too complicated), so the user can individually delete some. Maybe this could even be used for tracks (or cars) from packs? Or instead of physically deleting them, maybe they could be (alternatively to deleting) somehow hidden from RVGL by RVGL Launcher (by e.g. moving them to a "hidden" folder)? The same could maybe done also for cars (besides tracks) and/or only certain car categories (e.g. Rookie only) could be shown? If this is all not feasible or not worth the effort, never mind. ;)

PS: I am not sure whether this could also be handled directly in RVGL but (to me as non-developer) it appears easier in RVGL Launcher. Is it?
m15t3r_gr1mm

Unread post by m15t3r_gr1mm » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:36 pm

7wells wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:35 am By the way, maybe it's worth renaming this thread to e.g. "RVGL launcher"? ;)
That's a good idea, I didn't expect my thread to derail like this :cat3:
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:08 pm

@m15t3r_gr1mm
If you did not mean this as a joke, you can rename it yourself as the author of the first post, I guess. :)
And I really hope that you are not annoyed that your thread has become "hijacked" a bit. ;)
m15t3r_gr1mm

Unread post by m15t3r_gr1mm » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:18 pm

I don't mind at all! I was looking for a way to change the title but couldn't find it :/
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:29 pm

Glad to hear it! :) Hm, I thought you can go to your first post, click on edit, would then be able to click into the first post's title, called "Subject" (which is also the title for the whole thread) and change it. Have you tried that?
m15t3r_gr1mm

Re: RVGL Launcher

Unread post by m15t3r_gr1mm » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:03 pm

Got it, thank you!
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:05 pm

:thumbsup:
vonunwerth

Unread post by vonunwerth » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:23 am

I implemented a "local" tab for the launcher, where you can manage your local content. I will make a pull request soon. You could check out the current branch in the fork here :re-volt:
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:01 am

Does anyone of you know if there is a currently maintained RVGL butler/launcher for Android?
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:39 pm

If you want to keep game assets (e.g. cars, skins, tracks, loading screens, music) between Windows/Linux and Android in sync, please consider using the RVGL Launcher for Windows/Linux and consider that downloaded package zip files are cached in the game's downloads folder. I.e. go to the Launcher's menu File => Open Data Folder and then open the downloads folder. Select the zip files you want on your Android device and unpack them there in the correct subfolders of the RVGL folder, which can be in any of these locations (please check on your Android device, which one it is):

Code: Select all

/sdcard/RVGL
/storage/sdcard0/RVGL
/storage/sdcard1/RVGL
/storage/emulated/legacy/RVGL
/storage/emulated/0/RVGL
/storage/emulated/1/RVGL
/storage/extSdCard/RVGL
Thanks to @Huki and @vonunwerth for the hints. :)

EDIT:
Keep in mind that rvgl_assets content must overwrite game_files content (game_files is older, rvgl_xyz is newer). As for the other packs, they can be extracted in any order.
Keamon

Unread post by Keamon » Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:34 am

I'm not entirely sure how it works. Do I have to install the packs and then it adds them to RVGL? Or does it download them itself then adds them to RVGL? I'm trying to get it to do the latter, but it isn't installing anything.
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:22 pm

Keamon wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:34 am I'm not entirely sure how it works. Do I have to install the packs and then it adds them to RVGL? Or does it download them itself then adds them to RVGL? I'm trying to get it to do the latter, but it isn't installing anything.
If you're using a custom install location, make sure the folder has the correct permissions. Do not install to Program Files for example. If you're a first time user, you might find this guide useful.