Music in multiplayer

Post suggestions regarding RVGL here in this subforum.
URV
Administrator

Music in multiplayer

Unread post by URV » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:29 am

I have a couple of requests regarding the way in-game music works in multiplayer:
  • Music should not start playing until all players are done loading the track. As it is right now, the music starts playing for each player as soon as the game is done loading the track. This can sometimes result in over 15 seconds of waiting for the race to begin… with upbeat racing music in the background. It would be nice to have the music start playing for everyone at the same time instead.
  • All players should hear the same song. I haven't tested this yet (which is a bit troublesome to do), so I am actually unsure whether the randomisation of REDBOOK songs is different for each player—however, if it is so, I believe it would be better if the game were to ensure every player hears the same song. After all, what's the point of getting the timing right if the songs are different anyway?
These are just minor nitpicks, undeniably of a low priority, but I hope to see them implemented in the near future.
ZipperZbieracz

Re: Music in multiplayer

Unread post by ZipperZbieracz » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:53 pm

1. Either leave it as it is now, or make the music launch 0,5s~1s after the GO!. Still, some songs do not start upbeat but they start with a small intro so the players would start a race with a few seconds of a calm song intro, which again is not ideal. Maybe the song should start when the number "3" starts to appear?

2. To work properly this could be done the way the custom skins work, the randomized song on the side of the host would determine which song would play for all other players, but if other players do not have the song, they would get their own (different random) song.
chenhonkster

Unread post by chenhonkster » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:45 pm

should simply use the player synchronization as the key for that, yes?
flyboy

Unread post by flyboy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:48 am

I would love this! Also you could just have the music play right after the countdown too.
:blender: