Auto-update GameControllerDB from GitHub?

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
7wells

Auto-update GameControllerDB from GitHub?

Unread post by 7wells » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:10 pm

Hello,

Is the GameControllerDB in RVGL static? If yes, maybe it could in the future be auto-updated from there:
https://github.com/gabomdq/SDL_GameControllerDB
(last update Sep 2, 2020)
Huki
Developer

Re: Auto-update GameControllerDB from GitHub?

Unread post by Huki » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:10 pm

Yes, they are static. I update it manually as new commits could always introduce bugs or regressions. SDL2 already includes a large list of hardcoded mappings, so these additional mapping are not so important.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:20 pm

Thanks for your kind explanation, which makes sense to me.
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi Huki,

Would yo please kindly consider adding this:
37663434643763616134346361313334,unu controller,platform:Android,a:b0,b:b1,x:b2,y:b3,back:b4,start:b6,leftstick:b7,rightstick:b8,leftshoulder:b9,rightshoulder:b10,dpup:h0.1,dpdown:h0.4,dpleft:h0.8,dpright:h0.2,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightx:a2,righty:a5,lefttrigger:b15,righttrigger:b16,
I used your controllermap app on the Fire TV. As you might remember, I was not able to run through the whole process, because I could not assign the second last button (large one in the middle), as that one is reserved on my gamepad ("unu controller") to switch mode.

You told me to simply click outside the controllermap layout in order to skip a button, and I replied that this is not possible on the Fire TV, as it has no touch screen (but is connected to a TV - usually). And hitting the back button on the remote control quit the app, so that was no solution, either.

Now I have played around a little bit with scrcpy, which enables to mirror an Andoird device's screen on the laptop or PC (via adb or remote adb). And in that window, it is possible to left-click outside the controllermap app and thus skip a button. The code above is the result, and I would be really grateful if you added it.

Worth to note for "unu controller" owners: It is set to "Digital" mode (there are also "Cloud" and "Analog" modes).

If you still think it is not worth adding this, I am not sad, understanding that I can play with my personal setting in the player's profile. :)

PS: The same controller (also "Digital" mode) with the same buttons setup under WIndows 10 looks as follows:
030000004b2900000110000000000000,unu controller,platform:Windows,a:b19,b:b18,x:b17,y:b16,back:b11,start:b10,leftstick:b13,rightstick:b12,leftshoulder:b15,rightshoulder:b14,dpup:h0.1,dpdown:h0.4,dpleft:h0.8,dpright:h0.2,leftx:a0,-lefty:-a1,+lefty:+a2,rightx:a3,righty:a6,lefttrigger:b9,righttrigger:b8,
I do not know why for Windows there is one more, sorry.
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:11 am

Are you sure you used the latest version of the controller map app to generate this mapping? The GUID will be different and will not match what RVGL expects if you used the old version.

Also, I'm curious how the controller behaves if you don't add a custom mapping. Is there some functionality missing?
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:12 am

Already before I used the controllermap app, I was unable to assign the leftbutton & rightbutton (for brake and acceleration). Therefore, I tried the controllermap app, but I am now indeed unsure about the version. I will check, try again, and report here.

Under which circumstances is the controllermap app needed when using the latest RVGL version?

BTW, would you consider assigning these 2 buttons to brake & acceleration by default? Or are there advantages using the up/down directions of the left stick?

I will continue there:
viewtopic.php?p=5245#p5245
7wells

Unread post by 7wells » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:06 pm

Hello, any hints about my last post here? Thank you! :)