[Done] OBTAIN for Levels

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
kiwi

Re-Volt [Done] OBTAIN for Levels

Unread post by kiwi » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:11 pm

A possibility to set an OBTAIN code for levels would bring whole new possibilities for creators of tracks or mods.

For cars OBTAIN will be used like this in the current version of RVGL:
  • -1 - Unlock with CARNIVAL cheat
  • 0 - Unlocked at start
  • 1 - Unlock when winning a Championship (in combination with the cars RATING)
  • 3 - Unlock when finding all Practice mode stars (in combination with cars RATING)
  • 4 - Unlock when winning all Singleplayer Races (in combination with cars RATING)
  • 5 - Unlock when collecting all stars on the Stunt Arena mode (Added in RVGL Release 20.0210a - Thanks a lot for this Huki!)

For custom levels something similar could be added.

For example...
  • -1 - Unlock with TRACKER cheat
  • 0 - Standard (Unlocked at Start, or when a stock track, unlocked the same way as before)
  • 1 - Unlock when winning a Championship (in combination with the tracks DIFFICULTY (*))
  • 3 - Unlock when finding all Practice mode stars (in combination with tracks DIFFICULTY (*))
  • 4 - Unlock when winning all Singleplayer Races (in combination with tracks DIFFICULTY (*))
  • 5 - Unlock when collecting all stars on the Stunt Arena mode
(*): 1 = Bronze; 2 = Silver; 3 = Gold; 4 = Platinium

Example:
With this track configuration file, the track "Spa-Volt 1" will only be available, when people has finished the Platinium Cup:
NAME		'Spa-Volt 1'
OBTAIN          1
DIFFICULTY	4
CHALLENGE	0 47 000
CHALLENGEREV	0 47 000
STARTPOS	2500 0 2750
STARTPOSREV	-1700 0 -1350
STARTROT	0.75
STARTROTREV	0.25
STARTGRID	4
STARTGRIDREV	1
FARCLIP		50000
FOGSTART	40000
FOGCOLOR	0 0 0
WORLDRGBPER	15
MODELRGBPER	50
INSTANCERGBPER15
SHADOWBOX	-91
MUSIC		'levels\spavolt1\custom\music.ogg'
ENVSTILL	'levels\spavolt1\custom\envstill.bmp'
TEXTUREPROPS	0 1 0 0
TEXTUREPROPS	1 1 0 0
TEXTUREPROPS	2 1 0 1
TEXTUREPROPS	3 1 0 0
TEXTUREPROPS	4 1 0 1
TEXTUREPROPS	5 1 0 1
TEXTUREPROPS	6 1 0 0
TEXTUREPROPS	7 1 0 1
TEXTUREPROPS	8 1 0 0
TEXTUREPROPS	9 1 0 1
Huki
Developer

Re: OBTAIN for Levels

Unread post by Huki » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:12 pm

How do you think unlocking of reverse / mirror / reverse-mirror variants should be handled? I thought about it this way:
(also, you've missed Obtain 2 for some reason - unlock by completing Time Trials).

Edit: List updated on 24-04-2020.
  • -1 - Never Unlock (unless DEV or TRACKER cheat).
  • 0 - Standard (Unlocked at Start or the same way as before for Stocks).
  • 1 - Unlock when winning a Championship (based on DIFFICULTY).
  • 2 - Unlock by completing Time Trials in Normal mode (based on DIFFICULTY).
  • 3 - Unlock when finding all Practice mode stars (based on DIFFICULTY).
  • 4 - Unlock when winning all Singleplayer Races (based on DIFFICULTY).
  • 5 - Unlock when collecting all stars on the Stunt Arena mode.
For all OBTAIN values above (and not including) 0, the R/M/RM variants will be unlocked by completing the track's Time Trial challenges (as described in p4666).
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:26 pm

This sounds like a good plan, Huki. I think it's OK for custom tracks, when the R/M/RM will be unlocked together with the main track. Looking forward for an implementation in one of the next RVGL releases. :eyes:

I missed the Obtain 2 method, cause it's also missing at the Re-Volt Wiki entry. I wasn't able to find a documentation for how Obtain works somewhere else - for example in the RVGL documentation. Only Obtain 5 is described there.

Unread post by 607 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:25 am

This would be very nice for full mods such as MARVLE, although I've got to say I hope creators wouldn't use it for normal track releases. :P Yes, of course you can go into the ini to change it, but it causes confusion to install a track and have it not show up in your installation. Although, considering this... locked cars don't show up at all. Locked tracks however do, but aren't selectable. Do you think you will implement this like that too? That would at least remove most of the confusion from a track not showing up.
Huki
Developer

Unread post by Huki » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:52 pm

Actually, I just remembered that custom tracks can have their own challenge times. It means it can work like this:
  • Unlock R by beating the track's Normal Time Trial challenge.
  • Unlock M by beating the track's Reversed Time Trial challenge.
  • Unlock RM by beating the track's Mirrored Time Trial challenge.
If a challenge time was not set, the variant is automatically unlocked (along with the main track).

I think because of the way this works, the OBTAIN option can only be supported for custom tracks. Stocks will be unlocked the way they are now. Are you fine with this, or is OBTAIN support for stock tracks important for you?
I updated the list in p4651. I guess when OBTAIN 0 is used - stocks can be unlocked as before and with OBTAIN 1 or above, use the new unlock mechanism (even for stocks).
kiwi

Unread post by kiwi » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:58 pm

This all sounds very good. I like the fact, that OBTAIN 2 can be used for an unlock when beating the custom tracks challenge time. Also the possibility, to set a different OBTAIN for one of the stock tracks is very useful for Total Conversions. :eyes:

Regarding backward-compatibility for tracks which don't use the new OBTAIN setting: In this case always 0 will be used, right?

Cause you mentioned the challenge times: I hope you also saw my suggestion in this thread, regarding the challenge times on stock tracks.