[Change Request] Battle Tag Jump issue - Prohibit Axis key mapping and key macros for Repo/Jump button

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
halo_one

[Change Request] Battle Tag Jump issue - Prohibit Axis key mapping and key macros for Repo/Jump button

Unread post by halo_one » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:15 pm

Howdy,

I'm seeing more Battle Tag people being creative when it comes to the jump (reposition) button. Sometimes people find it easier or convenient to bind the Jump button either to a mouse axis key (e.g. scroll-wheel) or bind it under a key macro. Why?

Jumping is a must in Tag. The faster you can press it multiple times, the higher you jump, making it easier to get on ledges. The most well know of these jumps is the Double-Jump; you press the repo button twice but really fast, that you get a boost in the air, which even makes you jump higher than a single jump (1x repo push). It comes in really handy but learning Double jumps in Tag takes some time to master. It requires effort to make it a skill.

You can imagine that a Triple Jump will make you fly even higher. Don't know how it works in the programming of the game, but I've seen it work. Problem is that doing a Triple Jump is almost humanly impossible. But, if you use Axis button binding or Macro keys, you can easily automate Triple+ jumps. I have seen people who did this in the past. One push of a button and you are outside the level with a 10+ jump.

You can imagine that it takes all the fun out of tag. See it like this; it is the same as an auto-fire cheat but then for jumps. In my opinion, without the concensus of a whole group, that is cheating. The game is not supposed to be that way. Same as a perfect cheat car, you can make one and use it, but that does not mean that you should, because the use of it is disproportional to people who dont use that car.

And don't get me wrong, I say cheating while some might see it as a convenience. Still, as we all agree on no cheat cars and other enhancements in game, this falls in the same category.

So my suggestion is simple, but I don't know if its possible in the RVGL code:

1) prohibit certain keys from being mapped to certain functions, e.g. no axis keys binding on jump/repo key
2) Detect humanly impossible button repetition rates, e.g. an 80ms minimum would be acceptable. 50ms is most certainly a axis key or macro button or a robot.
3) Put consequences on the use jump enhancements .e.g. display (CHT) or have em lose weapons and car shutdown for a short time.

Again I do not accuse people of cheating as a conscious decision; it is probably more like a choice of convenience.

But let me warn those who read this and keep doing it. I have seen the down side of unintended game enhancements. People accusing each other of cheating (whether true or not), a rise of mistrust and finally gaming friendships falling apart because of it. It is sad to see when that happens. You see good players quitting the game because of it. And that sucks!

So for now, everyone who has read this knows what is possible. The question to each and everyone is: are you prepared to do the right thing.

As for the programmers of this game:
1) are my suggestions possible?
2) are you willing to implement?

Any feedback is welcome!

Cheers,

halo one

Re: [Change Request] Battle Tag Jump issue - Prohibit Axis key mapping and key macros for Repo/Jump button

Unread post by 607 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:23 pm

Thanks for your post!
I haven't played Battle Tag recently and haven't seen this issue, but I would also like it to not be possible. I think double jumps themselves might be unintended, however, so it might be a bit strange to remove the ability to very easily do it but keep the ability to do it at all.
However, I personally agree with your suggestion. Well, except for this:
3) Put consequences on the use jump enhancements .e.g. [...] have em lose weapons and car shutdown for a short time.
That will cause confusion and encourage people to keep using the jump enhancements, because it seems balanced.