Hi; much praise; Ironman mode and couple more suggestions

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
Ato

Hi; much praise; Ironman mode and couple more suggestions

Unread post by Ato » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:04 pm

Hi. I’m new here, but I appreciate the awesome work the devs have put into the engine and the community has put into the content. This is easily the most varied racing game I have seen, in terms of what to drive and where.
But I also have a couple of suggestions.
First, I like my races challenging, so I want to take it up a notch and actually disable flipping and key-triggered (not track-triggered) repositioning, for the player and the AI equally. An ironman style, if you wish. Can this be done somehow? I understand the game is actively developed, maybe include a mode? (shouldn’t be to hard to just disable a few procedural calls if the ini file includes the Ironman keyword or smth. Yes, I have a sort-of programming background.)
And second, the game’s replay cameras (TV cameras, I believe they are called, although I would rather call them drone cameras) have a serious lack of limit check. When they get too close to the 0 point (close to car or close to vertical), they should have a collision check with the car to stop it going inside the car, or may be even stay like the car’s width away (bcause different cars have different sizes), and a vertical angle check to stop it at 0 angle point (apex point). If these two limits can be introduced, we would have a functional drone camera for replays (try viewing a replay with the key sequence F5+F6+F6 and then holding W and E: looks awesame in an open-air track when the car speeds away from the drone :D ).
And while I’m at it: can the devs implement an option to disable the hot-start? I mean, the cars fly away at instant speed if the throttle was pressed during the start countdown. No, not realistic, not a fan.
Oh, and thanks for the “Next Track” option. Now it just needs a “Next Car” option to complement it.
So, devs, whacha think?

tl;dr: Awesome game, madly versatile, praising the devs sky-high, but could have ironman mode and needs drone camera fixes. And make the full-speed take-off at start optional, please?

Re: Hi; much praise; Ironman mode and couple more suggestions

Unread post by 607 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:19 pm

Welcome!

The idea of disabling flips and repos for CPU's (and players) sounds interesting. I don't recall hearing it before. When playing with pick-ups, you can easily get flipped upside down without being able to do much about it, but I assume you have them off.
The start boost is already optional, right? The CPU's don't use it, and you also don't have to. :P But I suppose you mean you want to be able to turn it off for multiplayer races?
Hm, the idea for a Next Car option would be interesting. This would make it possible to play against cars in a rating above the rating of the car you're using in single player mode, outside of championship mode. I guess that could be cool... yes, I guess it could! For challenge runs, mostly.
hajducsekb

Unread post by hajducsekb » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:20 pm

Hey!
I know it's not exactly what you've asked for, but I've created a "no repo" trackpack, where I took already existing tracks, and removed the repositions. The challenge is mostly not falling down, however, unfortunately the AI doesn't work. If you're interested anyway, here's a link to the forum post: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1162
Regarding the hot-start/boost start: I think it's a core element of the game at this point, and requires another kind of skill. People will probably be against changing that (including me). It might not be realistic, but it's a nice addition in my view, and it's purely about precision. ;)
HAJDUC DOT COM
Ato

Unread post by Ato » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:06 am

Thanks for replying.
Is the start boost really optional? How? RVGL cchangelog doesn’t show this.
Also, I’m not saying kill the core element, I’m saying make it optional. Everyone is different.
Do they really have start boost off? I’m confused because their driven wheels still rotate in place during countdown. And in my tests, player and CPU take off equally if holding accel down. But also, some take off equally when not holding it down... I’m confused.
And yea, I have pickups off.
And, well, thanks for the track pac offer but AI is the point why I want the Ironman option (both repos and flipping). I can restrain myself quite well :) but the AI doesnt.
Btw, it would also be nice if the cars turned their wheels in frontend like they do after race finish. Just for effect.
Greets, Ato
ZipperZbieracz

Unread post by ZipperZbieracz » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:29 am

Flipping or resetting a car after it falls off the track or falls on it's roof is a standard procedure in RC Car racing, and it is therefore a standard feature in Re-Volt as well. As for the start boost, it is a feature that is to stay.

TV cameras are set up on each track separately in the track creation process, if they show up a wall that's a problem that the creator of the track hasn't set up the cameras properly.
Ato

Unread post by Ato » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:33 am

ZipperZbieracz, one livery per car was also Re-Volt standard feature once. Now it’s changed because people like variety. The more variety, the more people who like the game.
Same for start boost – you don’t know what devs will decide to include or not. AI rubberbanding is optional now.
One TV camera is user-movable in replay, with F6 and WASD+QE, like a drone cam. That’s what Im talking about.
Greets, Ato
ZipperZbieracz

Unread post by ZipperZbieracz » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:51 am

Skins existed before the feature, just were only client-side and it changes only the looks. You can drive on stock cars with updated textures too. Adding skins doesnt break/modify the core mechanic of the game which is racing on tracks. Changing start acceleration mechanics does so its a no go. Game is a code, and players can discover new things the code allows to do 10 years after the release. GTA VC can be finished in 12 minutes. Here we have a start boost, which I see as a "perfect start" feature/glitch, its just not poping up a text on your screen informing about making it because revolt doeant spam the screen with unnecessary info and points like many games, especially new ones do.