Disable Car Collision in MP; suggestion regarding getting the same pick-up twice in a row

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
Gorgonzola

Disable Car Collision in MP; suggestion regarding getting the same pick-up twice in a row

Unread post by Gorgonzola » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:37 pm

Lag is something we all have to deal with when playing on-line. Sometimes you can get pushed by some lagging racer, completely ruining a race if given the right conditions. Setting up an option to enable/disable car collision can be a good solution to this. Pick-Ups may work anyway, even the bomb, that dont need actual physical contact to be transferred to other player (or is it?).

And other thing that irks me (and maybe not only me), is getting 2, 3, or even 5 bombs in a single row. Well maybe 5 is too much, but two bombs in a row is an unfair advantage. Or even worse, if an opponent gets two zaps, (the only pickup beside the star you cant counter with anything (given the chance you can get a turbo battery) and has 100% effectiveness), or two batteries. All of those cases can affect strongly in the outcome of a race.
So what if we could set a condition? You can not get the same pick-up twice in a row. That way racers might have to learn to manage their pick-ups more wisely, and also reduces that luck-based factor without disserving the fun that racing with pick-ups always have.
ciccio

Re: Disable Car Collision in MP; suggestion regarding getting the same pick-up twice in a row

Unread post by ciccio » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:49 pm

About disabling collisions in multiplayer, I think there should be an option (or even hardcoded) so that players above a certain ping or below a certain min upload speed don't have collisions and their picks don't have any effect (especially the zap). About getting the same pickup in a row, while I agree that some pickups shouldn't happen in the same short time span or twice at all (star and bomb for example), the game also needs some balance about the pickup chances before these things could happen. Otherwise we are just going to find some other broke element in the pickups, or we may dumb them down too much, which is not good as one of the main selling point of this game is that you can go full mario kart style or gran turismo mode with just the flick of a switch.