Custom starting position in time trials

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
hajducsekb

Custom starting position in time trials

Unread post by hajducsekb » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:41 pm

Hey!

I've been noticing more and more recently how much of a pain it is to go back each time in Time Trial mode. You mess up at the very beginning, you have to go back again, etc. I think a good solution would be the following:
Add support for a seperate file, where the time trial starting pos/reposition can be defined. This wouldn't cause CHT in online (cause it's a different file, and wouldn't be loaded), and would make lives much easier.
I think a good way of naming the files would be "trackfoldertt.inf". This falls in with the consistency of track files starting with the same name, and it also indicates that it's for time trials. For nhood1, it could be a file called "nhood1tt.inf".
In my opinion, this file should have 1 line:

Code: Select all

STARTPOS 0 0 0
the same way as it is in the actual track information. Except, this would only be loaded for time trials.
People could also easily create a pack of these files for already existing tracks. ;)

Thanks in advance!
HAJDUC DOT COM
kiwi

Re: Custom starting position in time trials

Unread post by kiwi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:46 am

I really like the idea, but I think it should be integrated in the existing levels .inf-file, for example by naming it TTPOS. Other settings like this was added before during development of RVGL (ENDPOS, CHALLENGE, DIFFICULTY,...) , and if everyone have the same .inf-file, it cause no CHT tag. I see no reason to make a separate file for this.
hajducsekb

Unread post by hajducsekb » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:54 pm

Oh, in that case, that could work. I assume the same line could be added to stock tracks then without any difficulty? :)
HAJDUC DOT COM
hajducsekb

Unread post by hajducsekb » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:18 pm

Coming back to this, because I've thought about this recently. I think it'd still be nicer to have it as a seperate file, as tracks and track packs get updated often. This means, that every time someone downloads a pack again, the .inf file gets overwritten, therefore, the starting position gets lost, and it has to be redone.
HAJDUC DOT COM
Famous

Unread post by Famous » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:57 pm

Much appreciated.
Please add this feature.

Unread post by 607 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:44 pm

Kiwi wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:46 am and if everyone have the same .inf-file, it cause no CHT tag.
But people won't have the same inf file, because most people won't have set a custom time trial starting position and those that do will have different ones. :)
I bet 'old are' time trialers will be against this, though. Personally I don't care much about the driving back to a suitable starting position either. Usually I find a route so that I can have multiple attempts in a row, but if I mess up right away of course I'll still have to drive back.
Edit: Maybe not, considering Famous' response. :P
hajducsekb

Unread post by hajducsekb » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:09 pm

But people won't have the same inf file, because most people won't have set a custom time trial starting position and those that do will have different ones.
Yes, I agree with this, I first misunderstood what Kiwi said. I think it would be better if we had seperate files, because that way, people could set their own Time Trial starting position. And like I've said, it could also be set for already existing tracks.
I bet 'old are' time trialers will be against this, though.
The people who have been around playing the game for longer are often those who also like time trialing, and I feel like this could especially help people with a competitive mindset. I feel like most players would agree with the addition of this feature.
Usually I find a route so that I can have multiple attempts in a row, but if I mess up right away of course I'll still have to drive back.
This suggestion is mostly about that second part of your sentence. However, I feel like I never get to the end of the lap, when trying to go for the limits of a track. So I always have to drive back on certain tracks (and I know this is true for people like Fam, who time trial a lot.
HAJDUC DOT COM

Unread post by 607 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:48 pm

hajducsekb wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:09 pm
Usually I find a route so that I can have multiple attempts in a row, but if I mess up right away of course I'll still have to drive back.
This suggestion is mostly about that second part of your sentence. However, I feel like I never get to the end of the lap, when trying to go for the limits of a track. So I always have to drive back on certain tracks (and I know this is true for people like Fam, who time trial a lot.
True. Also, when you're at that level, you can't afford to use a route that leads to a good starting spot on some tracks (that being tracks where the fastest way to the finish line does not have you end up in a great starting spot on the next lap).
I am in favour of this suggestion.